Jeeesh, what a letdown

USC, Texas, and Cal all are playing 11 P5 teams this year.

Plus Stanford and Oregon often do too, just not this year.

So don't say nobody does it.
But keep something in mind....those teams are "name" enough that they can get a home and home, which allows them to still keep their 7 home games. There's no "name" team that's going to give us a home and home...best we could hope for would be a neutral site game (similar to Wisky/ND where they're playing one in Lambeau and the other at Soldier). Not sure the revenue split would be sufficient to cover the loss of a home game. Plus, and maybe this shouldn't matter, but I know it does.....the loss of a home game is a HUGE deal for Iowa City in terms of lost revenue.

I agree,

If you play a nationally ranked team and lose but at least keep it close it does t hurt you in the eyes of the football world as long as you bounce back and show improvement. It also shows you how much and where you need to improve and the players get a real quick reality check of where they are and how far they need to go.

It is true that this years conference schedule is pretty tough but that can't be said for the last three seasons. Two years ago in our undefeated season we only played one (Wisconsin) of the conferences top five programs (Ohio State. Michigan. Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State) during the regular season. Then we loss to MSU and got throttled by Stanford. Then Bama throttled MSU. On a national level this looked really bad for Iowa.

Also consider in that same year that Wisconsin had several injured players and if it weren't for a fluke Wisconsn fumble down on the goal line the odds of Iowa winning that game were dismal. They had shut our offense totally down the entire fourth quarter and some of the third quarter. No one was more happier to see their QB get tripped and stumble which lead to the bad handoff and a resulted fumble.

We are going to find out where this program really is by the end of this year. So far there is a glimmer of hope with the emergence of Stanley. We will soon know when we play Penn State where this program is. We should maul North Texas State but no one better over look them because their is absolutely no team Iowa can afford to over look.

As far as scheduling goes I always liked Hayden's approach. Schedule one you handle pretty easy. Schedule one that could go either way, and schedule one you probably shouldn't beat. I am not saying Hayden ALWAYS did that but it's a good philosophy.

Only Iowa fans would think that coming literally inches away from the College Football Playoff looked really bad because some moron in LA got a rise out of them.

I am going to let you guys in on a little secret. Iowa is never going to make the CFP with a loss. If the committee is looking at one loss Stanford, Iowa, Auburn, Clemson, and Oklahoma with an undefeated Alabama. Iowa gets left out every time. Maybe, just maybe, going up against a team like Washington last year would get the committee to at least look at the resume, but I doubt it.

The reality is that all of this posturing about national perspective is silly. In 2015, no matter what Cowherd said, Iowa would have been in if they beat MSU.

My wants? 3-0 in non-con, any way you shake it. 7 home game paychecks, and battle for the west title. If that happens, you never know how it might end up and we can just enjoy the ride.

Now if you are only arguing that you want a tougher team so that you can see a more competitive game, then you should love KF in September because he makes sure every game is competitive whether it should be or not.

But keep something in mind....those teams are "name" enough that they can get a home and home, which allows them to still keep their 7 home games. There's no "name" team that's going to give us a home and home...best we could hope for would be a neutral site game (similar to Wisky/ND where they're playing one in Lambeau and the other at Soldier). Not sure the revenue split would be sufficient to cover the loss of a home game. Plus, and maybe this shouldn't matter, but I know it does.....the loss of a home game is a HUGE deal for Iowa City in terms of lost revenue.

Solid post - and something that is hard to understand for Iowa fan. It's not as easy as saying "hey we wanna play USC, let's line that up".... USC aint going for that. The big dawgs don't want to come to Iowa City - or play Iowa all together even on a neutral field. Wisconsin can get them, they carry a lot of clout because of their recent success. MSU can get em, they carry a lot of clout with their recent success (though that's taking a hit) - Iowa takes the roll of ISU in any scenario against an elite team they would try and schedule. Playing Iowa to Bama is a LOSE LOSE situation for them. Beat em - well, it's Iowa you should have. Lose to them and it's the end of the world. Iowa plays Notre Dame - same deal. For those of you that want ISU gone, then you're likely to see them replaced by teams like CAL, ASU,MO, KS, ARIZONA, VIRGINIA, DUKE, VANDERBILT etc - lower end other P5 conference teams that need the game.... and in that scenario - they are STILL going to schedule 2 cupcakes because that's what 99% of college football does to. So, what does playing those teams do that help's Iowa's image THAT much more then our rivalry game with ISU?

Iowa doesn't need to be different in regards to how it schedules. A lot of people are prisoners to Collin Cowherd, which is basically falling for a troll

Great point! Awesome!!

Just curious, though- didn't Bama also play FSU? Who do the Hawks play non-con that compares to them?

Likewise, everybody else whining about "they can't play ISU AND another P5 team" should get real. We all know ISU is one of the worst P5 programs out there. They have been for a while and there's no reason to think they'll get better anytime soon.

And the same goes for the B1G West- a bunch of average to above average teams, with little chance to become great/elite due to recruiting limitations.

It's pretty silly to say they can't toughen up the schedule a little bit, given that setup every year! I'm not saying schedule a Bama / FSU / USC, but schedule a mid-level P5, preferably in a good recruiting area. It could help bring in recruits from, say, Texas if they scheduled home & away with Tex/A&M/Tech/TCU (I also don't buy "we need 7 home games every year"- most of the money comes from TV these days)

We have 3 non-con games available to play, not the 4 that Bama does.

And if I was Bama with the pick of every year's litter why would you fear playing anyone anytime?????? They should be taking on any and all takers.

I am going to let you guys in on a little secret. Iowa is never going to make the CFP with a loss. If the committee is looking at one loss Stanford, Iowa, Auburn, Clemson, and Oklahoma with an undefeated Alabama. Iowa gets left out every time. Maybe, just maybe, going up against a team like Washington last year would get the committee to at least look at the resume, but I doubt it.

