J Bruce Harreld, new President at University of Iowa

With all due respect, I have deleted my post. I really want to talk about football and avoid political discussions. I will just wait to see how the new president performs.

I think those opposed to this might be dealing with change management fears. A common human reaction when the status quo gets disrupted. Seriously, here is a 3 minute video that might help you out. Many on this board are in phase 1 of 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBei93Nl7cg

Thanks, Hawk. Appreciate the thoughts. Just so you will know, I was in management in $20 million a year organizations for nearly 30 years and dealt pretty successfully with change during my career. The fact remains that a strong knowledge base in whatever area you operate in is very important. I went from a day to day, hands on, work experience to a CEO level, so I have seen it all. I am not negating your thoughts, just letting you know I do understand and we have no big disagreements in principal. I hope this does not smack of a political statement, since I already made that mistake earlier and deleted my long post.

Wow, they went with the IBM exec who has no college admin experience! Wonder how he will do with handling things like the athletics or if had to fire coaches or and AD? Could this potentially be a problem with no experience with that?

As opposed to an academic bureaucrat, like Sally, or Sue Coleman, who wouldn't know a football from
a&&!(!!!!! /

Good grief............Welcome Bruce! Hopefully, he has Trump on Speed dial

Anybody remember Tony Hines? Obviously the Regents have an agenda that is way bigger than academics. What is going on here is that this is not a long term appointment. He is here to advance an agenda that isn't going to be popular, probably a statewide item like splitting UI Healthcare from the U (leaving the CCOM as a university entity). Iowa Healthcare anyone? The OneIT initiative is Regent driven and now looks like it is part of a bigger plan as well. It's probably no coincidence that OneIT really doesn't include UIHC. I also think cleaning house may be on the order. Can 't fire KF directly because of the cost, but Barta can be replaced by an AD that will micro manage KF to the point where he walks on his own accord. One thing is for certain - change is coming.

If the academics and activists are angry, I'm all for this hire. Most haven't seen the real world since LBJ.

Seems to be a good amount of people on this message board that only like Iowa City/ the University of Iowa for its men's Football and Basketball programs. Apparently the faculty and the vast majority of citizens in Iowa City are just a bunch of "activist" morons... The vast majority of us who actually live in Iowa City enjoy its diversity, academics, and progressive views. Are you sure you shouldn't be fans of some other school? Nebraska isn't so far away.

Last edited:
Anybody remember Tony Hines? Obviously the Regents have an agenda that is way bigger than academics. What is going on here is that this is not a long term appointment. He is here to advance an agenda that isn't going to be popular, probably a statewide item like splitting UI Healthcare from the U (leaving the CCOM as a university entity). Iowa Healthcare anyone? The OneIT initiative is Regent driven and now looks like it is part of a bigger plan as well. It's probably no coincidence that OneIT really doesn't include UIHC. I also think cleaning house may be on the order. Can 't fire KF directly because of the cost, but Barta can be replaced by an AD that will micro manage KF to the point where he walks on his own accord. One thing is for certain - change is coming.

Exactly how I feel...I don't trust these regents for one second...so the fact they brought this guy in...and it was unanimous...The University better brace itself...winter is coming...

Seems to be a good amount of people on this message board that only like Iowa City/ the University of Iowa for its men's Football and Basketball programs. Apparently the faculty and the vast majority of citizens in Iowa City are just a bunch of "activist" morons... The vast majority of us who actually live in Iowa City enjoy its diversity, academics, and progressive views. Are you sure you shouldn't be fans of some other school? Nebraska isn't so far away.

But there isn't diversity in Iowa City. It's tolerant of everyone who agrees with them. All who disagree are mean spirited hate mongers who need to be shouted down.

My guess is that I am the proud owner of more pieces of paper that claim that I'm smart than you do.

I don't like the hire because I am in love with sports. I don't like the hire because I don't like most activist academics that claim to be the experts on everything and don't have any clue what they're talking about.

Don't forget: your school works for the state of Iowa, and not the other way around.

My guess is that I am the proud owner of more pieces of paper that claim that I'm smart than you do.

I don't like the hire because I am in love with sports. I don't like the hire because I don't like most activist academics that claim to be the experts on everything and don't have any clue what they're talking about.

Don't forget: your school works for the state of Iowa, and not the other way around.

Hahaha, are you drunk? What is this piece of paper contest that you want to engage in? I'm very confused.

Last edited:
Hahaha, are you drunk? What is this piece of paper contest that you want to engage in? I'm very confused.

