J Uthoff

No crap. Averaging a double-double. Man, you'd think he'd get another legit shot at the show if they have a season this year.

He's got that poor mans Dirk Nowitzki fadeaway down. It's just such a tough to defend shot against long players like him. Man it'd be nice if he could stick and carve out a nitch for himself in the league

Yes, Jarrod has signed a full contract to play with the New Orleans Pelicans. I believe his years in the G League count as years in the NBA so even if he signed a minimum contract those years count and I don't know, off the top of my head, what his salary will be but it's got to be at least $1.5M I'd guess.

Yes, Jarrod has signed a full contract to play with the New Orleans Pelicans. I believe his years in the G League count as years in the NBA so even if he signed a minimum contract those years count and I don't know, off the top of my head, what his salary will be but it's got to be at least $1.5M I'd guess.

1 year, non-guaranteed, $1.62 million. Becomes guaranteed if they don’t cut him by Jan 10.

Those non-guaranteed with deadlines have got JU before, let's hope not this time.

Here's the official roster for hte Pelicans, it seems like he's in a pretty good situation. He'll battle Brandon Ingram and Zion for a starting spot, OK, maybe not but I don't see why he can't be in the mix for some minutes.

He'll have Lonzo Ball and Eric Bledsoe getting him the ball.

1 year, non-guaranteed, $1.62 million. Becomes guaranteed if they don’t cut him by Jan 10.
That's why guys like him and Cook stick around the USA and keep trying. What are guys like Aaron White Sapp and Jok pulling down bouncing around the other side of the Atlantic? Low 6 figures? maybe 500k? I have no clue honestly. What's more fun being the 12th man in the NBA for that kind of money or getting to play a ton for half the money? Does that even matter at all to them you think either?

Those non-guaranteed with deadlines have got JU before, let's hope not this time.

Here's the official roster for hte Pelicans, it seems like he's in a pretty good situation. He'll battle Brandon Ingram and Zion for a starting spot, OK, maybe not but I don't see why he can't be in the mix for some minutes.

Any chance Uthoff knows who Jaxon-Hayes dad is?.... I sure do

I'd forgotten who Jaxson Hayes dad is but it only took a quick goodle to remind me. I'll have a second reason to watch some Pels ball on TV. I think I saw they play on Xmas Day.

That's why guys like him and Cook stick around the USA and keep trying. What are guys like Aaron White Sapp and Jok pulling down bouncing around the other side of the Atlantic? Low 6 figures? maybe 500k? I have no clue honestly. What's more fun being the 12th man in the NBA for that kind of money or getting to play a ton for half the money? Does that even matter at all to them you think either?
I think a lot of it comes down to job security though. The guys going over to Europe are pretty much guaranteed to coast out their careers on that kind of money, and they have a way less grueling lifestyle.

NBA is a one in a million shot and there's no comfortable middle ground. You're either making $60K a year until your body is shot and you get cut from a G-league team, or you get signed for a couple mil with no guarantee if all the sudden your team needs to make a million dollars of cap room for a last minute trade.

I bet if you averaged career earnings out over the career span of say, White and Jok vs Cook and Uthoff (and other players like that), you'd see there's more money long term for the Euro crowd (on average).

Last edited:

Yeah I never take any heed into it until the deadline passes. Those teams are constantly working angles in the off season trying to add to their team, and if a deal with a difference maker comes up and they need some cap room it's bye bye, back to the minors. Happens more often than it doesn't happen.

Tony Carr has bounced around a bit since he left Penn State early. He could have really used one more year of collegiate play.

I think a lot of it comes down to job security though. The guys going over to Europe are pretty much guaranteed to coast out their careers on that kind of money, and they have a way less grueling lifestyle.

NBA is a one in a million shot and there's no comfortable middle ground. You're either making $60K a year until your body is shot and you get cut from a G-league team, or you get signed for a couple mil with no guarantee if all the sudden your team needs to make a million dollars of cap room for a last minute trade.

I bet if you averaged career earnings out over the career span of say, White and Jok vs Cook and Uthoff (and other players like that), you'd see there's more money long term for the Euro crowd (on average).
I'd bet so too because guys over here like Cook are often cut and out of work for weeks on end too. As you mentioned it's a job security thing and just a lifestyle thing. Some folks don't want anything to do with living over seas and all that goes with that. (imagine now with the covid crap ugh) But yeah those guys may not knock down millions a year (the best of the best in the good higher leagues do I know they have several of them) But they are living more then comfortably.

If Uthoff could latch on just for 2 or 3 yrs in the NBA and knock down 3-5 million that'd make the previous handful of years more then worth it to have bounced around like he has. Same with Cook who's trying to do the same.

I'd forgotten who Jaxson Hayes dad is but it only took a quick goodle to remind me. I'll have a second reason to watch some Pels ball on TV. I think I saw they play on Xmas Day.
I remember him getting recruited a little bit and I don't think Iowa was ever really in on him that much. Went to Texas for his cup of coffee and to the NBA he went. Kid probably made more money last yr then his old man did in how ever many years he played in the NFL. He was a dang good TE for KC most of it I think

I've always thought that down deep guys go overseas when they give up the dream of making it in the NBA but it's different for each guy. Some spend a few years overseas, improve their games and then make it in the NBA.

Uthoff spent one year overseas, in Russia I think it was, and the committed to the G League or bust. He's 27 so has a good 5 years to make it big. Cook is only 23 so he's got time to improve his game and make it. Jok spent two years in the G League and evidently didn't see it happening so went overseas to make more money I'm guessing. I always thought Aaron White had a shot at the NBA but he did need a consistent 3 point shot. If guys play 10-15 years overseas they can set aside some serious money a la Greg Brunner.

I remember him getting recruited a little bit and I don't think Iowa was ever really in on him that much. Went to Texas for his cup of coffee and to the NBA he went. Kid probably made more money last yr then his old man did in how ever many years he played in the NFL. He was a dang good TE for KC most of it I think
I don't think Iowa even offered him, which was odd considering his dad is an alum.

I don't think Iowa even offered him, which was odd considering his dad is an alum.
Yeah I can't say if we offered him. I'm confident they knew of him but yeah I can't say if we ever offered or not either. He was a late growing kid I believe. Like 6'2 one yr 6'9 the next kinda thing but ended up over 7' That'd be crazy. It'd be weird enough being that tall to begin with but to grow so dang fast would be unreal.

Latest posts