The reality is that all of this posturing about national perspective is silly. In 2015, no matter what Cowherd said, Iowa would have been in if they beat MSU.

My wants? 3-0 in non-con, any way you shake it. 7 home game paychecks, and battle for the west title. If that happens, you never know how it might end up and we can just enjoy the ride.

Now if you are only arguing that you want a tougher team so that you can see a more competitive game, then you should love KF in September because he makes sure every game is competitive whether it should be or not.

Don't agree. We lose to Penn State on Sept 23 and win all way out through title game and Hawks are in playoff.

Great point! Awesome!!

Just curious, though- didn't Bama also play FSU? Who do the Hawks play non-con that compares to them?

Likewise, everybody else whining about "they can't play ISU AND another P5 team" should get real. We all know ISU is one of the worst P5 programs out there. They have been for a while and there's no reason to think they'll get better anytime soon.

And the same goes for the B1G West- a bunch of average to above average teams, with little chance to become great/elite due to recruiting limitations.

It's pretty silly to say they can't toughen up the schedule a little bit, given that setup every year! I'm not saying schedule a Bama / FSU / USC, but schedule a mid-level P5, preferably in a good recruiting area. It could help bring in recruits from, say, Texas if they scheduled home & away with Tex/A&M/Tech/TCU (I also don't buy "we need 7 home games every year"- most of the money comes from TV these days)

they can't... it'd be suicide for a program in Iowa's current state - I'm for real.

LMAO at last paragraph............... so true!!!!!

not against other 1 loss teams. Maybe if compared to 2 loss teams.

Oh yeah we would. You saying Oklahoma's Big 12 schedule would be tougher than Iowa's Big Ten? Again Iowa loses to Penn State early (Sept) and Oklahoma or Pac 12 team loses to (you pick). Again this includes whoever goes to title game in Indy. Iowa is in.

Oh yeah we would. You saying Oklahoma's Big 12 schedule would be tougher than Iowa's Big Ten? Again Iowa loses to Penn State early (Sept) and Oklahoma or Pac 12 team loses to (you pick). Again this includes whoever goes to title game in Indy. Iowa is in.

I am not saying that it would be tougher. I am saying that it wouldn't matter.

And if the toughness of Iowa's schedule is good enough to overcome 1 loss and the blueblood programs, then why is everyone arguing about non-con games?

Solid post - and something that is hard to understand for Iowa fan. It's not as easy as saying "hey we wanna play USC, let's line that up".... USC aint going for that. The big dawgs don't want to come to Iowa City - or play Iowa all together even on a neutral field. Wisconsin can get them, they carry a lot of clout because of their recent success. MSU can get em, they carry a lot of clout with their recent success (though that's taking a hit) - Iowa takes the roll of ISU in any scenario against an elite team they would try and schedule. Playing Iowa to Bama is a LOSE LOSE situation for them. Beat em - well, it's Iowa you should have. Lose to them and it's the end of the world. Iowa plays Notre Dame - same deal. For those of you that want ISU gone, then you're likely to see them replaced by teams like CAL, ASU,MO, KS, ARIZONA, VIRGINIA, DUKE, VANDERBILT etc - lower end other P5 conference teams that need the game.... and in that scenario - they are STILL going to schedule 2 cupcakes because that's what 99% of college football does to. So, what does playing those teams do that help's Iowa's image THAT much more then our rivalry game with ISU?

Iowa doesn't need to be different in regards to how it schedules. A lot of people are prisoners to Collin Cowherd, which is basically falling for a troll

100% on the $$$.

Let's schedule Colorado State or Colorado. That is surely more prestigious than playing Iowa State. Who ya bringing in? Georgia, FSU, Auburn ??? We have to have the big boys to get the prestige. I mean we just played Florida and got plastered, but maybe playing such a game in September would have been different??????

100% on the $$$.

Let's schedule Colorado State or Colorado. That is surely more prestigious than playing Iowa State. Who ya bringing in? Georgia, FSU, Auburn ??? We have to have the big boys to get the prestige. I mean we just played Florida and got plastered, but maybe playing such a game in September would have been different??????

Florida was a bowl game... so we didn't line that up... Colorado State is NOT more prestigious then ISU ... any way you slice it. With the outlier of last season, Colorado has been one of the worst programs in the P5 for over the last decade. Georgia, FSU and Auburn don't want to play Iowa... what prestige does Iowa bring to them? They don't even want to play us when they get matched up in bowl.... wanna know why? Cause it's a no win situation in the public eye.

You are likely correct. MSU got in with a loss two years ago. Iowa is in MSU's tier of teams. You just have have some great wins. Iowa may not be Michigan, but they're also not Oregon State.

Iowa fans are just as good at undervaluing their team, as they are at overvaluing them. This thread is proof.

You are likely correct. MSU got in with a loss two years ago. Iowa is in MSU's tier of teams. You just have have some great wins. Iowa may not be Michigan, but they're also not Oregon State.

Iowa fans are just as good at undervaluing their team, as they are at overvaluing them. This thread is proof.
MSU got in with one loss over two other one loss teams that they beat (Iowa and OSU). Obviously head to head changes things, but if Stanford or ND were the other one loss teams that year, you can't convince me that the committee would have left them out.

MSU got in with one loss over two other one loss teams that they beat (Iowa and OSU). Obviously head to head changes things, but if Stanford or ND were the other one loss teams that year, you can't convince me that the committee would have left them out.
You're not the one Iowa/MSU needs to convince. That's besides the point. The point is that a one loss Iowa team COULD get in. Somebody said Iowa had to go 13-0. That's not true, assuming they have a schedule like the one they have this year.

Last edited:

Latest posts