Jack Nunge

Tierney

Nunge is first team all state in Indiana and is in running for the states Mr. basketball. Garza is the player of the year in Washington D.C. .

Yeah but can they match Lickliter recruits? ROFLMAO!!!!! That's great news. I hope they both tear it up in the B1G.

I hope no one takes some of my post wrong. I've been following HAWKEYE basket since I was knee high to a grasshopper. No one wants Fran to successful as I do (except maybe his wife).

I thought I heard he was in the top 5 finalists for Mr. Basketball with 4 other guys all ranked in the top 30ish nationally. Now I see on twitter he's in the top 4. Does that mean one of the top 30 kids got eliminated, or was I wrong and the first thing I heard was actually a top 4 and not a top 5?

Since Garza was mentioned.

Nice stroke. Good B Ball sense. More developed at this point than Nunge. Willing to go left. Good coordination.

Kind of slow.

Fran is putting together of team of good fundamental team players. Solid. Needs more quickness in recruits.

At the risk of causing 21 and Dean heart attacks....FM is recruiting good fundamental shooters. Why doesn't his own kid have strong fundamentals on shooting? Didn't say CM can't make shots. I don't know how a D1 coaches kid pushes the ball and has such a low release point? Legit question. That said, JB, CM, Nunge, and Garza are all out of the same basic mold and represent a solid foundation. Speed is needed.

Garza reminds me of Collins from the Zags only slower, but not too slow.

It has been a long time since I have been as excited for a recruit as I am right now with Nunge. He appears to have the tools to be a great, to very great player for the Haweyes. I was thinking early on his game reminded me of Uthoff but in the clip below, there are similarities in style and play to Laetner. I am not saying he will be the next Laetner but Jack has some serious game.

I really like Cooper Neese, kind of has some Luke Recker game to him and believe Butler will benefit from him almost immediately.

How did Indiana miss out on these 4 guys?

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...7-indystar-mr-basketball-finalists/100064018/

Since Garza was mentioned.

Nice stroke. Good B Ball sense. More developed at this point than Nunge. Willing to go left. Good coordination.

Kind of slow.

Fran is putting together of team of good fundamental team players. Solid. Needs more quickness in recruits.

At the risk of causing 21 and Dean heart attacks....FM is recruiting good fundamental shooters. Why doesn't his own kid have strong fundamentals on shooting? Didn't say CM can't make shots. I don't know how a D1 coaches kid pushes the ball and has such a low release point? Legit question. That said, JB, CM, Nunge, and Garza are all out of the same basic mold and represent a solid foundation. Speed is needed.

Garza reminds me of Collins from the Zags only slower, but not too slow.

Are you saying I wouldn't like FM recruiting good fundamental shooters or are you saying I disagree with your take on CM?

I'll answer both. I like Fran's recruiting. Surprisingly, I actually mostly agree with your take on CM. I've been saying that for quite some time on this board and don't really have much as far as expectations for next year.

Everyone knew we lacked perimeter quickness last year. The problem was Jok and JBo were playing 60 minutes a game. If we fill in Jok's 30 minutes with Moss and Williams primarily that will be a step in the right direction. I've kinda been holding out hope that Dailey could earn a spot in the rotation to help in this regard as well.

Another point to be made is that length can be an equalizer to quickness. Uthoff was never the quickest guy but he could guard 3s. Nunge may be able to do the same, time will tell.

So not sure why you brought my name up, given my position on CM. I'll chalk this up as another GoldFail. Honestly though with 5656 not around anymore you do provide some of that entertainment.

Are you saying I wouldn't like FM recruiting good fundamental shooters or are you saying I disagree with your take on CM?

I'll answer both. I like Fran's recruiting. Surprisingly, I actually mostly agree with your take on CM. I've been saying that for quite some time on this board and don't really have much as far as expectations for next year.

Everyone knew we lacked perimeter quickness last year. The problem was Jok and JBo were playing 60 minutes a game. If we fill in Jok's 30 minutes with Moss and Williams primarily that will be a step in the right direction. I've kinda been holding out hope that Dailey could earn a spot in the rotation to help in this regard as well.

