Joe Philbin

I get not enjoying sitting in a living room eating stale cake and kissing a 17 year old kids' ass, but I cannot imagine the grind of coaching in the NFL is any better. Again, I doubt he has any interest, but worth a phone call to see.
I remember a study of NFL coaches working ungodly hours, so much so that it was damaging to their health.

Plus Mike Sherman was in the Philbin, O'Keefe and Kirk circle from their Worcester days. So at the point you probably bring Mike Sherman in too and end this thing the way they started.

I'm guessing Sherman is still close with Favre, too, so you could probably get Favre with that $100k consulting gig that Budmayr filled last season. Maybe he turns down the cash and just volunteers, seems like he something he'd do. Favre has always been a good mentor, both personally and professionally, for young men trying to find their way. Not hard to imagine that Petras might have a breakout year under his tutelage, either this fall or in 2024 if he needs a medical redshirt before getting healthy. The Manning boys said Petras was one of the stars at their camp last summer, so a year with Sherman and Favre maybe puts him in the pros in 2025.
The dominoes are starting to fall.

The average stop for NFL coaches is 3-4 years. It is a volatile working industry and coaches come and go regularly. That Philbin has moved around, been fired, and had ups and downs is not remarkable.

Reluctantly? LOL

KF somehow convinces a guy to be his OC who has 25+ years of coaching, been an OC in college and the NFL, worked successfully with a HOF QB, and been a head NFL coach? Hell, we should all run naked down the Ped Mall if this were to happen. Its a fun hypothetical, but not way Philbin would be interested in this gig.
This might pose a problem with animal control and the DNR.

Need to be singing Werewolves of London during that run.

Meanwhile PSU has lost and replaced an OC and a DC. Kirk is still stacking BBs. I imagine the interviews are nothing more than him telling the candidates' 'what we do'.

I’d rather not have Kirk have any say into the matter. That would give us some chance of having an offense with a punch.

Unless Kirk retires I of course realize that Kirk as head coach has the right to chose who will be the replacement………… unfortunately.

I have very, very low expectations in Kirk’s ability to bring in an offensive coordinator that will bring any significant changes on the offensive side of ball.

Maybe Joe joins staff but not as OC and is also helping Kirk think about the OC and the offense
Doubtful. There is no leverage from philbin’s standpoint outside of going back into retirement. And he’s on record 20 years ago as not having any interest in recruiting so he shares that aspect with kirk. Takeaway, they aren’t the life of the party these days

I am so happy to see that Philbin would be a poor choice. His resume’ and potentially his ability to influence KF is just a nothing burger.

It is, of course, not possible that KF might hire him with the goal of improving his offense? A guy with Iowa roots, power 5 and NFL credentials? OC and QB guru for the Packers and Aaron Rogers not qualified to be our OC?

Sometimes the stupidity here is mind boggling.

I am so happy to see that Philbin would be a poor choice. His resume’ and potentially his ability to influence KF is just a nothing burger.

It is, of course, not possible that KF might hire him with the goal of improving his offense? A guy with Iowa roots, power 5 and NFL credentials? OC and QB guru for the Packers and Aaron Rogers not qualified to be our OC?

Sometimes the stupidity here is mind boggling.
You miss the point. Any lack of success of Philbin would have way more to do with Ferentz and his control tendencies than the retired and recruiting challenged philbin. Quite obviously, there was a day he showed competence in an NFL setting. Whether it was being in the right place at the right time is anyone’s guess but I’ll give him the benefit. But it doesn’t appear his door has been beaten down lately to come and work his offensive magic until blast from the past Ferentz gives him a call. As they say, time will tell, but his last off coordination was done six years ago in 2018. Since then, he’s been an offensive lin coach. Sound familiar?

Well, if you hear a report of a middle age lawyer getting arrested for streaking in downtown IC, you will know I fulfilled my statement.

I am seriously pumped about this. Never thought we could land somebody with this resume and background, and someone who KF might give leeway to do his thing. Let's hope Coach Philben has gas left in the tank!!!!!

Well, if you hear a report of a middle age lawyer getting arrested for streaking in downtown IC, you will know I fulfilled my statement.

I am seriously pumped about this. Never thought we could land somebody with this resume and background, and someone who KF might give leeway to do his thing. Let's hope Coach Philben has gas left in the tank!!!!!

Is it confirmed or just social media talk? I mean I don't take what's stated/edited in Wikipedia as concrete evidence.

You miss the point. Any lack of success of Philbin would have way more to do with Ferentz and his control tendencies than the retired and recruiting challenged philbin. Quite obviously, there was a day he showed competence in an NFL setting. Whether it was being in the right place at the right time is anyone’s guess but I’ll give him the benefit. But it doesn’t appear his door has been beaten down lately to come and work his offensive magic until blast from the past Ferentz gives him a call. As they say, time will tell, but his last off coordination was done six years ago in 2018. Since then, he’s been an offensive lin coach. Sound familiar?
I honestly cannot follow whether you and Huck hate this hire or like it. I think hate.

Comparing JP's resume with either Davis or BF's is a joke. Philbin has a deep college and NFL resume. He has been a successful OL coach and OC. He rose to the level of NFL HC, twice. The man has demonstrated that he knows how to coach and develop individual players, he has been a successful play caller, and he has experience as a CEO. Davis and BF had little of those attributes.

This is strong hire. Better than we deserve, frankly.

I honestly cannot follow whether you and Huck hate this hire or like it. I think hate.

Comparing JP's resume with either Davis or BF's is a joke. Philbin has a deep college and NFL resume. He has been a successful OL coach and OC. He rose to the level of NFL HC, twice. The man has demonstrated that he knows how to coach and develop individual players, he has been a successful play caller, and he has experience as a CEO. Davis and BF had little of those attributes.

This is strong hire. Better than we deserve, frankly.

If only they could bring Reese Morgan back to pair with him. Get that O-line straight.

I believe he was as an advisor of some sort for Ohio State last season.

All together now

Werewolves-of-london GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It’s not unusual when a coach retirees that the torch is passed to a younger assistant, often times the offensive coordinator. Hopefully Kirk and Beth are wise enough to be looking beyond today and down the road.

Hayden greatest legacy wasn’t just what he built at Iowa but other programs that were blessed by those he taught and prepared for their own careers moving forward. Hayden truly was a blessing for fans of different programs through out college football.

Not sure if that will be true for Kirk, but it could happen later on. Time will tell. He needs to start with Fort Kinnick and that time is now.

I am enjoying the fact that so many of you thought Iowa was going to upgrade at OC because they fired Brian. I have very little faith in that. Philbin would be a home run. You can't spend the last 7 years bitching about how unqualified Brian was for the gig and then be like "nah, we need someone better than Joe fucking Philbin" lol.

Latest posts