J Bruce Harreld, new President at University of Iowa

If his primary focus is reducing costs, then he's going fail miserably. You're not going to cut your way to prosperity vis a vis a University. While increasing efficiency and synergies (I apologize for the corporate speak) are worthy and necessary goals, you're not going to improve the U by starving the beast. Austerity is the enemy of prosperity when you're trying to expand. This hire indicates to me that the U believes that it has the competitive advantages to be something bigger and better than it is now; we shall see about that. That's going to require increased revenues.

His focus should be expansion of visibility, prestige and revenues. The U of I has a monster golden goose with the UIHC and its prestigious med and law programs lend it academic credibility.

I'm glad they didn't pick the safe choice and go with some career sheltered academic. I don't think that's what's needed in this climate. But this is no slam dunk; it could go off the rails pretty quick.

Still, as someone addicted to risk, what the hell. Go for it.

Love this post, and the thoughts Thunder. I had never thought about the U of I using this hire as a guy to really grown the U. It would be a brilliant move if that is the case, as Iowa does have the ability to be something bigger as you said. Now I guess we will see if Harrold can be the guy to grow it.

I also find it interesting that he is going to be an "outsider" so to speak of the academia world that he will be in charge of leading. As you said in another post when you are led by a person with the same "group think" in essence it can really fester from within. Bad habits, bad behavior, and bad practices have a tendency to be swept under the rug, because as group think often does, it excuses these types of things. As an example it drives me nuts when the media has to report on stories about the media. When one of theirs does something, they usually soft play it, make it seem less than it was, and make excuses for them all day long....and that is if they even acknowledge it or report it at all. Hopefully Harrold can challenge the faculty to be better, as the one thing we know is academia doesn't like to be challenged, but we also know that to get the best out of an individual or a group they do need to be challenged. It will be a very interesting dynamic to watch.

Latest posts