J Bruce Harreld, new President at University of Iowa

I think the reaction to this hire by the ivory-tower group in IC shows why the Regents did what they did. They understand that there is a status quo mentality going on at the UI right now that needs to be broken if the UI ever wants to move up the food chain. No organization ever stands pat.....they're either moving up or they're moving down and the UI has been moving down for some time now. Time to shake things up.

With all that being said, though, I'm not sure that this specific person is really the best the Regents could have done, from an outside-hire perspective.

I'm interested to see what happens.

Think it's pretty clear that he was brought in as a change agent. His work history shows him in that role most often with various corporations. Who knows all that is needing his attention but I would guess that finding ways to reduce costs would be near the top.

Bold move, I like it.

P.S. I heard he closed the deal when he told the Regents his first order of business was to paint the Tigerhawk on the water tower.

This is a Moneyball hire. It's either going to look genius or crash and burn spectacularly.

Either that or the Regents are trolling the hell out of The U.

Think it's pretty clear that he was brought in as a change agent. His work history shows him in that role most often with various corporations. Who knows all that is needing his attention but I would guess that finding ways to reduce costs would be near the top.

Bold move, I like it.

P.S. I heard he closed the deal when he told the Regents his first order of business was to paint the Tigerhawk on the water tower.

If his primary focus is reducing costs, then he's going fail miserably. You're not going to cut your way to prosperity vis a vis a University. While increasing efficiency and synergies (I apologize for the corporate speak) are worthy and necessary goals, you're not going to improve the U by starving the beast. Austerity is the enemy of prosperity when you're trying to expand. This hire indicates to me that the U believes that it has the competitive advantages to be something bigger and better than it is now; we shall see about that. That's going to require increased revenues.

His focus should be expansion of visibility, prestige and revenues. The U of I has a monster golden goose with the UIHC and its prestigious med and law programs lend it academic credibility.

I'm glad they didn't pick the safe choice and go with some career sheltered academic. I don't think that's what's needed in this climate. But this is no slam dunk; it could go off the rails pretty quick.

Still, as someone addicted to risk, what the hell. Go for it.

I don't understand the people thinking he is going to come in and slash costs. He is not a "takeover" guy, he is a rainmaker....for lack of a better term. He helped take Boston Market from 5 stores to 1,100 stores. He grew his Kraft Foods division to over $2B. He brought revenue diversity to IBM to the tune of an additional $15B. You don't do that by slashing costs. You do that by changing the strategic visions of organizations, by introducing organization efficiency, by collaborating with partners inside and outside the organization to drive top-line growth. That's what he was hired for.

Finally, whoever thinks Rastetter, who recently gave the U of I $5M is going to settle for having the U of I turn into some sort of University of Phoenix....then you're just being dumb.

I grew up in IC, have a U of I degree, and I think the one thing that can said with certainty about this hire is this: no one has any frigging clue how this is going to turn out. NO ONE.

It's wrong for U of I profs to assume this guy is a terrible hire just because he isn't 'one of them'. They may be concerned because he comes from the corporate world, and they are likely distrustful of the corporate world (as liberal-leaning academicians most likely are), but I view their hostility as emotional immaturity that is very unbecoming to them as a group. GROW UP. Wait and see what happens. Remember that the 'health' of the U of I does not necessarily line up perfectly with what professors want from the U of I. Look at the big picture.

Finally, there is more cultural diversity in IC than there is political diversity. If you are Liberal, you probably like it that way and are against this guy. If you are Conservative, you probably feel the opposite. I am an Independent, so I'm adopting a wait and see on this one.

Agreed. People can hate the hire all they want but nobody has any idea on how things are going to work out since he doesn't even start for another 2 months.

What I find funny (and sad) is the reaction by those in the community, it was absolutely embarrassing to see how he was treated in the public forum.

Give the guy a chance and see what happens. Something one shouldn't have to say to a community that is supposed to be so open to new ideas and welcoming to all people from different walks of life. Interesting isn't it how that doesn't seem to be the case here.................

Agreed. People can hate the hire all they want but nobody has any idea on how things are going to work out since he doesn't even start for another 2 months.

What I find funny (and sad) is the reaction by those in the community, it was absolutely embarrassing to see how he was treated in the public forum.

Give the guy a chance and see what happens. Something one shouldn't have to say to a community that is supposed to be so open to new ideas and welcoming to all people from different walks of life. Interesting isn't it how that doesn't seem to be the case here.................

It's been that way on college campuses for the better part of 50 years now.

There have been some really good posts in this thread.

I realize that I don't know what the priorities are for the Regents. I suppose that they do kknow. And based on those priorities they created a framework on whom they should hire. Who am I to second guess.

That was truly disgraceful.

The guy has an admirable business record and has lectured at Harvard. Safe to say he's accomplished more than his critics.

Give him a chance.

You'll find that most organizations, whatever their proclamations, usually devolve into insulation, self-preservation and self-promotion, unless evolutionary change is forced upon them.

I serve on a few charitable boards, we are term-limited for precisely this reason.

