Jermelle Lewis

hawkifan74

I saw in the paper a few days ago that Jermelle is the tailback here in Ottumwa. His team doesn't get paid or anything. I just thought it was interesting that he was here. Apparently he lives in Cedar Rapids now & has blown out both knees, but has rehabed and this is where is going to start his career over again. I always liked Jermelle. He said he saw an ad or something online and answered it. Our course our coach was delighted. The name of the team is the Bridge City Knights and it's only in its second year of existance. Just thought I'd share that with you all. Go Hawkeyes!

love Jermelle's play in 2002, especially when he killed Michigan ... best of luck to him

I saw in the paper a few days ago that Jermelle is the tailback here in Ottumwa. His team doesn't get paid or anything. I just thought it was interesting that he was here. Apparently he lives in Cedar Rapids now & has blown out both knees, but has rehabed and this is where is going to start his career over again. I always liked Jermelle. He said he saw an ad or something online and answered it. Our course our coach was delighted. The name of the team is the Bridge City Knights and it's only in its second year of existance. Just thought I'd share that with you all. Go Hawkeyes!

Great update. Thanks! I've wondered a few times what he is up to these days. I worked at the DI during my junior year and ended up interviewing him for a quick Q&A. Funny, funny guy. I still remember cracking up when I asked him this question:

So who would play you in a movie?
Jermelle: (pause)... I don't think there's too many people that could pull me off

And don't think he was a diva - he was joking all the way. Just a really nice, funny guy.

Good story:
Bridge City Knights to feature former Hawkeye Jermelle Lewis this season Sports The Ottumwa Courier

homepic1.jpg

I still contend we beat USC in 2003 if O'Keefe simply sticks with Jermelle and the running game instead of going out and trying to prove that Banks deserved the Heisman instead of Palmer.

I still contend we beat USC in 2003 if O'Keefe simply sticks with Jermelle and the running game instead of going out and trying to prove that Banks deserved the Heisman instead of Palmer.

Let it go, pal. Norm lost that game, not O'Keefe.

Thanks for the update on Jermelle! I'll always remember him running all over Michigan in 2002!

Jermelle definitely deserved better than what he received while at Iowa. The injuries just totally derailed him. I can't imagine how much better the 2003 and 2004 teams would have been if he had never gotten hurt.

I always feel bad for any former Hawk that ends up having to go to Ottumwa for anything.

This is so true!!!
I was born in Ottumwa.
I grew up in Ottumwa.
I graduated from high school in Ottumwa, stayed until the end of that summer and came to Iowa City and the University of Iowa.

Jermelle Lewis had way too much talent for Ottumwa.

Can we just get over it and admit USC was just the better team?

This. That team was tremendous, and Palmer was one of the best QB's of the last 15 years.

Though I will say that MAYBE it would have been more competitive if C.J. had not taken the opening kick back for a score. That just seems like a bad omen. The Bears lost when Hester did it, OSU when Ginn did it. And it wasn't the opening kick, but PSU's first play from scrimmage this year against us was a 79-yard TD pass. Now, rather than voodoo, I have a more rational reason for such plays possibly having a correllation with losing: it's too big of an emotional explosion, too early. Rather than letting emotion out over the course of the game, a play as big as the previously mentioned on the opening kickoff (or first play from scrimmage) releases it all at once, leaving the team emotionally spent before the game is even 30 seconds old.

Run Jermelle Run!!

Tom Lathrop, the team owner, & also the kicker. :D

Bring back the triple-option-offense. Who's running this show, Tom Osborne? Actually, it would be very entertaining to watch.

Latest posts