Jeeesh, what a letdown

Would it help your enthusiasm if I told you that North Texas has averaged 45 points a game in its first 2 games.

Could be a good test for the Iowa defense.

Wisconsin's non-con this year is Utah State, Florida Atlantic and BYU.

What schools in the B1G are playing two Power 5s in the non-conference?

Wisconsin plays BYU. They're not a P5 force but they're perennially better than ISU and haven't missed a bowl game since '04. They finished ranked in AP and Coaches polls in '06, '07, '08, '09, and '11. That's a while ago, but if you argue that we play anyone better in our non-cons you're nuts.

Purdue played Louisville.

Michigan State plays Notre Dame

Michigan played Florida and Cincinnati

Indiana plays Virginia. They suck, but they're better than the clowns.

Penn State played Pitt

Ohio State played Oklahoma.

Nebraska played Oregon

NW plays Duke. Again, a suck team but better than the clowns and is at least an FBS team.

Maryland played Texas.

So that leaves Iowa, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Illinois who play strictly garbage teams. Give me all the excuses you want about how our NC opponents aren't pushovers, how they're "really good," or, "but NDSU won the Country Bumpkin Classic in 2015 and their QB's good!!!" and whatever else, but we are a Big Ten school with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, facilities, and staff salaries. There should be no competition there.

If on the other hand you're cool with being lumped in with Minnesota, Rutgers, and Illinois...well...I can't help you with that. I know you don't care about anything outside the conference schedule, but I and a lot of other peopel do. We probably won't agree on that.

Until Iowa books some decent games we are going to be (rightly so) viewed as having a My Little Pony preseason schedule. If Purdue of all schools can play Louisville then there's no reason in the world why we need to play 3 shit teams every year. We lose one more often than not, so why not make it against a school with a pulse?

I would bet you anything that Virginia is not better than ISU this year.

Nope, ISU has the same setup as Iowa. The years that ISU hosts Iowa, ISU has 4 home conference games and 5 conference road games. And vice versa when ISU plays at Iowa.
You're right....I guess I assumed wrong. Good God that's stupid.

Wisconsin plays BYU. They're not a P5 force but they're perennially better than ISU and haven't missed a bowl game since '04. They finished ranked in AP and Coaches polls in '06, '07, '08, '09, and '11. That's a while ago, but if you argue that we play anyone better in our non-cons you're nuts.

Penn State played Pitt

Nebraska played Oregon

NW plays Duke. Again, a suck team but better than the clowns and is at least an FBS team.

Maryland played Texas.

So that leaves Iowa, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Illinois who play strictly garbage teams. Give me all the excuses you want about how our NC opponents aren't pushovers, how they're "really good," or, "but NDSU won the Country Bumpkin Classic in 2015 and their QB's good!!!" and whatever else, but we are a Big Ten school with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, facilities, and staff salaries. There should be no competition there.

If on the other hand you're cool with being lumped in with Minnesota, Rutgers, and Illinois...well...I can't help you with that. I know you don't care about anything outside the conference schedule, but I and a lot of other peopel do. We probably won't agree on that.

Until Iowa books some decent games we are going to be (rightly so) viewed as having a My Little Pony preseason schedule. If Purdue of all schools can play Louisville then there's no reason in the world why we need to play 3 shit teams every year. We lose one more often than not, so why not make it against a school with a pulse?

Notre Dame sucked last year, still do. Texas sucked last year, still do. Oregon sucked last year, juries still out. I get it ...those are names and I get what your saying. They've got star appeal and sex appeal from an outsiders prospective. If you are a casual football fan like most and most AP voters, you see the names and that's all that matters. Duke won 4 games last year...and last I checked - IOWA STATE is an FBS team too right? So is Wyoming and so is N Texas. Virginia is better then the Clowns? You so sure about that? I'm not

Minnesota, Rutgers and Illinois are all B1G schools, we're always going to get lumped in with them. Why? Cause we're a B1G school too.

Let's take a look at the REST of your schedules you are touting.

Maryland played something called Towson last week.

Purdue - props to them - they scheduled tough. Fact is... they need to. Iowa doesn't have to. Iowa goes undefeated in the OOC - and some how manages to go through their conference schedule unscathed as well, who cares? No one. It's not gonna keep them out of the playoffs.

Indiana has Virginia, FIU and GA Southern. Just stop with saying that's a better Non con then Iowa's.

Penn State... played Akron, Georgia State and Pitt. Ok, Pitt's better than ISU. But Iowa played ISU on the road and Iowa's other 2 games are wayyyyy tougher then Akron and Georgia State.

Northwestern has Nevada, Duke and Bowling Green.

Seriously ... Iowa's schedule isn't the Apples and Oranges comparison you are trying to make it out to be to their peers. It just isn't.

Penn State played Pitt

Nebraska played Oregon

Maryland played Texas.

My main issue with your assertion is that you seem to think that we would beat any top 25 team in week 2 or 3. What in your experience leads you to believe that Iowa is a fast starting team? We are usually barely to game form by opening week of conference play. I don't care if the national "media" doesn't respect our non con. If we run the table then we are way better off than getting blown out by Oklahoma or Oregon in week 2.

I'm pretty much ambivalent about non-con scheduling at this point. Would I like to see us play a "name" team every 3-4 years? Sure. It would be kinda nice to test ourselves against that level of competition outside of the typical conference teams. But I guess I don't lose sleep over it....especially on a year like this. We are playing at Wisconsin, at Nebraska, at Northwestern, at Michigan State, home to Ohio State and home to Penn State. I doubt there are many teams around the country that have as difficult of an SOS as we do this year.