Because you're acting like anyone who isn't OUTRAGED about this hire is some backwoods rube that can't possibly understand the workings of a modern university.

I've graduated from several of them. They aren't that interesting apart from being echo chambers for the pseudointellectual liberal worldview, and that's the real anger here. It's because he's an outsider, and therefore they can't assume that he's read the right books or disliked the right people.

Sally Mason was beloved by the faculty because (a) she was the carbon copy of the modern hyperliberal academic and (b) thought the sports program at Iowa was a nuisance rather than a feature. Anything other than (a) and (b) makes me support this hire.

For what it's worth, most of the faculty hated Sally Mason, so obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.

Most spoiled children hate people with authority over them, so no surprise the didn't like Sally either.

I believe this is the paradigm shift we were all hoping for. We will take advantage of our synergies, embrace diversity , be masters of inclusion, embrace change, develop a powerful but yet fluid mission statement, and remember who the true customers, but most important, always stick it to the little guy.

This is an interesting decision for the university, and I'm very curious to see how it will play out. I think its at least a little concerning having a businessman leading a publicly funded research institution, but I'm willing to give it an open mind. Promoting higher education through research can be very expensive and easily viewed as wasteful to some...I think there is a balance in there somewhere.

I was really encouraged to see the new prez visit with the football team already. Be it a publicity stunt or not doesn't matter to me, it at least shows he's very aware of its existence and importance

As a side note it would be great to keep politics off of a football board, but I guess that's the way of the world these days and I'm sure we've all been guilty of it at some point or another

The idea that a college president has to come from academia is somewhat unique to academia, I think. The CEO of a medical group is usually NOT a doctor. The coach of a college football team is usually NOT someone who was a successful professional football player. It stands to reason that a college president is sometimes not going to be simply a successful college professor who has transitioned into administration. Being a college professor and being a college administrator require different skill-sets.

In fact, if you look at college FB coaches, they are usually guys who played in college but barely even sniffed the NFL, or didn't even reach the NFL, or more likely who weren't even stars in college. A guy like Harbaugh with a long pro career is the exception; a guy like KF, who barely succeeded in college as a FB player, is the rule.

So why does a college president have to have been a successful tenured college professor, exactly?

The idea that a college president has to come from academia is somewhat unique to academia, I think. The CEO of a medical group is usually NOT a doctor. The coach of a college football team is usually NOT someone who was a successful professional football player. It stands to reason that a college president is sometimes not going to be simply a successful college professor who has transitioned into administration. Being a college professor and being a college administrator require different skill-sets.

In fact, if you look at college FB coaches, they are usually guys who played in college but barely even sniffed the NFL, or didn't even reach the NFL, or more likely who weren't even stars in college. A guy like Harbaugh with a long pro career is the exception; a guy like KF, who barely succeeded in college as a FB player, is the rule.

So why does a college president have to have been a successful tenured college professor, exactly?

The successful FB coach did not necessarily excel at playing football, but he almost certainly had experience playing it. I think Mike Leach is an exception, I don't think he played at any level beyond high school.

I think the primary criticism I have heard voiced is not that he has not been in the classroom (because he indeed has), but rather that he does not have experience in higher education administration. As others have pointed out, he has impressive experience in corporate administration, and there are certainly some very important, generalizable skills and experiences. But as others have pointed out, strategies for leading a for-profit entity certainly differ than those for leading a non-profit entity.

For what it is worth, I am a faculty member at The University, and the blanket characterizations of the University as a whole being one way or another are clearly over-simplifications. I have been around for over a decade, and I have seen examples of faculty entitlement and lack of accountability. I have also seen many more examples of faculty who bust their butts to help students in any way they can, going well above and beyond the "requirements" of their jobs. I have seen people with a lack of appreciation for how the private sector works, but also people who are doing everything possible to translate their research or teaching into application. I know faculty who think athletics are much too large of a priority (heck, I love sports, but sometimes things get a little ridiculous), but other faculty who are huge fans of all the Iowa teams.

As for the choice of president, I don't really know enough to tell you if it is good or bad, but I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and see where the University goes over the next 5 years. There has already been a push to focus on bottom line (student credit hours), even if it at times costs instructional integrity. This has been especially evident since the floods of 2008. If things continue in that direction, I could see many GOOD faculty fleeing The University as they are being asked to teach more and more students for the same pay, which really makes it challenging to engage students and create higher-level thinking. However, maybe he will find ways to raise The University profile through smart allocation of resources, and we will go to new heights. I will keep my fingers crossed (in my ivory tower, while loathing my white, male self, and not tolerating the views of those from outside of academia :)).

So true. If academia types (those on the left) get pizzed off, then somebody is doing something right, no pun intended.

In my experience I've found left wingers to generally be tediously annoying and right wingers to be generally intellectually deficient. You have reinforced said characterizations.

I believe this is the paradigm shift we were all hoping for. We will take advantage of our synergies, embrace diversity , be masters of inclusion, embrace change, develop a powerful but yet fluid mission statement, and remember who the true customers, but most important, always stick it to the little guy.

Well played.

Latest posts