Jack Nunge Will Red Shirt

How it played out all adds up. But is that the correct route?

Ask yourself this, if another coach was coaching this team would Kriener and Pemsl play?

In my opinion Beilein wouldn’t play those guys. Gard rotates 2 maybe 3 bigs, with a former 4 star riding the pine. I doubt he would play both. Turgeon I don’t think would, Izzo might early in the year but would cut the rotation down as the year went on. Ohio State basically played one or two bigs last year.

To me it’s simple, this is a Fran problem.

Beilein had 9 guys average 10 or more minutes last year. Not saying I don't agree with your point...Fran does go deeper into his bench than he probably should. However Fran's main 2 or 3 players always get their 30 minutes. This year those 3 players are JBo, Cook and Wieskamp. With Garza probably getting around 25 minutes.

Iowa isn't losing games because Pemsl plays 12 minutes. They're losing games because they are pathetic on defense.

The other elephant in the room is Pemsl isn’t actually a 4 man. He’s a 5 man who has the height of a 4 man.

In today’s day and age 4s have to be able to move their feet, hit some sort of outside shot, and be able to handle the ball. Can Cordell guard Lamar Stevens, Isaac Copeland, Juwan Morgan, and Jordan Murphy types? Even skinny Cordell has little or no chance against those guys.

Beilein had 9 guys average 10 or more minutes last year. Not saying I don't agree with your point...Fran does go deeper into his bench than he probably should. However Fran's main 2 or 3 players always get their 30 minutes. This year those 3 players are JBo, Cook and Wieskamp. With Garza probably getting around 25 minutes.

Iowa isn't losing games because Pemsl plays 12 minutes. They're losing games because they are pathetic on defense.
7 of those 9 guys were guards/wings (Duncan Robinson is a wing). The only two bigs were Wagner and Teske, Teske played only 12 minutes per game... that’s the difference!!

This is good for all parties involved IMO. I also like that he and Fredrick will be playing together all season on the scout team...should establish some good chemistry.

Part of me feels like this is the beginning of the end for Nunge in a Hawkeye uniform. But the other part thinks this is a smart move of he is in for the long haul. I love his skill set as he reminds me of a more physical Uthoff. Really we should be happy about this move as this is what Dailey should of done his freshman year.

It would be interesting to know who the Iowa starters would be if Olson, Davis, or Raveling were the head coach. I doubt it would make much of a difference if lickliter were in charge.

Yeah, and add Ralph Miller. Heck, it would be interesting to know if the Hawks could win if they played the Harlem Globetrotters.

It's completely fucking irrelevant to this team/season, but it sure is interesting :rolleyes:

Exactly... my issue is In my opinion we’re not playing our best lineups and this will result in playing guys minutes that Jack could be playing and the team would be better off in a year that needs to be a bounce back.

Just a guess but I’ll be surprised if he finishes his career as a hawk. He’s going to be competing for playing time with the coaches son now moving forward.

And if Frans willing to play Cordell and Kriener ahead of him now, is that going to change next year?

It just seems based on timing there’s more rot he story and we’ll look back and go, not surprising he left after being redshirted.

Hope that’s not the case.
If he truly wanted to transfer, he'd do it now. He's not going to do it after the season and have to sit a second consecutive year.

Pat has a long, long way to go from a physical standpoint to compete against fours in the Big Ten. Like 40 lbs minimum and corresponding strength.

It would have made less sense to redshirt Kreiner or Pemsl and then bring them back next year with no guarantees that their role would increase. Best to get them through the system as quickly as possible and decrease their minutes if necessary.

It makes more sense to shirt the guy with more long term potential who will now have two full years after Cordell, Ryan and Tyler have departed.

If he truly wanted to transfer, he'd do it now. He's not going to do it after the season and have to sit a second consecutive year.

Pat has a long, long way to go from a physical standpoint to compete against fours in the Big Ten. Like 40 lbs minimum and corresponding strength.

It would have made less sense to redshirt Kreiner or Pemsl and then bring them back next year with no guarantees that their role would increase. Best to get them through the system as quickly as possible and decrease their minutes if necessary.

It makes more sense to shirt the guy with more long term potential who will now have two full years after Cordell, Ryan and Tyler have departed.

Speaking of Pat, I wonder if anyone has asked Fran if he would be redshirting his first year on campus? I'm guessing it's too early for anyone to have asked though. I know Pat has gained some weight but I doubt his body will be Big Ten ready by the time he's eligible.