It's All About the Guard Play

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I don't want this to turn into ripping on one player. In the end, it's the responsibility of the coaches to put together a roster.

We all knew this before the year, that this team would go as far as their guards could be consistent. 1/3 of the way into the year, I'd say so far the biggest fears have been realized....this team will struggle at guard all year. That's a collective thing and it's a recruiting thing.

Sure, if Tyler Ulis were on this team, it would be entirely different...but he's not. Iowa also doesn't have game shooters. They don't have a group that can make a defense play them honest and stretch the floor, which would allow their talented front court more space.

Iowa basketball is similar to Iowa football with Weisman dotting the I...the offense is compressed...and it's just not going to change this year.

There will be nights when Iowa is firing and they will beat someone they shouldn't beat, but this team is a .500 team in the B1G at best because they will be inconsistent due to their lack of outside shooting and point guard play.

This team is missing two players...not specific players, but two kinds of players...a night in night out shooter and a point guard who can penetrate AND finish.

Two players doesn't sound like a lot, but it's the difference this year between 7-11 in the Big Ten or 12-6 or better. That is basketball, but it's not 'that's basketball'

That comes down to recruiting and Iowa put its eggs in the Ulis basket and the basket broke, unfortunately.

Then Fran needs to find other ways to get playmakers on this team. He's had 5 years to do that. You have over 600 transfers to pick from. Maybe that's harder to do at Iowa than ISU because of transfer requirements and why we have rarely seen Fran utilize it. Year 5 and we have no playmakers or shooters. All Fran's guys now.

Jok needs to start at the 2. Clemmons going 1-7 every competitive game doesn't work. The 2 guard, who is usually the scorer cant have 2 points to have a team win. Especially in the big ten. Idc about joks defensive flaws cuz he's our best threat to score and thats what we need. Hell, id zone most teams in the big ten anyway and make them shoot. Isu, you cant do that. Clemmons can back up mike at the 1. Mike needs to make his open looks tho. I hope Josh can find his rythm along with Uthoff. Oges just needs to relax and find his confidence. Uthoff needs to hit shots to make up for the lack of guard scoring. I feel like he's the x factor and needs to be more apart of the offense. Hes got the best all around game on the team. Itd be nice if white could hit too somewhat. The potential is there.

Agree.

That's why Dickerson was brought in as a 'Ulis-Light'. To challenge at the point and provide the quickness off of the bounce we do not have. In very limited time, he is making mistakes adjusting to D-1 ball but I would argue that we did not put him on the floor enough to work through those issues and we are paying for it. If he does not play, then we wasted a scholly that could have gone elsewhere.

I also think Jok needs to start and play a lot of minutes at the 2 guard to give us a potential legitimate shooter and scorer. Then play Clemmons, Dickerson or Gesell at the point. One of those 3 has to be the odd man out - sorry that is the way it goes. I would give Ellenson the spot minutes at the 2 guard with the role of being a 3 point shooter.

JD I agree with your thoughts about the guards and a lot of bad recruiting that has created some poor talent. However this one is on Fran. ISU put 90 on the board at Carver tonight. It was one of the worst defensive game plans I have ever seen and Fran made no corrections. Besides that he basically took the night off on coaching.

Terrible job by the staff tonight. Awful.

I stated on a thread just before the season started that if a player or two elevated their play and one became our go to guy then we could be very good. I further stated that if that did not happen it could be a very long season. I also said before the season started that I thought Jok and Woody would be the key to our season. Woody is playing better this year and looks more aggressive. He and Gabe should be adequate at those positions.

I knew we would need a go to guard that was quick, athletic and a threat to score. I see Jok as the only guard on this team with that potential. I would give him and Dickerson most of the minutes regardless of the mistakes they make. They both have that explosive element that the guards in the B1G need to have. Yes they both make mistakes but with experience those mistakes should be less frequent. I would play them both at he same time. Dickerson at point and Jok at the shooting guard position.

I agree with Jon that we at this point are looking at a .500 season in the B1G. So let's try to develop the best players we have that at least have shown some raw talent that indicates the potential to be very good players. Unfortunately for White his senior season may be a developmental year for the team and set them up for next season. Gesell could be the backup for Jok and Clemmons could back up Dickerson. What other choices do we have at this point? Just my two cents worth.

