It's the coaching

Bad throw, but NIU was being aggressive... pump and go.

Iowa got fried on the same pattern twice for TD's either the players can't execute or coaches aren't teaching...probably both.

Either way no reason to lose the game today. The game plan continues to be boggling.

Hindenburg-disaster.jpg

I thought the Hindenberg happened once but it has NOW happened 2 years in a row with Iowa at home to a MAC team. Ferentz needs to refund the U some of his salary for being such a schmuck.

sad thing is that we are losing that respect that we even used to have in our own state... let alone nationally.

People snicker at the Iowa program now - and then we complain and we are cry baby fans.

It's pretty much win win all around at the moment.

Bad throw, but NIU was being aggressive... pump and go.

Iowa got fried on the same pattern twice for TD's either the players can't execute or coaches aren't teaching...probably both.

Either way no reason to lose the game today. The game plan continues to be boggling.
Agreed. The offense left several plays on the field. The O-line needs to hold their blocks better in the red zone. The defense backfield is a mess. the D-line gets no pressure - but they were in rush containment against Lynch all game.

How was the game plan boggling?

the only good thing is that I'm pretty used to this now so It's only a vague since of dread instead of a sharp knife of anguish.

Pretty much getting used to it.
I'm getting there as well. Losing is just the new normal around here, so it doesn't hurt quite as much. My bad heart used to speed up at the end of all these close games. It's not so much of a problem anymore, cuz I pretty much know what to expect.

Seriously??? DBs blow two plays on coverage and the QB makes a very bad pass...yes, there was more to the game than these plays, but these three plays were the difference in the game. How do you blame the coaching staff for this? I guess you could say better preparation might have made the difference needed to prevent one, two, or maybe all three, but that is a stretch. This team showed me some things that still has be excited for the year and I am looking forward to that beginning next week...

Seriously??? DBs blow two plays on coverage and the QB makes a very bad pass...yes, there was more to the game than these plays, but these three plays were the difference in the game. How do you blame the coaching staff for this? I guess you could say better preparation might have made the difference needed to prevent one, two, or maybe all three, but that is a stretch. This team showed me some things that still has be excited for the year and I am looking forward to that beginning next week...

Plus Bullock dropped what was a HUGE 3rd down screen pass that would have at least been a first down . The blockers were in place for that to be a huge play. That's the one play I keep looking back to. The fake punt and the interception were huge as well, but people seem to forget the dropped passes.

Everyone jumps on the coaching. The fake punt conversion was absolutely a coaching mistake. One that I'm really freaking tired of seeing. The interception, the dropped pass by Bullock, and the fumble by Weisman ended up being the biggest difference in the game.

It was more to blame on lack of execution than it was on the coaching in my opinion. I'm not trying to take away blame from the coaching staff whatsoever, but they put these players in the position to win today. This was a different team than what we saw a year ago.

Last edited:

So it is the players fault that they only scored 3 points in the second half? I would characterize it as ****-poor 2nd half planning and adjustments. That NIU defense is among the poorest that we will face this year.

The team looked improved in just about every position. They'll fix the little things this week and win the next 5.

Agreed. The offense left several plays on the field. The O-line needs to hold their blocks better in the red zone. The defense backfield is a mess. the D-line gets no pressure - but they were in rush containment against Lynch all game.

How was the game plan boggling?

How many 3rd and shorts did Iowa pass? Man up and run the ball.

So it is the players fault that they only scored 3 points in the second half? I would characterize it as ****-poor 2nd half planning and adjustments. That NIU defense is among the poorest that we will face this year.

in what way? they tackled well, they pressured the QB, and forced 2 turnovers....

Simply because it happens time-and-time again!

Very bad throw.

NIU was testing this route coverage in 2nd-3rd q's. They were going to jump this sometime in the 4th quarter.

Very bad throw but you simply don't call that play in that situation. The game was tied.

The upside was modest, the downside is you lose the game. It wasn't even a good "let's be aggressive" call - throw long and a pickoff probably sends you to OT. The math here was simple, and they failed the test.

Last edited:
in what way? they tackled well, they pressured the QB, and forced 2 turnovers....

If you watched the game you could probably pinpoint the play and the second that old Conservative Kirk rolled into Kinick and took over what had been a pretty good offensive attack in the second quarter.

Again, he played to not lose, not too win. How many times have we seen him do that in close games, only to come back and bite him in the butt? That's on the coach, not the players.

One can only imagine how it impresses recruits ... and commits. Ross P just has to be looking in the rear view mirror and smiling.

If you watched the game you could probably pinpoint the play and the second that old Conservative Kirk rolled into Kinick and took over what had been a pretty good offensive attack in the second quarter.

Again, he played to not lose, not too win. How many times have we seen him do that in close games, only to come back and bite him in the butt? That's on the coach, not the players.

One can only imagine how it impresses recruits ... and commits. Ross P just has to be looking in the rear view mirror and smiling.
Wow, this is a really stupid post.

In what way? Seriously?

I don't want to take anything away from them, but that was a MAC defense with only 2 returning starters in their front 7 (1 DL, 1 LB - 5 returning starters overall) from a defense that was pretty so-so last year. They have either the lightest, or second lightest d-line that we will face all year. Even their fans pretty much expect that their defense won't be very good this year.

They did not really tackle all that well. Remember Wiesman running through arm tackles and carrying tacklers for extra yards in the first half? Remember our offense piling up yards (and even some points) in the second quarter?

And yes, they did pressure the QB and force turnovers. That's exactly the problem. If this is our effort against them, what do you expect to happen against the bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, more experienced teams that we have yet to play?

Exactly, it wasn't like they didn't try. I saw hustle and improvement and that's all I can ask for. I was just upset that everyone didn't get to play and some sat on the bench all day...how do you think they feel??

Very bad throw but you simply don't call that play in that situation. The game was tied.

The upside was modest, the downside is you lose the game. It wasn't even a good "let's be aggressive" call - throw long and a pickoff probably sends you to OT. The math here was simple, and they failed the test.

This is spot on. Wrong play call.

Latest posts