Jack Nunge Will Red Shirt

Some are saying this means he will be a Hawk for life. I'm with you (sigh), and wonder is he's not looking for an out.

Yea I said that. I didn't even think about semester. That has me a little worried. If he's still here next year, then it means he wont transfer.

The only reason there is a logjam is because our coach doesn’t have the stones to sit guys. There is no rule that you have to play every scholarship guy. Not having Nunge undoubtedly hurts us for this year. I think it’s a dumb move.
It's put up or shut up time for Ryan and Cordell. Regardless of who is redshirting. No argument there.

If anything, it's an encouraging sign that Garza is close to 100%. Nunge wouldn't be redshirting if they were concerned about Garza's health as well, even if they don't play the same position.

It's put up or shut up time for Ryan and Cordell. Regardless of who is redshirting. No argument there.

If anything, it's an encouraging sign that Garza is close to 100%. Nunge wouldn't be redshirting if they were concerned about Garza's health as well, even if they don't play the same position.

I agree with all of this.

I liked Cordell as a frosh (he was actually one of the most efficient players on the team) and he was serviceable last season. He struggled last night. We'll find out if he can be efficient with his slimmed down body.

Ryan has been serviceable his first two years but has been plagued with the early years Woodbury foul syndrome, averaging over 6 fouls per 40 minutes in both seasons to start his career. If he can stay out of foul trouble he may actually prove to people he can play. He played decent last night with 6 points and 8 boards in just 16 minutes, to go along with a surprising 0 fouls. That said he was chucking 3s, I'm not sure I like that unless he's left wide open. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and be an efficient shooter from deep, he does have nice touch from mid range.

The more I think about this and the timing, it just doesn’t make sense.

Jack started the last 5-6 games last year. How do you go from ending the year as a starter as a fresh and then redshirt?

Why did he play as part of the rotation in the exhibition?

In what should be a year that we have all hands on deck to make the tourney, why are we redshirting a guy that could help?

Am I over valuing Jack’s ability?

Jack started the last 5-6 games last year. How do you go from ending the year as a starter as a fresh and then redshirt?

In what should be a year that we have all hands on deck to make the tourney, why are we redshirting a guy that could help?

Last year Jack ranked 4th on the team in PER, 4th in WS/40, 3rd in box +/-, 2nd on the team in blocks, T-4 in steals. His versatility was huge in my opinion, recall he did most of that being forced by Fran to play out of position.

This doesn’t make sense for this season.

My guess is Fran told him that he was going to get Kriener and Pemsl minutes meaning there were 5 bigs going to play. Jack probably wisely said I’ll take a redshirt and hopefully start next year when Cook departs.

Last edited:
Last year Jack ranked 4th on the team in PER, 4th in WS/40, 3rd in box +/-, 2nd on the team in blocks, T-4 in steals. His versatility was huge in my opinion, recall he did most of that being forced by Fran to play out of position.

This doesn’t make sense for this season.

My guess is Fran told him that he was going to get Kriener and Pemsl minutes meaning there were 5 bigs going to play. Jack probably wisely said I’ll take a redshirt and hopefully start next year when Cook departs.

How does Cordell compare in these stats?

I think Jack was the 4th best player on last years team, that’s why he ended up starting even though it was out of position. I had him as the 5th best player for this year behind Weiskamp and due to his position he’d be our 6th man. This is a blow to a team that needed a lot to go right to make the tournament.

This is 100% on Fran and his loyalty to Kriener and Pemsl.

Last edited:
How does Cordell compare in these stats?
Cordell was 5th in PER, 5th in WS/40, and 7th in box +/-. He had 15 less blocks and 14 less steals, along with 19 less 3s. He was a better rebounder than Nunge.

Just compare the two though in a team looking for defense. Jack is 6’11 and can move his feet, Cordell is 6’8 and slow.

Those numbers also don’t tell the story that Fran was playing Jack out of position where he had less of a chance to succeed.

IMO it's a good idea. Nunge looked lost on the court a lot last year. The Hawks have plenty of bigs this year. When Cook leaves Nunge will be ready to fill his shoes.

There's just a logjam right now. With Cook getting 30 minutes at the 4 and Wieskamp getting 30 minutes at the 3...theres just not enough minutes to go around. Next year with Baer and Cook likely gone, a ton of minutes open up. The year after that Kriener and Pemsl will be gone as well.

I think its likely that Nunge starts at the 4 next year if Cook departs, and moving Nunge back a grade smooths out the classes a little better as well. Seems like a win for everyone

Also, looking at things from Nunge's perspective, this gives him another year of schooling. So he could graduate early and transfer to another school if the playing time isnt here at Iowa....like Brady Ellingson did.

IMO it's a good idea. Nunge looked lost on the court a lot last year. The Hawks have plenty of bigs this year. When Cook leaves Nunge will be ready to fill his shoes.
Is Nunge a better player than Kriener and Pemsl? My opinion is that he is and many of the stats agree.

