Joe Labas

Teddy

Rewatched the 22 bowl game. Why on Earth did Hill play? Why did Hill play in so many games this year? Labas was so much better, in almost everything but arm strength than Hill. Much better runner and could throw on the run.

We may not see practice but we do see the games. Hill was appalling. Two games with good completion rates, otherwise way under 500.

Iowa really needs a QB that can play right away. McNamara seems fragile. We cannot go through another season with Hill.

I think Labas got dinged in the preseason and my guess is that Kirk just stuck with the guy who had reps. Joe Labas wasn't the difference between winning and losing last night and Deacon won every game except for the Minnesota game that the refs handed over to the Goofs, so I don't know how much it would have changed anything.

Rewatched the 22 bowl game. Why on Earth did Hill play? Why did Hill play in so many games this year? Labas was so much better, in almost everything but arm strength than Hill. Much better runner and could throw on the run.

We may not see practice but we do see the games. Hill was appalling. Two games with good completion rates, otherwise way under 500.

Iowa really needs a QB that can play right away. McNamara seems fragile. We cannot go through another season with Hill.
Welcome to the bandwagon. I've just shipped a t-shirt to your address.

I think Labas got dinged in the preseason and my guess is that Kirk just stuck with the guy who had reps. Joe Labas wasn't the difference between winning and losing last night and Deacon won every game except for the Minnesota game that the refs handed over to the Goofs, so I don't know how much it would have changed anything.
I think that most likely you are right in saying that Labas wasn’t the difference between Winning and Losing last night but there’s no way to know for sure. Look at the drive charts for Michigan. All but 3 to 12 points was gifted to them by the offense and special teams. The Labas that played in last year’s bowl game might have been good enough to make a difference. Of course the flaw in my argument is that I am taking away the touchdown that the punt team essentially gave up. Labas plus Cooper quite possibly would have made the game very different. I don’t know. I guess I keep coming back to this defense was spectacular and deserves better and a different quarterback might give them a chance.

I'm convinced Labas scores points in one of the two games we were shut out, and it's not as if Deacon didn't have more than a few awful turnovers that should have cost us more games than they did. The thing about Deacon is that he didn't win us any games this year. We're lucky as hell he didn't cost us multiple. Dude has no upside and plenty of downside. Never giving another guy a look is insane. It would be one thing if he didn't turn the ball over, but he does, and quite a lot given his complete lack of ability. It's like playing Stanzi for a full season if Stanzi sucked at football.

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

It doesn't get much worse than this.

Last edited:
Deacon Hill's career stats:

Spencer Petras's career stats:

Petras was so, so bad. Hill is so much worse.

Let's be more accurate. Hill was the QB in 6 of 8 games he played in the Hawks won. The defense and more times than not special teams won the games. To be more clear, Iowa won those 6 games in spite of Hill and his slow footwork, inability to scramble and taking to long to throw the ball on most passes.

He should only be in some beer league and I'm being kind to beer leagues everywhere..

Deacon is a really good teammate, articulate, and transparent. Gave it his best shot with great courage. That said, Kirk needs to tell him to get in the portal and go have some fun elsewhere.
Labas has shown up in one game with minimal results, but could not displace Hill in the long run. If the coaching staff thought Joe should have been the starter, he would have been the starter. It is not like Kirk was the only coach who thought Hill was our best bet. So, Joe, get in the portal. You have been around long enough to prove yourself and it did not happen.
We have Cade coming back as the starter. Groom our freshman as our back up, or go to the portal for that spot If we can find a decent transfer who is willing to back up Cade with some hope for the future.
I can’t recall the new recruits that will join the QB room in 2024. Maybe the future is theirs to grab.
Then introduce our new OC and get to work. Maybe let Barnett go as well.

Is Labas most likely on the next train out of town?
I would think so.

Now that our future permanent AD has clawed back some of Kirk’s unchecked power, she needs to give him an ultimatum. The ENTIRE offensive staff, from Betts to Barnett, and especially Budmayr, need to be relieved of their duties effective January 2nd. Budmayr’s pet project, Hill, needs to be thanked for stepping in but should be encouraged to transfer out. That would be in his best interests as he is not a D1 quarterback . Or at least P5. If not, then expect to be at the bottom of the depth chart. We need to move forward with McNamara (if his health ever allows it) and Lainez and the young guys. Give Lainez half the bowl practice reps. We will never have a dual threat quarterback under Kirk, but we need one who can at least move in the pocket. This is ridiculous.

And Kirk needs to be told that his new OC has to actually have OC experience and if this guy was never a quarterback or a quarterbacks coach then he needs to hire a quarterbacks coach in addition. Someone who can actually DEVELOP quarterbacks.

