Jeeesh, what a letdown

Yep, Iowa goes undefeated 13-0, they're probably in the playoff.

In 2015 Iowa competed for an NC only on paper. They really had no shot against Alabama or Clemson. Let's be real about it.

agree 1000 % - but they made it to the last weekend to get a shot which is all you can ask for. We would have got mopped....

Yep, Iowa goes undefeated 13-0, they're probably in the playoff.

In 2015 Iowa competed for an NC only on paper. They really had no shot against Alabama or Clemson. Let's be real about it.

We don't stand any better chance of beating them in week 2

Wisconsin plays BYU. They're not a P5 force but they're perennially better than ISU and haven't missed a bowl game since '04. They finished ranked in AP and Coaches polls in '06, '07, '08, '09, and '11. That's a while ago, but if you argue that we play anyone better in our non-cons you're nuts.
You mean that BYU team that was only 3 points better than Wyoming on a neutral field last year? How about Boise State? Yup, Wyoming beat them.

Your vision of reality in college football and actual reality don't line up. Facts are hard things, but the reality is that scheduling isn't Iowa's problem. ISU usually falling off a cliff after the Iowa game is.

The question is not what everybody else is doing, it is what would you like Iowa to do. Do you want Iowa to be a leader or a follower?

Fact is if any team wants to set the example in the Big Ten of playing 2 P5 in the non-conference, it will probably should be Iowa that does it first. Locked into playing ISU every year, it is up to Iowa to step up and declare, we will be that team that starts playing 2 P5 teams every year.

The question is not what everybody else is doing, it is what would you like Iowa to do. Do you want Iowa to be a leader or a follower?

Fact is if any team wants to set the example in the Big Ten of playing 2 P5 in the non-conference, it will probably should be Iowa that does it first. Locked into playing ISU every year, it is up to Iowa to step up and declare, we will be that team that starts playing 2 P5 teams every year.

what? Why is this Iowa's job?

Starts? Pittsburgh. Syracuse. ASU. Arizona. KState. Nebraska. Tried with Missouri, but they got scared.

Iowa did it. Nobody followed. Now with only 3 non-con games it would be flat out stupid to do it.

Starts? Pittsburgh. Syracuse. ASU. Arizona. KState. Nebraska. Tried with Missouri, but they got scared.

Iowa did it. Nobody followed. Now with only 3 non-con games it would be flat out stupid to do it.

you aint lieing... hardly NO ONE was doing it when Iowa was doing it, now they cut a game out of our control and it's Iowa's fault for NOT carrying to banner? People are tough to please.

There's a huge list of schools don't don't play all three non-cons against North Texas caliber schools like we do.

yeah let's play Alabama there because that will go way better than the game in Ames and I am sure a 60 to 3 pantsing by Tide will look better than an OT win in Ames.

yeah let's play Alabama there because that will go way better than the game in Ames and I am sure a 60 to 3 pantsing by Tide will look better than an OT win in Ames.
You can keep your defeatist shit, I don't want it.

A "pantsing by Tide" would be a whole lot better than getting beat by Northern Illinois or North Dakota State.

Look I understand what your point is, but Iowa gets called out nationally about their OOC schedule for a reason; if you think I'm the only one who sees how soft it is compared to most decent teams you're nuts. Twist it 30 different ways and it'll still be the same. If you're ok with playing two cupcakes and an absolute joke of a Big 12 team (that's 37-73 in the last ten years) then knock yourself out. I'm not going to change my mind on that one.

You can keep your defeatist shit, I don't want it.

A "pantsing by Tide" would be a whole lot better than getting beat by Northern Illinois or North Dakota State.

Look I understand what your point is, but Iowa gets called out nationally about their OOC schedule for a reason; if you think I'm the only one who sees how soft it is compared to most decent teams you're nuts. Twist it 30 different ways and it'll still be the same. If you're ok with playing two cupcakes and an absolute joke of a Big 12 team (that's 37-73 in the last ten years) then knock yourself out. I'm not going to change my mind on that one.

as long as you're good with being wrong then. We all would like a tougher OOC partner the ISU, and maybe we get it, but I don't think you're gonna see Bama and Iowa agree to a series any time soon and besides a very small handful of teams that manage to get a marquee match up each year, no one else is upgrading their schedule beyond what Iowa is doing. Again, playing 2 bowl qualifiers and a Power 5 is better then playing Virginia, Towson and Roast Beef State. And did you just see the new conference schedules that dropped? IMO the OOC's gonna weaker - no incentive when you have a conference schedule like Iowa has in 2020.