In years that we draw a couple of middle of the road east teams (Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana), I'd be good with scheduling a tougher OOC opponent....but I'm good with the teams we have for this year, given the difficulty of the conference schedule....

Take a look at MOST of the SEC's OOC... then with a straight face, tell me about how much better it is then Iowa's. I get it... it doesn't have the sexy match-up - ISU is our dance partner for that now that the B1G has moved to 9 games. If that's how it's gonna be and they aren't coming off the schedule, it puts Iowa in a position where they can't schedule the big name.

Notre Dame sucked last year, still do. Texas sucked last year, still do. Oregon sucked last year, juries still out. I get it ...those are names and I get what your saying. They've got star appeal and sex appeal from an outsiders prospective. If you are a casual football fan like most and most AP voters, you see the names and that's all that matters. Duke won 4 games last year...and last I checked - IOWA STATE is an FBS team too right? So is Wyoming and so is N Texas. Virginia is better then the Clowns? You so sure about that? I'm not

Minnesota, Rutgers and Illinois are all B1G schools, we're always going to get lumped in with them. Why? Cause we're a B1G school too.

Let's take a look at the REST of your schedules you are touting.

Maryland played something called Towson last week.

Purdue - props to them - they scheduled tough. Fact is... they need to. Iowa doesn't have to. Iowa goes undefeated in the OOC - and some how manages to go through their conference schedule unscathed as well, who cares? No one. It's not gonna keep them out of the playoffs.

Indiana has Virginia, FIU and GA Southern. Just stop with saying that's a better Non con then Iowa's.

Penn State... played Akron, Georgia State and Pitt. Ok, Pitt's better than ISU. But Iowa played ISU on the road and Iowa's other 2 games are wayyyyy tougher then Akron and Georgia State.

Northwestern has Nevada, Duke and Bowling Green.

Seriously ... Iowa's schedule isn't the Apples and Oranges comparison you are trying to make it out to be to their peers. It just isn't.

P.S. we played Pitt a few years ago. I seem to remember that was the very same year that Colin Cowturd ridiculed us all season for playing "nobody". I wonder if he will do the same for PSU this year. My guess is no. All things are not equal.

P.S. we played Pitt a few years ago. I seem to remember that was the very same year that Colin Cowturd ridiculed us all season for playing "nobody".

In years past - Iowa was one of the only schools in the country that was ROUTINELY playing 2 Power 5 schools in the OOC. Iowa would always have ISU and then they'd go out and get Pitt, or Arizona or ... you name it. Iowa's schedule isn't something I am gonna complain or worry about this year, what we lack in OOC is made up for in conference.

In years past - Iowa was one of the only schools in the country that was ROUTINELY playing 2 Power 5 schools in the OOC. Iowa would always have ISU and then they'd go out and get Pitt, or Arizona or ... you name it. Iowa's schedule isn't something I am gonna complain or worry about this year, what we lack in OOC is made up for in conference.

Exactly my point.

If you are complaining about this then you are truely dumb. This is a great idea. This week we SHOULD be able to get key rest for players, get youth some playing time and try some things out right before the big ten (Important games) start.

Why would you want to schedule a really tough game right after heated rivalry and right before you play the defending big ten champs?

If you are complaining about this then you are truely dumb. This is a great idea. This week we SHOULD be able to get key rest for players, get youth some playing time and try some things out right before the big ten (Important games) start.

Why would you want to schedule a really tough game right after heated rivalry and right before you play the defending big ten champs?

CAUSE Collin Cowturd called us a Fake ID once. :) And even though I have really warmed to FRYIOWA over the past few months, he still likes to back hand compliment the program a lot more then he realizes... so I call him out on it. I hope he knows it's in good spirited fun as he has a lot of takes I enjoy

We need the North Texas game right now to work the bugs out. Iowa will be hard pressed to win the majority of its conference games.

I just wish ISU was worth a crap... I mean since for the forseable future we are playing them and all it may as well mean something besides just bragging rights. If they were even just a middle of the pack Big 12 team it'd lend some credibility to our schedule. But for far too long playing them has been nothing more than a bad win and an even worse loss for us....

I say for 2017 schedule wins in non-con. I dont' care what others think. Seriously, If you're worried what people are saying on TV and social media about Iowa's schedule, go to therapy. The fact is that most people don't give a flip what Iowa is doing or not doing.

Iowa has ample opportunity in 2017 to prove themselves during conference play.

like it or not, Iowa is not competing for a national championship this year or any year in sight.

I say for 2017 schedule wins in non-con. I dont' care what others think. Seriously, If you're worried what people are saying on TV and social media about Iowa's schedule, go to therapy. The fact is that most people don't give a flip what Iowa is doing or not doing.

Iowa has ample opportunity in 2017 to prove themselves during conference play.

like it or not, Iowa is not competing for a national championship this year or any year in sight.

you could have said the same thing 2 years ago when they competed for one until the very last week of the regular season. Not saying that it's gonna happen this year, it's not, but it certainly won't be because of the schedule.

you could have said the same thing 2 years ago when they competed for one until the very last week of the regular season. Not saying that it's gonna happen this year, it's not, but it certainly won't be because of the schedule.

Yep, Iowa goes undefeated 13-0, they're probably in the playoff.

In 2015 Iowa competed for an NC only on paper. They really had no shot against Alabama or Clemson. Let's be real about it.

Latest posts