The logjam in the frontcourt is a Fran issue not a Nunge issue.

Again I think Nunge made the right decision for himself personally knowing what we know about Fran. But for Iowa basketball 2018-2019 I do not see this as a positive.

There's just a logjam right now. With Cook getting 30 minutes at the 4 and Wieskamp getting 30 minutes at the 3...theres just not enough minutes to go around. Next year with Baer and Cook likely gone, a ton of minutes open up. The year after that Kriener and Pemsl will be gone as well.

I think its likely that Nunge starts at the 4 next year if Cook departs, and moving Nunge back a grade smooths out the classes a little better as well. Seems like a win for everyone

Also, looking at things from Nunge's perspective, this gives him another year of schooling. So he could graduate early and transfer to another school if the playing time isnt here at Iowa....like Brady Ellingson did.
It’s a log jam because Fran continues to play Kriener and Pemsl. It’s not like these guys are so good they just have to play. If they were at pretty much any other B1G school one if not both of them would be out if the rotation.

Is Nunge a better player than Kriener and Pemsl? My opinion is that he is and many of the stats agree.

The logjam in the frontcourt is a Fran issue not a Nunge issue.

Again I think Nunge made the right decision for himself personally knowing what we know about Fran. But for Iowa basketball 2018-2019 I do not see this as a positive.
It would be interesting to know who the Iowa starters would be if Olson, Davis, or Raveling were the head coach. I doubt it would make much of a difference if lickliter were in charge.

It would be interesting to know who the Iowa starters would be if Olson, Davis, or Raveling were the head coach. I doubt it would make much of a difference if lickliter were in charge.
If Jon Belien were the Head Coach it’s likely that Garza and Cook would really be the only bigs that played. Baer would play exclusively the 4.

It’s a log jam because Fran continues to play Kriener and Pemsl. It’s not like these guys are so good they just have to play. If they were at pretty much any other B1G school one if not both of them would be out if the rotation.

Exactly... my issue is In my opinion we’re not playing our best lineups and this will result in playing guys minutes that Jack could be playing and the team would be better off in a year that needs to be a bounce back.

Just a guess but I’ll be surprised if he finishes his career as a hawk. He’s going to be competing for playing time with the coaches son now moving forward.

And if Frans willing to play Cordell and Kriener ahead of him now, is that going to change next year?

It just seems based on timing there’s more rot he story and we’ll look back and go, not surprising he left after being redshirted.

Hope that’s not the case.

If Jon Belien were the Head Coach it’s likely that Garza and Cook would really the only bigs that played. Baer would play exclusively the 4.
I was just thinking about how Tom Davis would adjust how he coached to the talent he had on the team, instead of trying to make the talent fit his coaching.

Exactly... my issue is In my opinion we’re not playing our best lineups and this will result in playing guys minutes that Jack could be playing and the team would be better off in a year that needs to be a bounce back.

Just a guess but I’ll be surprised if he finishes his career as a hawk. He’s going to be competing for playing time with the coaches son now moving forward.

And if Frans willing to play Cordell and Kriener ahead of him now, is that going to change next year?

It just seems based on timing there’s more rot he story and we’ll look back and go, not surprising he left after being redshirted.

Hope that’s not the case.

I honestly think it came down to Fran telling Jack that hes probably only going to play 10 minutes this year and he'd be better off redshirting...and Jack agreed.

Also we don't know all the details. Its possible Fran approached Kriener and Pemsl this year or last year with the same thing and neither of them wanted to redshirt. But out of those 3 Nunge makes the most sense....he'll have 3 more seasons to play.

I honestly think it came down to Fran telling Jack that hes probably only going to play 10 minutes this year and he'd be better off redshirting...and Jack agreed.

Also we don't know all the details. Its possible Fran approached Kriener and Pemsl this year or last year with the same thing and neither of them wanted to redshirt. But out of those 3 Nunge makes the most sense....he'll have 3 more seasons to play.
How it played out all adds up. But is that the correct route?

Ask yourself this, if another coach was coaching this team would Kriener and Pemsl play?

In my opinion Beilein wouldn’t play those guys. Gard rotates 2 maybe 3 bigs, with a former 4 star riding the pine. I doubt he would play both. Turgeon I don’t think would, Izzo might early in the year but would cut the rotation down as the year went on. Ohio State basically played one or two bigs last year.

To me it’s simple, this is a Fran problem.

Last edited:
How it played out all adds up. But is that the correct route?

Ask yourself this, if another coach was coaching this team would Kriener and Pemsl play?

In my opinion Beilein wouldn’t play those guys. Gard rotates 2 maybe 3 bigs, with a former 4 star riding the pine. I doubt he would play both. Turgeon I don’t think would, Izzo might early in the year but would cut the rotation down as the year went on. Ohio State basically played one or two bigs last year.

To me it’s simple, this is a Fran problem.

Maybe Fran doesn't think his seat is that hot so he thinks he can afford to sand bag talent.