J-Bo is the most important player on this team

Baer will be missed more than anyone realizes next year. What he has been through with the winning his first season, the tough last two seasons, and now the winning again just shows how steady he has been. In his entire career he has impacted nearly every facet of the game. He has played every non-guard position, he's rebounded, he's defended the interior and perimeter, he's made alot of clutch 3's when needed, he's basically done everything he's been needed to do. Stats wise he doesn't put a dent in the record book and he isn't elite at particularly anything but his experience, leadership, and willingness to do just about anything this staff asks him to do will be sorely missed, regardless if Cook returns or not.
Fifth year seniors that are key contributors and have played in the same system for the same coach 5 years are always missed.

Baer will be missed more than anyone realizes next year. What he has been through with the winning his first season, the tough last two seasons, and now the winning again just shows how steady he has been. In his entire career he has impacted nearly every facet of the game. He has played every non-guard position, he's rebounded, he's defended the interior and perimeter, he's made alot of clutch 3's when needed, he's basically done everything he's been needed to do. Stats wise he doesn't put a dent in the record book and he isn't elite at particularly anything but his experience, leadership, and willingness to do just about anything this staff asks him to do will be sorely missed, regardless if Cook returns or not.

How about Pat McCafferey as the next Baer? Similar build, more athletic and offensively skilled.

edit: to clarify, I am talking about the role McCafferey could play on next year's team. Obviously his ceiling would be expected to be much higher, and I hope he does not top out as a very good role player and is instead an All-B1G caliber player before it is all said and done.

How about Pat McCafferey as the next Baer? Similar build, more athletic and offensively skilled.

edit: to clarify, I am talking about the role McCafferey could play on next year's team. Obviously his ceiling would be expected to be much higher, and I hope he does not top out as a very good role player and is instead an All-B1G caliber player before it is all said and done.

Definitely not a better shooter. But he can provide that sixth man defensive effort. Not as good of a shot blocker either though. There will be nunge, pemsl, a sg to give min to.

Definitely not a better shooter. But he can provide that sixth man defensive effort. Not as good of a shot blocker either though. There will be nunge, pemsl, a sg to give min to.

McCafferey currently shooting 61% overall, 45% from 3 (40 attempts) in high school. I think Baer only attempted 1 or 2 3FG his whole high school career. I don't expect McCafferey to step on campus and immediately be the 3-pt threat that Baer is right now, but he has proven he can shoot it (certainly way more than Baer had by this point).

Fun fact. JBo is on a career pace to tie Jeff Horner for career 3PM by the end of the season at minimum with a chance to be the all time leader by season's end.

2.6 career average 3PM per game * 10 (minimum games left) = 26 + 236 = 262 tied with Horner.

Fun fact. JBo is on a career pace to tie Jeff Horner for career 3PM by the end of the season at minimum with a chance to be the all time leader by season's end.

2.6 career average 3PM per game * 10 (minimum games left) = 26 + 236 = 262 tied with Horner.
So if he doesn’t go pro he gets the record next year at the latest? Is there a sarcasm emoji?

I think that is ideally what happens. Pat steps into the Baer role, in that he plays that hustle role. You aren't necessarily looking for that guy to score per say, but rather come in and get a lose ball, block a shot, get a rebound, or make a good defensive play. Just be an all around BB player really.

I think that is ideally what happens. Pat steps into the Baer role, in that he plays that hustle role. You aren't necessarily looking for that guy to score per say, but rather come in and get a lose ball, block a shot, get a rebound, or make a good defensive play. Just be an all around BB player really.

I think people may be underestimating CJ Fredrick for potentially being a spark plug off the bench type of player next season. Obviously they play different positions and I'm not saying he'll play more than Pat; just that people are kind of forgetting about him at this point.

I think people may be underestimating CJ Fredrick for potentially being a spark plug off the bench type of player next season. Obviously they play different positions and I'm not saying he'll play more than Pat; just that people are kind of forgetting about him at this point.
What is nice about this team is that the most important player changes from game to game.

One game it may be , JB, Garza, Wieskamp, Cook, Moss, and MVP fill ins Kriener and Bear.

Of the RS players (Pemsl, Frederick, Nunge), who do you see having the biggest impact next year? (let's work under the assumption Cook returns)

Of the RS players (Pemsl, Frederick, Nunge), who do you see having the biggest impact next year? (let's work under the assumption Cook returns)
If Cook returns I’m not sure we really need any of them to make an impact. Wieskamp, Moss, Dailey, and Cmac can easily absorb Baer’s minutes. I like Nunge the best of those three but with Cook back not sure how many minutes he would get. (I don’t think Cook is coming back).

Without Cook I think Nunge would actually start at the 4 position.

One thing that really scares me for next year is Fran trying to get minutes for all those guys plus Pmac and Joe T. The shorter rotation with a defined bench seems so much better this year, I would hate to go back to a 10+ man rotation.

That's an excellent question. If Cook doesn't return I say Nunge without hesitation. I think he has the skill set and potential to be a very good stretch 4/5 type of player similar to Kaminsky. IMO he would be the starter at the 4 next year if Cook were to leave.

Now if Cook were to return it becomes extremely muddy (assuming nobody else but Baer is gone). That opens up only about 20 minutes per game while adding the 3 RS players, Pat, and Joe T. Do Pat or Joe T RS? I guess I'd still go with Nunge as I wouldn't be shocked if Kriener's and Dailey's minutes both go down next season and I like his chances of receiving minutes vs the other two.

Latest posts