Jeeesh, what a letdown

Just curious.... how many posters here realize that it took an act of the Iowa Legislature and a "backroom deal" between the athletic directors to resume playing the Iowa vs Iowa State football rivalry game? The first time of the renewal was in 1977, and it took an independent arbitrator to get Iowa and ISU to honor the contract. The last game before that was 1935. We can talk here until the corn is picked, but Iowa is going to play Iowa State every year... at least until 2021.

But there is no law that Iowa has to play teams like North Texas every year, and there is no law that Iowa and Iowa State have to play 7 home games every year.

I Believe I represent a lot of Iowa fans that don't want to get Iowa State off the schedule. I want to get teams like North Texas off the schedule.

But there is no law that Iowa has to play teams like North Texas every year, and there is no law that Iowa and Iowa State have to play 7 home games every year.

I Believe I represent a lot of Iowa fans that don't want to get Iowa State off the schedule. I want to get teams like North Texas off the schedule.

As soon as everyone else stops scheduling this way, Iowa should to

Just curious.... how many posters here realize that it took an act of the Iowa Legislature and a "backroom deal" between the athletic directors to resume playing the Iowa vs Iowa State football rivalry game? The first time of the renewal was in 1977, and it took an independent arbitrator to get Iowa and ISU to honor the contract. The last game before that was 1935. We can talk here until the corn is picked, but Iowa is going to play Iowa State every year... at least until 3021.
FIFY

Michigan St also played Bowling Green (#120) and FCS Western Michigan.

Yes, Michigan played Cincinnati (#101).

Indiana also plays FCS Georgia Southern.

Penn St also plays Georgia State (as was stated earlier here)(#125). They also played Akron (#113).

Ohio St also plays UNLV (#111).

Northwestern also played Nevada (#105) and will play Bowling Green (#120).

Maryland also played FCS Towson.

But Iowa is the only team in the Big 10 that schedules pushovers according to you.
No, I said Iowa is one of four teams in the Big Ten who scheduled all pushovers this year, and Iowa does it every year

No, I said Iowa is one of four teams in the Big Ten who scheduled all pushovers this year, and Iowa does it every year
C'mon man....I know you want to see the schedule improved, but you can't post dishonest hyperbole like this. Go back to 2003 onward:

2003 - Miami (OH) who had Big Ben and was Top 10 that year; Arizona State
2004 - Arizona State
2006 - Syracuse
2007 - Syracuse
2008 - Pitt
2009 - Arizona
2010 - Arizona
2011 - Pitt
2013 - Northern Illinois who went to the Orange Bowl
2014 - Pitt
2015 - Pitt
2016 - Nobody
2017 - Nobody

Until the 9 game B1G schedule came out, we played another P5 school other than ISU 10 out of 13 years. The last 2 years have been garbage, but we are still playing another P5 team (a 9th B1G team). Most SEC teams are playing 8 conference games, 1 game against a P5 and then 3 garbage teams.

By this criteria, there is literally not one FBS college football team with a schedule that satisfies you.

My problem with Iowa State has always been the same, it's a lose/lose game. Beat them it gives us no national recognition, lose to them ESPN leads with it. They tank after losing to us and we usually lose a player or two for the season. By playing State we can't really schedule a name team the way Wisconson does as they have no rivalry game to worry about. Hopefully State actually wins some games this year to make it worthwhile to play them. If Wyoming had brought last year's team to Kinnick we could be 1 and 1 right now.

Just my two cents, but truthfully I'd rather play bigger named programs in the OOC sprinkling in a top 25 game every now and then. It's simply my preference as a fan of the game. I realize that cupcakes are found on everyone's schedule so to me its a non factor. I don't care what the talking heads think but rather putting games on the schedule thatWe're never going to get playoff votes by simply being Iowa. Our only chance to get in is by winning the BIG. IMO the OOC should be used to get battle tested for conference play and I don't see our schedule year in and year out doing that. As a fan I'd rather play a difficult OOC schedule and gain the experience needed for conference play than to drop that first conference game because we weren't accustomed to playing teams with size and speed.
C'mon man....I know you want to see the schedule improved, but you can't post dishonest hyperbole like this. Go back to 2003 onward:

2003 - Miami (OH) who had Big Ben and was Top 10 that year; Arizona State
2004 - Arizona State
2006 - Syracuse
2007 - Syracuse
2008 - Pitt
2009 - Arizona
2010 - Arizona
2011 - Pitt
2013 - Northern Illinois who went to the Orange Bowl
2014 - Pitt
2015 - Pitt
2016 - Nobody
2017 - Nobody

Until the 9 game B1G schedule came out, we played another P5 school other than ISU 10 out of 13 years. The last 2 years have been garbage, but we are still playing another P5 team (a 9th B1G team). Most SEC teams are playing 8 conference games, 1 game against a P5 and then 3 garbage teams.
I guess I was referencing the trend that in the last 2 years and for the foreseeable schedule we play nobody, and there's obviously no sign of that changing.

So here's what I'm getting at:

2016 - Miami (OH), ISU, NDSU
2017 - Wyoming, ISU, North Texas
2018 - Northern Illinois (I'll concede that they do play some good teams OOC, but they're .500 in the last 2 years), ISU, UNI
2019 - Miami (OH), ISU, Middle Tennessee
2020 - Northern Illinois, ISU, TBA

You can't deny that there's a patter there of playing all nobody teams.

Contrary to what most of you think I'm not asking to play three wicked tough games every year OOC. What I do wish Iowa would do is at least try to play ONE top 25 or bigger market team most years. The Hawks do tend to lose a non-con most years. That no one can argue about. If that's the case I'd rather drop one to a Louisville or Washington, or whoever. At least it'd be interesting and it'd be a decent game that's not a "lose-lose" situation.

