Joe Philbin

I honestly cannot follow whether you and Huck hate this hire or like it. I think hate.

Comparing JP's resume with either Davis or BF's is a joke. Philbin has a deep college and NFL resume. He has been a successful OL coach and OC. He rose to the level of NFL HC, twice. The man has demonstrated that he knows how to coach and develop individual players, he has been a successful play caller, and he has experience as a CEO. Davis and BF had little of those attributes.

This is strong hire. Better than we deserve, frankly.
I was messing with some guys with my post. I am 100% that Joe Philbin should be our next OC. Not even close.

I hate rumor mills. However, I am obsessed with HN and Facebook and HawkCentral, and the Gazette to get news on the new OC.

KF said today (video posted) that he's talked with 3 candidates and that hire would not be announced until after bowl

He probably shot the shit with a couple old buddies like Philbin, but his intentions all along was just to elevate Budamyr so he can keep his iron grip on his well-manicured offense. Sigh.

I kind of thought they would hold the announcement until after Brian was formally out. It would be a bit awkward otherwise.
It's already awkward.

It's really not that much different from announcing a new head coach for next season while an interim or retiring coach coaches the bowl game.

I'm not knowledgeable about the personnel policies of the University, but my past experience in state government is that openings are posted internally for a set number of days. If no candidate is qualified internally then it goes out externally. In the case of Budmyr (sp) he probably would be treated as an internal employee. I really doubt Budmyr will be the OC especially when oral conversations with three individuals have taken place and verified. My advice is relax about the hiring. You and I are not in the decision process.

I am so happy to see that Philbin would be a poor choice. His resume’ and potentially his ability to influence KF is just a nothing burger.

It is, of course, not possible that KF might hire him with the goal of improving his offense? A guy with Iowa roots, power 5 and NFL credentials? OC and QB guru for the Packers and Aaron Rogers not qualified to be our OC?

Sometimes the stupidity here is mind boggling.
Watch yourself, Huck, ending statements like that will get you put in the Hawkeye Nation, Gulag, oh and I saw your comment about Larry = wasted food, I'm doing okay here, Putin comes by a couple times a week, walks by the cell and says, "Go Hawks", in Russian. If you do get put in here, I suggested we have separate cells, probably best for both of us.

I don’t think Kirk wants a new offense.
He’s just needs a new OC.
exactly, this is Kirk's offense, I think he likes it and to be honest, do we all really want to sit through the installation and growing pains that comes along with that this late in his tenure? Does he? Probably not.

exactly, this is Kirk's offense, I think he likes it and to be honest, do we all really want to sit through the installation and growing pains that comes along with that this late in his tenure? Does he? Probably not.
I get it, but seriously, there is almost nothing to lose. At this point, we could switch to a full house backfield and run Army's offense and the performance could not be much worse. Was it OSU last year where the stats suggested that if Iowa took a knee on every play they would have fared better than actually running the offense?

That said, a new OC does not mean a complete philosophy change. A pro style offense can work. We just need better teachers and playcallers and players. Easy peasy!

My take after reading Chad L’s latest. Most clear statement by KF: We will play complementary football, period. The new OC will understand that. It works. End of story.

It sounded to me like KF is down to 4 candidates. Paul C. Is one. Philbin is another. 2 are unknown.

Sounds to me like there are a good number of good candidates.

As noted here, no decision until after the bowl game.

I approve this message.

If he wouldn’t do it for his own son, why he would he do it for anyone else?

I get it, but seriously, there is almost nothing to lose. At this point, we could switch to a full house backfield and run Army's offense and the performance could not be much worse. Was it OSU last year where the stats suggested that if Iowa took a knee on every play they would have fared better than actually running the offense?

That said, a new OC does not mean a complete philosophy change. A pro style offense can work. We just need better teachers and playcallers and players. Easy peasy!
I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case in last year’s OSU. game. I wouldn’t be surprised if that applies to this year’s BIG championship game.

Umm…I didn’t compare Philbin to the other two at all so no idea where that’s coming from. Rose to head coach? He was interim because he had tenure on the staff. Was he a great OL coach? Hell to the yeah. But once again, there’s a reason why he’s rising to the surface here. 1. Kf can’t find/doesn’t trust anyone else or very few. 2. Philbin is buddies with Ferentz and they have similar philosophies. Which this is the entire issue. Kf doesn’t trust many & the ones he does, it will have kf stamped all over the gameplan so kf will always be the coordinator in the end. 3. Philbin is either at the end of the line because he isn’t a hot name anymore or doesn’t have his heart in it because he’s been doing consulting work.

Would this be better than nearly every hire since he left? Sure, but he isn’t the best option around. He’s the best option Ferentz is comfortable with.

But the way of ferentz is his way. Like it or not. And it’ll never change

Umm…I didn’t compare Philbin to the other two at all so no idea where that’s coming from. Rose to head coach? He was interim because he had tenure on the staff. Was he a great OL coach? Hell to the yeah. But once again, there’s a reason why he’s rising to the surface here. 1. Kf can’t find/doesn’t trust anyone else or very few. 2. Philbin is buddies with Ferentz and they have similar philosophies. Which this is the entire issue. Kf doesn’t trust many & the ones he does, it will have kf stamped all over the gameplan so kf will always be the coordinator in the end. 3. Philbin is either at the end of the line because he isn’t a hot name anymore or doesn’t have his heart in it because he’s been doing consulting work.

Would this be better than nearly every hire since he left? Sure, but he isn’t the best option around. He’s the best option Ferentz is comfortable with.

But the way of ferentz is his way. Like it or not. And it’ll never change
My post was responding to yours and Huck's posts together, which he has now said was a joke on his part. I will say, your last sentence you referenced Philbin being an offensive line coach, and said "sound familiar." Seemed like a shot at/comparison to BF to me.

And, Philbin was the Dolphins coach for 4 years, so yes, he rose to the level of a HC in the NFL. He wasn't amazing at it, but he didn't completely suck.

I agree with the last two paragraphs of your post above 100%

My take after reading Chad L’s latest. Most clear statement by KF: We will play complementary football, period. The new OC will understand that. It works. End of story.

It sounded to me like KF is down to 4 candidates. Paul C. Is one. Philbin is another. 2 are unknown.

Sounds to me like there are a good number of good candidates.

As noted here, no decision until after the bowl game.

I approve this message.
Are you sure Paul C. is for sure one? Verified?