Because you're acting like anyone who isn't OUTRAGED about this hire is some backwoods rube that can't possibly understand the workings of a modern university.

I've graduated from several of them. They aren't that interesting apart from being echo chambers for the pseudointellectual liberal worldview, and that's the real anger here. It's because he's an outsider, and therefore they can't assume that he's read the right books or disliked the right people.

Sally Mason was beloved by the faculty because (a) she was the carbon copy of the modern hyperliberal academic and (b) thought the sports program at Iowa was a nuisance rather than a feature. Anything other than (a) and (b) makes me support this hire.

I do like the faculty coming out and throwing down the "no confidence" option out of the gate, should he not a engage them and involve them in the decision process. Geez, I graduated a long time ago, and I actually feel sorry for students as the mechanized machinery of higher education is shaking them down on par with even the best of the Capone era.

A business man is exactly the right choice at this time. Performance based evaluation must scare the crap out of the faculty..."you mean he can actually fire us"...I don't have any confidence in this man. LOL.

There is a well-thought out post. Yes, there's an agenda underlying this hire. I'm afraid UNI and ISU will ultimately be the beneficiaries-along with Branstad/Rastetter.

Last edited:
I keep hearing "stakeholder" as applied to the faculty and employees. I think the stockholders are the people of Iowa and the Board of Regents are the board of directors. I don't believe the Regents "owe" anything to the stakeholders, especially not after watching the questioning of the new president; they are the problem. Where does this faculty entitlement come from? It is the state's university not a bunch of left-wing nutcases, they have no vote. I hope the guy cleans house, although I understand that he cannot due to tenure, there is still a lot that he can clean up.

Yes, there is a little bit of a disconnect between the academic staff/faculty and the rest of the state. Whether they like it or not, the school is funded by the taxpayers of Iowa and Board of Regents is there as an overseer, not as a rubber stamp for whatever the academics want to do. The attitude of "we know what's best, don't try to tell us how to run things. But oh, by the way, keep the money flowing in and just have no opinion," isn't going to fly any longer. It's disappointing that the faculty is already throwing things like "no-confidence vote" out there. Don't know how this is going to end, but the UI is in need of some changes. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I too live in Iowa City and am a U of I alum, it is snobs like you that make me happy that the regents selected this new president. This school represents the State, the people of this state voted time and again for Governor Branstad, elections have consequences. Progressive views such as a concern that the pink visitor locker rooms are an abomination and part of a rape culture, or a prof (Blum) that bashes the people of this state in a national publication all the while taking a salary paid for the citizens of Iowa make the regent's selection so sweet. I hope he takes out the trash.

Did you not watch the forum where the new president was shouted down by tolerant members of your community. How else would you explain it?

Sorry, meant to include a quote about how the view that the left is intolerant is not true

Last edited:
The message boards and news site comments sections in Iowa City are in a full Fukushima melt-down. The Board of Regents have won; the faculty have lost. Some VPs, directors and department heads will be looking for jobs. Will this guy tolerate a silver-haired AD who appears to invest heavily in mediocrity? Pass the popcorn.

[video=youtube;arZdeg_fL-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZdeg_fL-I[/video]

I grew up in IC, have a U of I degree, and I think the one thing that can said with certainty about this hire is this: no one has any frigging clue how this is going to turn out. NO ONE.

It's wrong for U of I profs to assume this guy is a terrible hire just because he isn't 'one of them'. They may be concerned because he comes from the corporate world, and they are likely distrustful of the corporate world (as liberal-leaning academicians most likely are), but I view their hostility as emotional immaturity that is very unbecoming to them as a group. GROW UP. Wait and see what happens. Remember that the 'health' of the U of I does not necessarily line up perfectly with what professors want from the U of I. Look at the big picture.

If you look back at some of Iowa's past presidents, some of them haven't worked out so well, and they were all academicians. Skorton seems to have been a good one. But the rest--I don't know. I think Iowa's standing in the Big Ten, and nationally, is decreasing with time. I think the Regents are concerned that it has become a school for the Chicago suburbs and not every day Iowans (hence that new funding change).

It comes down to this: if you think the direction of the U of I the past 20 years has been the right one, then you probably wanted an academician. If you think that direction has been the wrong one, you're more likely to want to try someone with a different perspective.

Finally, there is more cultural diversity in IC than there is political diversity. If you are Liberal, you probably like it that way and are against this guy. If you are Conservative, you probably feel the opposite. I am an Independent, so I'm adopting a wait and see on this one.

Latest posts