Kirk’s offenses have been messed up ever since the Greg Davis hire. And we know why that dinosaur was hired in the first place. He was never more than a placeholder for Brian until Kirk methodically promoted Junior up through the ranks.
O-line coach > O-line coach/ Run game coordinator > OC > OC /qb coach (the biggest joke of all) > Head coach. NOPE. The only silver lining in this nepotistic shitstorm.

Kirk needs to be told he can play by new rules and quit micromanaging the offense because his track record is there for EVERYONE to see.
If he does he might actually enjoy some success in the “new” conference in the next five years and might have a realistic shot at Woody’s Big Ten victory total. (Because you know he wants it).
It needs to be drilled into Kirk, repeatedly, that he will no longer have a weak west division to compete in. I think Six wins/year might be the new norm for us. And that is if Parker doesn’t retire first.

It is long overdue for Kirk to modernize his offense. He most likely doesn’t want to, and even if he did HE wouldn’t know how. He was basically relying on himself and his overmatched son. Pretty sad to witness. Right to the very end. There were absolutely zero new wrinkles last night against a superior opponent. If anything the offensive game plan was even more vanilla and conservative.

If Kirk doesn’t like these new “suggestions” then he should be told he can retire early and discussions can begin about a settlement

Let’s not forget Kirk created this mess. That’s the arrogant side of Kirk. It didn’t end up the way he envisioned. And he probably thought he would always have a neutered Barta to push around.

I believe there might be a new sheriff in town.
Hopeful. At least someone FINALLY stepped in and ended what never should have started.

Now it’s Kirk’s turn. Will there be a power struggle?

Last edited:

Nate Stanley threw more TDs in each of his soph and junior seasons than Petras threw in three years of starting. Hill is terrible. He couldn't throw 25 TD passes if you locked him in the stadium with just receivers for a week.

Last edited:
Is Labas most likely on the next train out of town?
I would think so.

Now that our future permanent AD has clawed back some of Kirk’s unchecked power, she needs to give him an ultimatum. The ENTIRE offensive staff, from Betts to Barnett, and especially Budmayr, need to be relieved of their duties effective January 2nd. Budmayr’s pet project, Hill, needs to be thanked for stepping in but should be encouraged to transfer out. That would be in his best interests as he is not a D1 quarterback . Or at least P5. If not, then expect to be at the bottom of the depth chart. We need to move forward with McNamara (if his health ever allows it) and Lainez and the young guys. Give Lainez half the bowl practice reps. We will never have a dual threat quarterback under Kirk, but we need one who can at least move in the pocket. This is ridiculous.

And Kirk needs to be told that his new OC has to actually have OC experience and if this guy was never a quarterback then he needs to hire a quarterbacks coach in addition. Someone who can actually DEVELOP quarterbacks.

Kirk’s offenses have been messed up ever since the Greg Davis hire. And we know why that dinosaur was hired in the first place. He was never more than a placeholder for Brian until Kirk methodically promoted Junior up through the ranks.
O-line coach > O-line coach/ Run game coordinator > OC > OC /qb coach (the biggest joke of all) > Head coach. NOPE. The only silver lining in this nepotistic shitstorm.

Kirk needs to be told he can play by new rules and quit micromanaging the offense because his track record is there for EVERYONE to see.
If he does he might actually enjoy some success in the “new” conference in the next five years and might have a realistic shot at Woody’s Big Ten victory total. (Because you know he wants it).
It needs to be drilled into Kirk, repeatedly, that he will no longer have a weak west division to compete in. I think Six wins/year might be the new norm for us. And that is if Parker doesn’t retire first.

It is long overdue for Kirk to modernize his offense. He most likely doesn’t want to, and even if he did HE wouldn’t know how. He was basically relying on himself and his overmatched son. Pretty sad to witness. Right to the very end. There were absolutely zero new wrinkles last night against a superior opponent. If anything the offensive game plan was even more vanilla and conservative.

If Kirk doesn’t like these new “suggestions” then he should be told he can retire early and discussions can begin about a settlement

Let’s not forget Kirk created this mess. That’s the arrogant side of Kirk. It didn’t up the way he envisioned. And he probably thought he would always have a neutered Barta to push around.

Hopeful. At least someone FINALLY stepped in and ended what never should have started.

Now it’s Kirk’s turn. Will there be a power struggle?
You know none of what you want is ever going to happen. Beth didn't have a power struggle with Kirk. He obviously said he would return if BF was fired and so BF was fired. Probably a relief to Kirk because that situation had become untenable.

No head coach in the nation would agree to those terms. Certainly not the schools leading career winner coming off a ten-win season would do it or will be asked to do so.

Most of the time KF is the most popular person in Iowa. Caitlyn probably is now, but KF is a beloved figure around the state. You obviously made your point: you disagree. You clearly think KF is responsible for a failed program. Why do you bother to watch?

