Jarryd Cole's got your back

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
I know he was called for the foul, but how important was that block by Cole on Sheehey?

Sheehey was still jawing after he was stuffed and Cole stared him down. It looked like it settled the team down. Cole took it upon himself to put Sheehey back in his place. The freshman wasn't the same after... missed open jumpers, airballed a shot, and got into foul trouble.

Big play by Cole.

I know he was called for the foul, but how important was that block by Cole on Sheehey?

Sheehey was still jawing after he was stuffed and Cole stared him down. It looked like it settled the team down. Cole took it upon himself to put Sheehey back in his place. The freshman wasn't the same after... missed open jumpers, airballed a shot, and got into foul trouble.

Big play by Cole.

Sheehey is a punk. Unless your last name is Sullinger, then as a freshman you keep your f*cking mouth shut.

One of the great things about yesterday was that the Hawks were able to defend without fouling (only 15 fouls in the game). When you do that, you can afford to waste a foul or two just to put someone in their place. Loved it.

One of the great things about yesterday was that the Hawks were able to defend without fouling (only 15 fouls in the game). When you do that, you can afford to waste a foul or two just to put someone in their place. Loved it.
Good point.

Reminded me about that May stuff. That was sick!

Jarrydaks play was the play of the game. He brought the team together after the play before the free throws...that is what Iowa will miss the most when he is gone. Three time captain speaks volumes to his character.

Big play by Cole.

Not to mention the fact that Sheehey got owned by Basabe most of the game and especially after his career dunk that made even him look surprised.

Shut your mouth son... there's still a lot of ball to play.

When Mel and May dunk it, they generally act like they've done it before.

JC showed a ton of senior leadership on that play and like you said spank settled the team down because everyone on the Hawk team knows not to mess with JC. Huge play in the game!

JC showed a ton of senior leadership on that play and like you said spank settled the team down because everyone on the Hawk team knows not to mess with JC. Huge play in the game!
Huge play... JC let him know what was up. I'm not even sure if he fouled him. We will miss JC a lot more then we think next year. Great leader.

I'm not really sure why some are getting bent about the kids dunk...it was flippin awesome but sucked it was against us. Now what the kid did after the dunk should have drawn a T but still give credit to a pretty sick play.

When Cole took it to him on the next set, that was even better and should have made the highlights as well. I only wish he would have put the kid to the floor (not hurt him).

Biggest play of the game. He gets that second dunk down and it's game over.

I for one, did not feel the post dunk deserved a T. He seemed shocked it happened, just dropped his jaw for a bit. Great dunk!

I for one, did not feel the post dunk deserved a T. He seemed shocked it happened, just dropped his jaw for a bit. Great dunk!
No he didn't he was spouting off trying to show the Hawks up. T maybe but never seen it. Its not like football with the "excessive celebration" penalty. But I do think they need to consider the actions sometimes because this is where the chippy stuff starts. Pritchard should have gotten a foul when he grabbed the ball when Mel had it under the hoop.

Definite taunting. If not a T, certainly deserved a talking-to by someone wearing black and white.

Definite taunting. If not a T, certainly deserved a talking-to by someone wearing black and white.

I don't think that was T worthy at all Tweeter. He dunked it, and ran back down the court (albeit with jaw wide open admiring his own dunk). Let the kids enjoy the game and have fun. I hated that moment just like every other Hawk fan, as he did it against us. Yet nothing he did was excessive. I personally hate it more when players start pounding their chest, making it about me, me, look at me and what I just did....

Last edited:
Guys he was legitimately excited after a tremendous tremendous play. He's not a punk. Grow up a little bit.

That was literally one of the best dunks you are going to see in college basketball this year, those saying May and Basabee act like they've been there before, well they haven't been there before. Neither one of them has done anything like that.

Regarding the OP yes it was a huge play by Jarryd. He said "hell no" for the rest of the team and it really seemed to spark thier play.

The best part of this was afterward Fran kept going to Basabe again and again. Sheehe had absolutely no answer for him. Sweet, you had an impressive (very) dunk, but you got owned the rest of the game.

I always liked Cole. Good kid and works hard. I thought the exact same thing when he went up and blocked/fouled Sheehey. You just can't let a kid like Sheehey dunk on you back to back plays. Pride has to set it for a competitor and it did for Cole.

The guy was jawing a little bit after the dunk. Watch him after the play, on the D end, then again when he gets blocked. He was def taunting, and kept giving Iowa those smug grins. That much is true.

I'm not saying it wasn't deserved, hell if I pull off that dunk as a frosh, I'd be pretty stoked to. I don't think it was T-deserving, but maybe a little talk by the refs was in line. Regardless, the point I was making was that Cole got Iowa's back on that play. It was awesome and everyone rallied around that and the way Cole stared him down after it.

How old are some of you? My god, the kid made one of the best plays in the Big Ten season and he deserves to be a little fired up about it. It isn't the 1950's and short shorts are out of style, sorry.

It wasn't what he did after his dunk so much as even after Cole rejected him(yes it was not a foul), he was still shaking his head and acting like a punk. Cole stared him down and I think more than anything it pi$$ed us off and like Spank said was rallying point. Lesson learned for him I guess.

Latest posts