ISU would have to come off, or then we'd be arguing that Iowa has a tougher schedule then any other power 5. I don't get what's hard to understand. If ISU is gone, then I say go get the toughest non con you can find. No P5 schools are playing 11 P5 teams a year.

By this criteria, there is literally not one FBS college football team with a schedule that satisfies you.

Just to clarify becuasue i am not sure I made this clear. I am arguing that Iowa should play Iowa State plus another P5 school or Notre Dame OOC every year. This would require giving up 1 home game every 2 years. Playing 7 home games one year, and 6 home games in the alternating years

If you are arguing that no other P5 teams play 9 conference games plus 2 P5 schools in non-conferencce, I found 2 examples this year in like 2 seconds

USC, which plays Texas and Notre Dame plus 9 conference games this year.

Texas, which plays MD and USC, plus 9 conference games this year.

I am sure I could find more if I really needed to. Number #1 rule when you get this question. Always start with USC and check who they are playing. Also check Stanford and Oregon, who often play 2 P5 teams, although this year they do not.

But for what it is worth, Oregon and Stanford both only play 6 home games this year.

EDIT: found some more

Cal plays UNC and Ole Miss plus 9 conference games.

Last edited:
ISU would have to come off, or then we'd be arguing that Iowa has a tougher schedule then any other power 5. I don't get what's hard to understand. If ISU is gone, then I say go get the toughest non con you can find. No P5 schools are playing 11 P5 teams a year.
That would be the perfect scenario.

I should have clarified earlier that I don't think any of this will ever happen. It's just what I think should happen.

ISU dropped and replaced with a decent P5 team would be golden.

Wisconsin's non-con this year is Utah State, Florida Atlantic and BYU.

What schools in the B1G are playing two Power 5s in the non-conference?

I will add here that I live only six miles from Lavar Edwards stadium here in Provo, Utah and at this point it appears that this could be one of BYU's weakest offenses in decades. The defense is not bad considering they are on the field 90% of the time.

USC, Texas, and Cal all are playing 11 P5 teams this year.

Plus Stanford and Oregon often do too, just not this year.

So don't say nobody does it.

That would be the perfect scenario.

I should have clarified earlier that I don't think any of this will ever happen. It's just what I think should happen.

ISU dropped and replaced with a decent P5 team would be golden.

Completely agree...I will say this... Iowa's cupcakes are tougher then a lot of cupcakes that are being played around CFB, so... my point remains that Iowa stacks up against their peers for the most part. It would be great if ISU would just win for a change - or if they don't or can't - Iowa removes them all together.

You can keep your defeatist shit, I don't want it.

A "pantsing by Tide" would be a whole lot better than getting beat by Northern Illinois or North Dakota State.

Look I understand what your point is, but Iowa gets called out nationally about their OOC schedule for a reason; if you think I'm the only one who sees how soft it is compared to most decent teams you're nuts. Twist it 30 different ways and it'll still be the same. If you're ok with playing two cupcakes and an absolute joke of a Big 12 team (that's 37-73 in the last ten years) then knock yourself out. I'm not going to change my mind on that one.

I agree,

If you play a nationally ranked team and lose but at least keep it close it does t hurt you in the eyes of the football world as long as you bounce back and show improvement. It also shows you how much and where you need to improve and the players get a real quick reality check of where they are and how far they need to go.

It is true that this years conference schedule is pretty tough but that can't be said for the last three seasons. Two years ago in our undefeated season we only played one (Wisconsin) of the conferences top five programs (Ohio State. Michigan. Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State) during the regular season. Then we loss to MSU and got throttled by Stanford. Then Bama throttled MSU. On a national level this looked really bad for Iowa.

Also consider in that same year that Wisconsin had several injured players and if it weren't for a fluke Wisconsn fumble down on the goal line the odds of Iowa winning that game were dismal. They had shut our offense totally down the entire fourth quarter and some of the third quarter. No one was more happier to see their QB get tripped and stumble which lead to the bad handoff and a resulted fumble.

We are going to find out where this program really is by the end of this year. So far there is a glimmer of hope with the emergence of Stanley. We will soon know when we play Penn State where this program is. We should maul North Texas State but no one better over look them because their is absolutely no team Iowa can afford to over look.

As far as scheduling goes I always liked Hayden's approach. Schedule one you handle pretty easy. Schedule one that could go either way, and schedule one you probably shouldn't beat. I am not saying Hayden ALWAYS did that but it's a good philosophy.

'Bama plays Fresno State, Colorado State and Mercer this year. Those games get anyone fired up?!??!?!? So what if Iowa scheduled those 3 teams??? Any of those three better than watching Iowa / ISU ??? I'd say hell no.

'Bama plays Fresno State, Colorado State and Mercer this year. Those games get anyone fired up?!??!?!? So what if Iowa scheduled those 3 teams??? Any of those three better than watching Iowa / ISU ??? I'd say hell no.

Great point! Awesome!!

Just curious, though- didn't Bama also play FSU? Who do the Hawks play non-con that compares to them?

Likewise, everybody else whining about "they can't play ISU AND another P5 team" should get real. We all know ISU is one of the worst P5 programs out there. They have been for a while and there's no reason to think they'll get better anytime soon.

And the same goes for the B1G West- a bunch of average to above average teams, with little chance to become great/elite due to recruiting limitations.

It's pretty silly to say they can't toughen up the schedule a little bit, given that setup every year! I'm not saying schedule a Bama / FSU / USC, but schedule a mid-level P5, preferably in a good recruiting area. It could help bring in recruits from, say, Texas if they scheduled home & away with Tex/A&M/Tech/TCU (I also don't buy "we need 7 home games every year"- most of the money comes from TV these days)

Latest posts