That was men playing boys last night, especially in the second half. Across the rotation, there was not one position where Iowa had the superior talent. Not one.

That's on Fran and poor recruiting. I'm tired of Iowa fans getting smoke blown up their collective *ss about the supposed high talent level of incoming players. With perhaps the exception of Gabe, it's just not there.

We saw the same against Alcorn, but you hope it was an anomaly. Unfortunately if Iowa were to hit shots from the perimeter that would be the anomaly.

Jok needs to start at the 2. Clemmons going 1-7 every competitive game doesn't work. The 2 guard, who is usually the scorer cant have 2 points to have a team win. Especially in the big ten. Idc about joks defensive flaws cuz he's our best threat to score and thats what we need. Hell, id zone most teams in the big ten anyway and make them shoot. Isu, you cant do that. Clemmons can back up mike at the 1. Mike needs to make his open looks tho. I hope Josh can find his rythm along with Uthoff. Oges just needs to relax and find his confidence. Uthoff needs to hit shots to make up for the lack of guard scoring. I feel like he's the x factor and needs to be more apart of the offense. Hes got the best all around game on the team. Itd be nice if white could hit too somewhat. The potential is there.

Josh Oglesby should be playing Division III Basketball. We have been waiting four years for him to start making shots. When you have his "lack of athleticism" You damn well better be able to shoot lights out to justify any court time. He does not and has not, save a game or two. Senior or not, he needs to sit.
Iowa seems to be suffering from a severe case of "lack of athleticism". Read anything into that you want.

That was men playing boys last night, especially in the second half. Across the rotation, there was not one position where Iowa had the superior talent. Not one.

That's on Fran and poor recruiting. I'm tired of Iowa fans getting smoke blown up their collective *ss about the supposed high talent level of incoming players. With perhaps the exception of Gabe, it's just not there.

Agreed! More alarming than our poor shooting, which will be an issue all year, was the huge gap in talent/athleticism. Fran and his staff have done a horrible job of recruiting the type of athlete necessary to play at ISU's level!

At least one of these guards that can shoot also needs to be athletic....meaning that they must be able to maintain balance when crossing over court logos....they need athletic forwards who slash to the basket....they need big guys that don't have frames that like 15 years old's....they need a coach who can recruit. Other than that, everything looks pretty rosy to me.

Oglesby isn't going to find his shot because he's never had it. He's been a consistently poor shooter for 4 years now so I think it's time to say he's a poor in game shooter. Gesell is below average but Clemmons absolutely kills this team at the two guard. You need a shooter/scorer there and he is possibly the worst offensive player that gets meaningful minutes. I'm not saying he can't fill a role on this team but that role shouldn't include starting or heavy minutes. I don't see an answer this year; conference play will be a struggle to hit .500.

I think you have to go big...play one guard, Clemmons or Gesell, and play Uhl at the two. If you have a lineup of Gesell, White, Uhl, Uthoff, and Woody/Olesani...you are long lean and you have enough ball handlers. Uthoff and Uhl can bring the ball up against pressure too.

We play a match zone with length on the outside (think Syracuse)...and size everywhere. I get wanting to play Jok more too and I agree...but if you have issues at guard you need to figure out a way to have less of them on the floor. Our three game wouldn't suffer as Uhl and Uthoff can hit the three, but we would be very tough if we played the big zone and hit the offensive glass.

Uhl and Jok need to play more and get a year of significant development. Uhl can shoot the three...he missed last night...but the stroke is there...plus he brings some length and he's got a good drive game. He just needs to play at this level.

Oglesby isn't going to find his shot because he's never had it. He's been a consistently poor shooter for 4 years now so I think it's time to say he's a poor in game shooter. Gesell is below average but Clemmons absolutely kills this team at the two guard. You need a shooter/scorer there and he is possibly the worst offensive player that gets meaningful minutes. I'm not saying he can't fill a role on this team but that role shouldn't include starting or heavy minutes. I don't see an answer this year; conference play will be a struggle to hit .500.

