It's All About the Guard Play

It's all about confidence when it comes to shooting. When Mike G is looking over his shoulder at the bench when he is shooting, he is not going to make it.

Oglesby isn't going to find his shot because he's never had it. He's been a consistently poor shooter for 4 years now so I think it's time to say he's a poor in game shooter. Gesell is below average but Clemmons absolutely kills this team at the two guard. You need a shooter/scorer there and he is possibly the worst offensive player that gets meaningful minutes. I'm not saying he can't fill a role on this team but that role shouldn't include starting or heavy minutes. I don't see an answer this year; conference play will be a struggle to hit .500.

This post is absolutely right on the money, especially the comments about Oglesby and Clemmons.

There is no shuffling of guards that is going to make this work.

Jok might be the worst defender in college basketball on any level men's or women's and Clemons is just absolutely worthless on offense and belongs at a lower level.

Ogelsby is a shooter that can't shoot And Ellingson looks like a walkon.

Dickerson is the only one I can see getting better but he looks in over his head at this point.

Gessel is our best option and that's not gona cut it.

Ellingson looks like a freshman but he has a pretty smooth stroke. I hope he gets more minutes once he gets in better shape. I'm sure coming off of a broken foot has hampered his conditioning and such.

I think it was 5 turnovers in 6 possessions. Yea if that didn't happen it would have been anyones game. That's why I'm not as down as some people because I understand how things can snowball and make it worse than it should have been.

"You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand." - Shane Falco.

It's all about confidence when it comes to shooting. When Mike G is looking over his shoulder at the bench when he is shooting, he is not going to make it.

Mike has to worry less about someone taking his spot than most D1 players.

There is no shuffling of guards that is going to make this work.

Jok might be the worst defender in college basketball on any level men's or women's and Clemons is just absolutely worthless on offense and belongs at a lower level.

Ogelsby is a shooter that can't shoot And Ellingson looks like a walkon.

Dickerson is the only one I can see getting better but he looks in over his head at this point.

Gessel is our best option and that's not gona cut it.

Gesell is pretty athletic from what I've seen. Dickerson was the supposedly the top junior college point guard in college basketball. Oglesby was recruited by Illinois. I'm starting to think it might not be the players fault. I hate the idea of knocking a player when the fault is somewhere else. I wonder how good Oglesby, Jok, Gesell, and Clemmons would be playing on another team.

Well, Paige has over 1000 points by himself so far. Clemmons and Gesell combined have 930. UNC hasn't been that great last 3-4 years, Paige really the only player who gets attention. Crazy if you think he wouldn't help us a ton.

Just because Paige was a pre-season 1st team all American, and preseason pick for ACC POY does not mean he could play for the mighty Hawks.

Gesell is pretty athletic from what I've seen. Dickerson was the supposedly the top junior college point guard in college basketball. Oglesby was recruited by Illinois. I'm starting to think it might not be the players fault. I hate the idea of knocking a player when the fault is somewhere else. I wonder how good Oglesby, Jok, Gesell, and Clemmons would be playing on another team.

Olglesby would fit right in at Simpson. Could probably start there.

In the 6 minute stretch at the end of the 1st half and the beginning of the 2nd, we were outscored by 24 points. Ellingson was not in the game for any of that and I'm not 100 percent sure but Jok might not have been either. The other 34 minutes of the game we outscored them by 9.

And an Iowa State fan will say we outscored Iowa by 24 in the first 27 minutes and Iowa out scored us by 9 in the final 13 minutes as we coasted to the finish line.

I think it was 5 turnovers in 6 possessions. Yea if that didn't happen it would have been anyones game. That's why I'm not as down as some people because I understand how things can snowball and make it worse than it should have been.

What?! And if my aunt had a .........

And an Iowa State fan will say we outscored Iowa by 24 in the first 27 minutes and Iowa out scored us by 9 in the final 13 minutes as we coasted to the finish line.

How does that have anything to do with Jok and Ellingson's defense? Cause that's what my post was discussing.

In addressing the offense of the guards when was the last time Iowa made three or more consecutive 3 point shots? I believe ISU did in the second half, they were 10 of 14 at one point. There was a time against ISU where Iowa started to make a run around the 7 minute mark of the second half. Iowa had cut the lead to 14 and had possession of the ball and the crowd was into it. Ogleby took a shot from the corner that didn't come close to going in and ISU comes down and makes a quick score and Iowa goes down by 16; game, match, set. He hadn't made a basket all night and he takes the shot. No attempt to push the ball into Woodbury that might draw a foul or a chance to kick the ball out for a better shot. I've watched a lot of games where teams have come back after being down 20 points.

We do not need to do that. That team can't dribble the basketball. We'd look a like a 6th grade girls basketball team that just passes the ball without dribbling until someone shoots an overhead shot.

Love your response...little over reaction maybe. :confused:You look at our roster...we have no one that can shoot the ball. Your going to tell me that Mike cannot dribble have you seen a game this year???? Our best chance of winning is getting out in transition and that team can run the floor. We also become a 3 headed monster inside. Last time I check Adam, and Gabe may be our best shooters from 12' in.

Latest posts