Jarryd Cole's got your back

How old are some of you? My god, the kid made one of the best plays in the Big Ten season and he deserves to be a little fired up about it. It isn't the 1950's and short shorts are out of style, sorry.

I'm 20 years old, and I can recognize the difference between getting fired up about making a GREAT play like that, and taunting the opponent about it. He could just as easily have run down the court, getting the crowd fired up, smack the floor, etc. But no, he had taunt. And he was still running his mouth after Cole rejected him.

I'm 20 years old, and I can recognize the difference between getting fired up about making a GREAT play like that, and taunting the opponent about it. He could just as easily have run down the court, getting the crowd fired up, smack the floor, etc. But no, he had taunt. And he was still running his mouth after Cole rejected him.

It is what it is. How many kids do you think will just run down the court and forget that it happened? Not very many. That is how basketball is played now whether you like it or not.

Spank, spot on. The dunk was incredible, lessened a bit by his own reaction. Sheehey won the battle, IOWA won the war. Cole's "foul" will be one of the top plays of the year for the Hawkeye basketball team. That has been missing from Iowa basketball for a while. Cole sent a strong message to IU and his teammates on that one. While Sheehey celebrated his dunk, we won the game. Go Hawks!

I don't recall seeing May run down the court after either one of his two soaring dunks shaking his head with his mouth agape.

I don't recall seeing May run down the court after either one of his two soaring dunks shaking his head with his mouth agape.

I don't recall seeing Eric May do anything remotely close to what that kid did. Again that will probably end up being the dunk of the year in the B10, and he didn't do anything to show anyone up, he didn't put on a fake scowl. He was honestly pumped up. Even after the cole foul he wasn't showing up Iowa, he was celebrating with his teamates, shaking his head as if to say "you can't stop me". Good for him, it was a great sequence, and he was fired up.

+1,000. Some of you need to recognize man management of a contest from the standpoint of an official. Did you not notice how the game suddenly turned chippy after that? As I said previously, if not a T (marginal, I agree), at least some strong words from an official.

It is what it is. How many kids do you think will just run down the court and forget that it happened? Not very many. That is how basketball is played now whether you like it or not.

Where in my post did I say they had to forget that it happened? The only way to celebrate anymore is to taunt your opponent? He's playing at home. Fire up the crowd, scream on your way back down the floor, smack the floor to get the defense fired up. Those sorts of things don't fall under the category of taunting.

You don't see May ever do more than pump his fist or yell as he's getting back on defense. He's never rubbing in the face of the guy he just beat.

May didn't dunk straight on a guy. Sheehey's was a poster dunk over Iowa's best player.

And if he did that crap with Bob Knight on the sideline, his a** would have been parked on the bench. You can celebrate with a little class. That's not asking a whole helluva lot.

I don't recall seeing Eric May do anything remotely close to what that kid did. Again that will probably end up being the dunk of the year in the B10, and he didn't do anything to show anyone up, he didn't put on a fake scowl. He was honestly pumped up. Even after the cole foul he wasn't showing up Iowa, he was celebrating with his teamates, shaking his head as if to say "you can't stop me". Good for him, it was a great sequence, and he was fired up.

If memory serves me they were each awarded 2 points.

Now tell me how THAT wouldn't be taunting? That's not just celebrating with teammates, that's rubbing it in to your opponent. Of course, he was completely shut down after that, so I'd say that we CAN stop him. If you're a freshman in the Big Ten, you keep your mouth shut.

And if he did that crap with Bob Knight on the sideline, his a** would have been parked on the bench. You can celebrate with a little class. That's not asking a whole helluva lot.

Agreed. Now if he had strong-armed the ball straight into the face of Iowa's toughest player as he guarded the inbounds pass, Knight would have roundly applauded him ...

Sure, but Bob Knight is a senile old blow hard with a distorted view of all things life.

Sheehey posterized our best player with the best dunk I've seen in college hoops this year. No problem with him jawing afterward. Did it tick me off because I was an Iowa fan? Sure. But that's because I'm an Iowa fan, not because of the action itself. You all need to wake up if you think jawing back and forth isn't a part of college basketball. Basabe was giving it right back to him as he continually schooled him after that dunk and I loved it.

All that said and back to the point of the thread, loved Cole coming right back with the block/foul. Needed to be done and was a huge boost for us. Love him taking on the role of the enforcer.

Latest posts