Let's be more accurate. Hill was the QB in 6 of 8 games he played in the Hawks won. The defense and more times than not special teams won the games. To be more clear, Iowa won those 6 games in spite of Hill and his slow footwork, inability to scramble and taking to long to throw the ball on most passes.

He should only be in some beer league and I'm being kind to beer leagues everywhere..
Same can be said for the one game Labas played in and won. The defense, ST and run game played a much bigger factor in that win than Labas did. Labas obviously showed more ability to move around than Hill, but didn't show much as a QB, especailly as a thrower in that game.

It's possible the offense would have looked better with Labas vs Hill this year, but I don't think we have a Banks, Stanzi, Beathard situation where we were sitting on a much better QB than what we were playing. Our record is likely the same this year with Labas or Hill at QB.

Same can be said for the one game Labas played in and won. The defense, ST and run game played a much bigger factor in that win than Labas did. Labas obviously showed more ability to move around than Hill, but didn't show much as a QB, especailly as a thrower in that game.

It's possible the offense would have looked better with Labas vs Hill this year, but I don't think we have a Banks, Stanzi, Beathard situation where we were sitting on a much better QB than what we were playing. Our record is likely the same this year with Labas or Hill at QB.
Would have beat Minnesota and stayed closer last night. A very mobile QB would have kept defenders home and opened passing lanes. Once you add all the turnovers how can Hill's presence on the field be justified?

Would have beat Minnesota and stayed closer last night. A very mobile QB would have kept defenders home and opened passing lanes. Once you add all the turnovers how can Hill's presence on the field be justified?
You have no idea if that is true or not. It's possible, but he didn't show anything in his one game he played, where he had a month to prepare. Even if they do beat Minnesota with Labas, they could just as easily lose to one of the teams they barely beat with Hill. Labas likely leads an enemic offense if he was the QB, possibly with high turnovers as well. He wasn't all that great in the bowl game and they didn't trust him to do anything. Maybe he would have been better, and I wouldn't have been upset if they gave him a chance, but there is no way of knowing if they would have any different record or results. I'm not holding my breath that he would have been any better if he couldnt beat out Padilla last year or Hill this year.

Agree, 100%. But, as a reality check for next year, could you put up McNamara's #s before he got knocked out for the season, for comparison?

Deacon is a really good teammate, articulate, and transparent. Gave it his best shot with great courage. That said, Kirk needs to tell him to get in the portal and go have some fun elsewhere.
Labas has shown up in one game with minimal results, but could not displace Hill in the long run. If the coaching staff thought Joe should have been the starter, he would have been the starter. It is not like Kirk was the only coach who thought Hill was our best bet. So, Joe, get in the portal. You have been around long enough to prove yourself and it did not happen.
We have Cade coming back as the starter. Groom our freshman as our back up, or go to the portal for that spot If we can find a decent transfer who is willing to back up Cade with some hope for the future.
I can’t recall the new recruits that will join the QB room in 2024. Maybe the future is theirs to grab.
Then introduce our new OC and get to work. Maybe let Barnett go as well.
McNamara isn’t much better, and when you take his injury history into account it probably makes him about equal to Hill.

He’s not the answer. He’s sadly the best we have, but he’s not the answer.

Kirk needs to be told he can play by new rules and quit micromanaging...

It needs to be drilled into Kirk, repeatedly, that he will no longer have a weak west division to compete in...

If Kirk doesn’t like these new “suggestions” then he should be told he can retire early...

You are clueless as to how this thing works.

The donors are the only ones who are going to tell Kirk what to do. Beth Goetz is not, and the BOR doesn't care enough about wins/losses to do anything.

FYI the donors got rid of Brian, not Beth lol, and they still love Kirk.

McNamara isn’t much better, and when you take his injury history into account it probably makes him about equal to Hill.

He’s not the answer. He’s sadly the best we have, but he’s not the answer.
This.
Who seriously thinks McNamara will make it through next season without missing a significant # of games due to injury? Seems like a great guy and leader, but man, the dude is physically fragile...both of his major injuries this year were non-contact.
And does anybody think KF is gonna drop Hill below the #2 QB spot next year, after all the "experience" he got playing "winning football" this season?
Considering all the players returning on Offense next year -- many will have been 3 year starters by then -- it's a shame, but barring a major change in offensive scheme (HA!), it's hard to be optimistic about production from Iowa's QB position next year.

Folks, I wouldn't get your hopes up for Cade next year, that's damaged goods, coming into Iowa and it's even more damaged now. too bad for the kid, however he is doing okay financially. I think KF, is setting himself up and all of us up for another big disappointment, if he is all in on Cade for next year, just saying.