Another point to be made is that length can be an equalizer to quickness. Uthoff was never the quickest guy but he could guard 3s. Nunge may be able to do the same, time will tell.

So not sure why you brought my name up, given my position on CM. I'll chalk this up as another GoldFail. Honestly though with 5656 not around anymore you do provide some of that entertainment.

Funny Nike. Don't trip over your Nike strings. You seem to like to rib me and vice versa. I'm not really disagreeing. Honestly I think Williams should have gotten more time this year. Coming from a very small school, he needs experience and does provide quickeness.

Back to FM, he is a much better choice than was Groce.

Good basketball awareness. Shoots the 3. Baseline move and blocks out - old school (someone taught him well).

Passes well. Decent fundamentals on shot. Uses both hands for shooting. Has coordination.

Cons - slow. Needs physical development. He's 6-9 and 185. Rather weak in upper body.

See video: http://www.scout.com/player/207883-jack-nunge/videos/?year=2016

I've stated it before, but I'll state it again.... Jack Nunge is not 6'9" 185lbs. Those were his height and weight from some time in his junior season. He is 6'11" 220lbs. according to his high school team roster page: http://castleknightsathletics.com/boys_basketball/boys_varsity_basketball/schedule

Nunge also had a great senior year and even better tournament run. He averaged 22.8pts, 11.6 reb and 3.5 blocks per game. He did not foul out of any games and only had 4 fouls twice. In the Indiana 4A tournament (there are only 4 classes in Indiana basketball), he got better as the team went farther. His last game, a loss in the state semifinals, he went for 32 points (68% from the field and 6-6 from the line), 14 boards and 2 blocks and had only 3 fouls while playing every minute of the game.

I have no idea why he isn't ranked better by the recruiting services.

Nunge also had a great senior year and even better tournament run. He averaged 22.8pts, 11.6 reb and 3.5 blocks per game. He did not foul out of any games and only had 4 fouls twice. In the Indiana 4A tournament (there are only 4 classes in Indiana basketball), he got better as the team went farther. His last game, a loss in the state semifinals, he went for 32 points (68% from the field and 6-6 from the line), 14 boards and 2 blocks and had only 3 fouls while playing every minute of the game.

Wow. I really liked this summary. Sounds like you did your homework! (no sarcasm here)

I remember early last summer, Jack was ranked 94+ by 247. Then, for no apparent reason, he dropped to 88. Soon after, he committed to Iowa. With his performances this spring, does he get back to 94? Or is he somehow still a guy with 'potential' at 6'9"/185 (lol), when it's quite obvious, just looking at tape, that he's grown since then.

I've stated it before, but I'll state it again.... Jack Nunge is not 6'9" 185lbs. Those were his height and weight from some time in his junior season. He is 6'11" 220lbs. according to his high school team roster page: http://castleknightsathletics.com/boys_basketball/boys_varsity_basketball/schedule
I agree. I read all the clippings on him this year and they all refer to him as 6'11". Apparently he is still growing and could be 7' by next year. I am a huge fan of both Nunge and Garza and I think Connor will surprise a lot on this board.

Look at some of these recent Mr Basketball in the state of Indiana:

Greg Odon
Tyler Zeller
Deshaun Thomas
Cody Zeller
Gary Harris
Zach Irvin
Trey Lyles
Caleb Swanigan

I think Connor and Luka are both in the ESPN top 100 now. Hopefully, on April 28 Jack will be picked as player of the year in Indiana. All three of Iowa recruits are obviously gifted, and if Jack has grown a couple of inches and comes in around 225 or 230 lbs, it would be hard to believe he isn't one of the top picks.

Yeah but can they match Lickliter recruits? ROFLMAO!!!!! That's great news. I hope they both tear it up in the B1G.

I hope no one takes some of my post wrong. I've been following HAWKEYE basket since I was knee high to a grasshopper. No one wants Fran to successful as I do (except maybe his wife).

I'm being serious here. When Lickliter coached I never saw either a dunk or a team press from Iowa in 3 years. Just a bunch of pasty white kids running up and down the court, and not very fast at that.