Sept. 5: vs Northern Illinois

Sept. 12: vs Iowa State
Sept. 19: at Minnesota
Oct. 3: vs Michigan State
Oct. 10: at Ohio State
Oct. 17: at Penn State
Oct. 24: vs Northwestern
Nov. 7: at Illinois
Nov. 14: vs Nebraska
Nov. 21: at Purdue
Nov. 28: vs Wisconsin

Iowa DOES not need to add another Power 5 team to this.... it's not a defeatist attitude, it's smart.

Just my two cents, but truthfully I'd rather play bigger named programs in the OOC sprinkling in a top 25 game every now and then. It's simply my preference as a fan of the game. I realize that cupcakes are found on everyone's schedule so to me its a non factor. I don't care what the talking heads think but rather putting games on the schedule that will have us ready for conference play. I simply don't feel that scheduling North Texas does us any favors as the last tune up before we play PSU to open up conference play.

We're never going to get playoff votes by simply being Iowa. Our only chance to get in is by winning the BIG. IMO the OOC should be used to get battle tested for conference play and I don't see our schedule year in and year out doing that. As a fan I'd rather play a difficult OOC schedule and gain the experience needed for conference play than to drop that first conference game because we weren't accustomed to playing teams with size and speed.

And yet Iowa is supposedly playing cupcakes. North Texas is ranked #98 out of the 130 FBS schools. Georgia State is ranked #125.

Here's the list: http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

I don't care who our opponents are playing and technically I don't think we should. All I care about is that we come out ready to play PSU in two weeks. All I'm concerned with is how we ready ourselves for conference play. I think you gain more against good competition than you do against the bottom third.

Wisconsin plays BYU. They're not a P5 force but they're perennially better than ISU and haven't missed a bowl game since '04. They finished ranked in AP and Coaches polls in '06, '07, '08, '09, and '11. That's a while ago, but if you argue that we play anyone better in our non-cons you're nuts.

Purdue played Louisville.

Michigan State plays Notre Dame

Michigan played Florida and Cincinnati

Indiana plays Virginia. They suck, but they're better than the clowns.

Penn State played Pitt

Ohio State played Oklahoma.

Nebraska played Oregon

NW plays Duke. Again, a suck team but better than the clowns and is at least an FBS team.

Maryland played Texas.

So that leaves Iowa, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Illinois who play strictly garbage teams. Give me all the excuses you want about how our NC opponents aren't pushovers, how they're "really good," or, "but NDSU won the Country Bumpkin Classic in 2015 and their QB's good!!!" and whatever else, but we are a Big Ten school with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, facilities, and staff salaries. There should be no competition there.

If on the other hand you're cool with being lumped in with Minnesota, Rutgers, and Illinois...well...I can't help you with that. I know you don't care about anything outside the conference schedule, but I and a lot of other peopel do. We probably won't agree on that.

Until Iowa books some decent games we are going to be (rightly so) viewed as having a My Little Pony preseason schedule. If Purdue of all schools can play Louisville then there's no reason in the world why we need to play 3 shit teams every year. We lose one more often than not, so why not make it against a school with a pulse?

Michigan St also played Bowling Green (#120) and FCS Western Michigan.

Yes, Michigan played Cincinnati (#101).

Indiana also plays FCS Georgia Southern.

Penn St also plays Georgia State (as was stated earlier here)(#125). They also played Akron (#113).

Ohio St also plays UNLV (#111).

Northwestern also played Nevada (#105) and will play Bowling Green (#120).

Maryland also played FCS Towson.

But Iowa is the only team in the Big 10 that schedules pushovers according to you.

National pundits don't need facts to spout off crazy rants. It's on you if you still believe it.

Latest posts