But Josh really hits them in practice...can we count those? I'm really tired of Fran saying that. Fran, that means he's not a gamer and it means you shouldn't be playing him as much as you are.

I think you have to go big...play one guard, Clemmons or Gesell, and play Uhl at the two. If you have a lineup of Gesell, White, Uhl, Uthoff, and Woody/Olesani...you are long lean and you have enough ball handlers. Uthoff and Uhl can bring the ball up against pressure too.

We play a match zone with length on the outside (think Syracuse)...and size everywhere. I get wanting to play Jok more too and I agree...but if you have issues at guard you need to figure out a way to have less of them on the floor. Our three game wouldn't suffer as Uhl and Uthoff can hit the three, but we would be very tough if we played the big zone and hit the offensive glass.

Uhl and Jok need to play more and get a year of significant development. Uhl can shoot the three...he missed last night...but the stroke is there...plus he brings some length and he's got a good drive game. He just needs to play at this level.

Thats a terrible idea offensively. We need to score. Uhl isnt gonna score at 2 and he hasnt proven to anybody if he can even score at all. Idk how youve gotten that Uhl can shoot either. Hasnt made a 3 in a game yet i dont think. Jok needs to start at the 2. End of story. He's the only threat at 2 we have. Clemmons backs up Gesell at the 1.

JD I agree with your thoughts about the guards and a lot of bad recruiting that has created some poor talent. However this one is on Fran. ISU put 90 on the board at Carver tonight. It was one of the worst defensive game plans I have ever seen and Fran made no corrections. Besides that he basically took the night off on coaching.

Terrible job by the staff tonight. Awful.

What Was the defensive game plan?

Thats a terrible idea offensively. We need to score. Uhl isnt gonna score at 2 and he hasnt proven to anybody if he can even score at all. Idk how youve gotten that Uhl can shoot either. Hasnt made a 3 in a game yet i dont think. Jok needs to start at the 2. End of story. He's the only threat at 2 we have. Clemmons backs up Gesell at the 1.

Ummm...we don't shoot the ball well. So how do you score when you don't shoot the ball well from the outside. Transition and offensive rebounding, that's how. Jok isn't a rebounder and especially isn't an offensive rebounder. Uhl has length and hops...and a knack for being around the ball. As for Uhl's shooting ability...he hasn't had the opportunities...but playing him speeds his development. I see a player with huge upside...and he needs to be on the floor and getting the experience he needs.

I agree, Jok should get more of Clemmons minutes...but he's terrible on defense...not bad, terrible right now. Guards blow by him repeatedly and it's a serious flaw in his game. What good is it that he can score if he can't defend and is the weak link on defense. You can protect him in a zone...that's all.

I'm saying Dom Uhl is a guy that will show rapid development and can help this team offensively and athletically. He needs to play. He's going to have some rough, rough moments, but by the end of the B10 season...I think you will see a much different player. He just needs experience.

I agree Jok needs to play. But I don't think it is going to help that much. Jok still is not a high end athlete and is more jump shooter than dribble drive.

We need multiple players that can threaten off the dribble, including wing players. Gessell is our most threatening dribble drive guy and that is a problem.

Ummm...we don't shoot the ball well. So how do you score when you don't shoot the ball well from the outside. Transition and offensive rebounding, that's how. Jok isn't a rebounder and especially isn't an offensive rebounder. Uhl has length and hops...and a knack for being around the ball. As for Uhl's shooting ability...he hasn't had the opportunities...but playing him speeds his development. I see a player with huge upside...and he needs to be on the floor and getting the experience he needs.

I agree, Jok should get more of Clemmons minutes...but he's terrible on defense...not bad, terrible right now. Guards blow by him repeatedly and it's a serious flaw in his game. What good is it that he can score if he can't defend and is the weak link on defense. You can protect him in a zone...that's all.

I'm saying Dom Uhl is a guy that will show rapid development and can help this team offensively and athletically. He needs to play. He's going to have some rough, rough moments, but by the end of the B10 season...I think you will see a much different player. He just needs experience.

There is no player development on this team. Coaches have done a terrible job with it. I like Uhl and his potential but these coaches wont develop him.