J Bruce Harreld, new President at University of Iowa

I appreciate your thoughts Dodger. And you are correct, my fears might turn out to be wrong. And for the sake of UI, I hope I am wrong. I'm all for making the University more efficient without sacrificing educational quality. I sincerely hope that that will be his commitment.

The left are only tolerant of people like themselves, so there goes that idea.

Wtf are you talking about? How about we keep politics off the board...or you know I could say the Right hates gays, blacks, mexicans, poor people, muslims...Pretty much anyone but white rich people. Tolerant are those people.

I appreciate your thoughts Dodger. And you are correct, my fears might turn out to be wrong. And for the sake of UI, I hope I am wrong. I'm all for making the University more efficient without sacrificing educational quality. I sincerely hope that that will be his commitment.

I could go on for a long time on this topic (as could you, I think). It is important to the future of the school and more importantly the people of Iowa.

Wtf are you talking about? How about we keep politics off the board...or you know I could say the Right hates gays, blacks, mexicans, poor people, muslims...Pretty much anyone but white rich people. Tolerant are those people.

This rhetoric is a lot of the reason our nation has been circling the toilet the past few years.
Rubbish.

This is the biggest bunch of crap I've seen on here in awhile. I consider myself to be on the right and I don't hate any of those groups you list. I do hate people that think like you do, though.

Sorry guys, but this one does not pass the smell test. The Regents may as well have crowned this guy and not bothered to interview the 3 highly qualified, traditional candidates. The Regents completely ignored the feedback from the stakeholders. Is that not what has drawn the ire of many on this board when it comes to decisions made by GB and SM? I cannot believe it is wise to embark on an experimental president for a major Big Ten University with a stellar reputation for teaching, research, and service. You think KF's contract was long...what might this guy do to the U. in five years? At least the buyout would not be so substantial.

Organizational research has clearly pointed out the major differences between private and public sector leadership techniques, let alone the fact that this guy knows absolutely nothing about the U. of Iowa...Wikepedia as a research tool? Geez. That is flat out embarrassing.

Many on this board have been adamant that the new Pres should fire BG and KF. Though I hardly agree with that conclusion, it would be a total waste of time to speculate on what the new Pres might do in that regard.

An earlier poster wrote a long and well reasoned response to this hire. Read it and consider it seriously. A piece of advice I have tried hard to follow when it comes to making important decisions..."You had better be right." The Regents must be held to this standard and should voluntarily resign if they are not "right." After all, the stakes are the reputation and the future of one of the finest universities in the country. The pick was brilliant, elections have consequences and I am glad this state chose Branstad.

I keep hearing "stakeholder" as applied to the faculty and employees. I think the stockholders are the people of Iowa and the Board of Regents are the board of directors. I don't believe the Regents "owe" anything to the stakeholders, especially not after watching the questioning of the new president; they are the problem. Where does this faculty entitlement come from? It is the state's university not a bunch of left-wing nutcases, they have no vote. I hope the guy cleans house, although I understand that he cannot due to tenure, there is still a lot that he can clean up.

If the academics and activists are angry, I'm all for this hire. Most haven't seen the real world since LBJ.

Sorry guys, but this one does not pass the smell test. The Regents may as well have crowned this guy and not bothered to interview the 3 highly qualified, traditional candidates. The Regents completely ignored the feedback from the stakeholders. Is that not what has drawn the ire of many on this board when it comes to decisions made by GB and SM? I cannot believe it is wise to embark on an experimental president for a major Big Ten University with a stellar reputation for teaching, research, and service. You think KF's contract was long...what might this guy do to the U. in five years? At least the buyout would not be so substantial.

Organizational research has clearly pointed out the major differences between private and public sector leadership techniques, let alone the fact that this guy knows absolutely nothing about the U. of Iowa...Wikepedia as a research tool? Geez. That is flat out embarrassing.

Many on this board have been adamant that the new Pres should fire BG and KF. Though I hardly agree with that conclusion, it would be a total waste of time to speculate on what the new Pres might do in that regard.

An earlier poster wrote a long and well reasoned response to this hire. Read it and consider it seriously. A piece of advice I have tried hard to follow when it comes to making important decisions..."You had better be right." The Regents must be held to this standard and should voluntarily resign if they are not "right." After all, the stakes are the reputation and the future of one of the finest universities in the country.

I think those opposed to this might be dealing with change management fears. A common human reaction when the status quo gets disrupted. Seriously, here is a 3 minute video that might help you out. Many on this board are in phase 1 of 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBei93Nl7cg

I have no idea how he will pan out. However, universities and the athletics therein are indeed now a business, for better or worse.

A president no longer needs to come from a teaching/coaching background, he needs to be able to manage people and departments that are run by people who do, and hold them accountable.

Again, I do not have any idea how this will work out, but leadership that seems to come from a stark contrast to former, might just work.

Time will tell. I will say I think athletics will have more administrative support than they've had in quite some time.

Latest posts