It's All About the Guard Play

ISU isn't a team that would be catagorized as "athletic"

they're not bad athletes but as far as college players go they're average or below (Niang) outside of Houge and BDJ.

theyre certainly good talented players though.

Only athlete I saw on the floor last night for ISU was Houge.

that was the furthest thing away from why we lost.

UNC is ten times more athletic than ISU.

it comes down to shooting and ISU is really good at it and Iowa is really bad at it.

This post is spot on...

ISU isn't that athletic... Morris is a decent athlete and Hogue is a decent athlete but that's it...

The problem with Iowa's team is pure and simple.

They can't shoot from the outside which leads to all kind of problems.

Ummm...we don't shoot the ball well. So how do you score when you don't shoot the ball well from the outside. Transition and offensive rebounding, that's how. Jok isn't a rebounder and especially isn't an offensive rebounder. Uhl has length and hops...and a knack for being around the ball. As for Uhl's shooting ability...he hasn't had the opportunities...but playing him speeds his development. I see a player with huge upside...and he needs to be on the floor and getting the experience he needs.

I agree, Jok should get more of Clemmons minutes...but he's terrible on defense...not bad, terrible right now. Guards blow by him repeatedly and it's a serious flaw in his game. What good is it that he can score if he can't defend and is the weak link on defense. You can protect him in a zone...that's all.

I'm saying Dom Uhl is a guy that will show rapid development and can help this team offensively and athletically. He needs to play. He's going to have some rough, rough moments, but by the end of the B10 season...I think you will see a much different player. He just needs experience.

I agree. Also, the part about Jok's defense... there was someone here who was complaining that ISU hung 90 on us in our house. That poster also complained that we needed to score more. I wonder if that poster actually saw that Jok played more in the second half (Ellingson played as well) and THAT is the half that killed us. Jok's defense is so bad that we can't even hide him while playing zone defense.

We were only down 5 at half. Granted, they hit a momentum builder going into halftime, but it was only 5 points. We began playing that we were down 20 and had to shoot our way back into the game but what we really needed to do was clamp down on defense more. By trying to shoot our way back into the game, we played right into ISU's game.

There is no shuffling of guards that is going to make this work.

Jok might be the worst defender in college basketball on any level men's or women's and Clemons is just absolutely worthless on offense and belongs at a lower level.

Ogelsby is a shooter that can't shoot And Ellingson looks like a walkon.

Dickerson is the only one I can see getting better but he looks in over his head at this point.

Gessel is our best option and that's not gona cut it.

I think this pretty much sums it up perfectly!

I agree. Also, the part about Jok's defense... there was someone here who was complaining that ISU hung 90 on us in our house. That poster also complained that we needed to score more. I wonder if that poster actually saw that Jok played more in the second half (Ellingson played as well) and THAT is the half that killed us. Jok's defense is so bad that we can't even hide him while playing zone defense.

We were only down 5 at half. Granted, they hit a momentum builder going into halftime, but it was only 5 points. We began playing that we were down 20 and had to shoot our way back into the game but what we really needed to do was clamp down on defense more. By trying to shoot our way back into the game, we played right into ISU's game.

In the 6 minute stretch at the end of the 1st half and the beginning of the 2nd, we were outscored by 24 points. Ellingson was not in the game for any of that and I'm not 100 percent sure but Jok might not have been either. The other 34 minutes of the game we outscored them by 9.

In the 6 minute stretch at the end of the 1st half and the beginning of the 2nd, we were outscored by 24 points. Ellingson was not in the game for any of that and I'm not 100 percent sure but Jok might not have been either. The other 34 minutes of the game we outscored them by 9.

That stretch of like 5 or 6 turnovers in a row was what lost the game.

I was curious so I checked the dvr. Jok was in on the last 5 points on the first half. He could have played better help defense on the one field goal but the 3 obviously wasn't his fault. He was in the game for the final 10 points of the 26-2 run. He had bad help defense for 2 of the points and played terrible defense on a 3 pointer. All in all he was directly responsible for 3 points and could have done better to prevent 4 points. The other 19 points had nothing to do with him. This doesn't really help my argument that much becuse he didn't look very good but when he's only directly responsible for 3 of the 26 points and partly responsible for 4 of them, it's not like you can say his defense cost us.

That stretch of like 5 or 6 turnovers in a row was what lost the game.

I think it was 5 turnovers in 6 possessions. Yea if that didn't happen it would have been anyones game. That's why I'm not as down as some people because I understand how things can snowball and make it worse than it should have been.

I do think not being able to see shots go down is taking its toll mentally on some of these guys , especially with the way last year went.

Then Fran needs to find other ways to get playmakers on this team. He's had 5 years to do that. You have over 600 transfers to pick from. Maybe that's harder to do at Iowa than ISU because of transfer requirements and why we have rarely seen Fran utilize it. Year 5 and we have no playmakers or shooters. All Fran's guys now.

Hes tried to he just doesn't land them.

I really think Clemmons and Gesell should just sit and spell others. Mike can't finish a drive, when he does get fouled he can't make a free throw, he sure as heck can't shoot a 3 so he's rendered nothing more than a ball handler. Clemmons isn't a whole lot better in my opinion. So why don't we allow TD to see some manful minutes and see if he can't work out his kinks. Like Mike, Josh O might as well keep that pull over on the entire game. If you haven't found your shot on the court in 3 and a half years your probably not gonna find it ever. These guys are taking minutes that should be given to the Uhls, Jok's, and Td's of the world. What do we have to lose? Think about it, Mike's lone breakout game withstanding, what does Mike give us point wise that TD can't? Less t/o, well if TD dribbles and drives and makes his free trows and bury's an occasional 3 isn't that better than Mike clanking 4 three's a game? TD might not be the answer but until he gets more valuable minutes we will never know. I know in high school I'd get sent in the game with 4 mins to go in the half and it's not easy to just walk into a game and start running up the floor and feel great about a shot considering you haven't shot the ball since warm ups. That's what TD and others face.

We need to start Mike, Uthoff, White, Olesani, and Woodbury

We do not need to do that. That team can't dribble the basketball. We'd look a like a 6th grade girls basketball team that just passes the ball without dribbling until someone shoots an overhead shot.

1. Uhl cannot play the 2 position.
2. Dickerson as the starting PG (majority of minutes) is the worst idea I've ever heard.
3. Gesell need to play 30 minutes minimum.
4. Bottom line, they need to start hitting shots.

I can agree that something has to change. But you can't say something ridiculous like Uhl should play the 2, or Dickerson should be the PG. I'm fine with Jok getting more minutes at the 2, offensively he's earned them. I'm fine with Uhl playing more minutes, but the 2?? LOL!! The biggest change is someone (or more) needs to step up and start hitting shots.

1. Uhl cannot play the 2 position.
2. Dickerson as the starting PG (majority of minutes) is the worst idea I've ever heard.
3. Gesell need to play 30 minutes minimum.
4. Bottom line, they need to start hitting shots.

I can agree that something has to change. But you can't say something ridiculous like Uhl should play the 2, or Dickerson should be the PG. I'm fine with Jok getting more minutes at the 2, offensively he's earned them. I'm fine with Uhl playing more minutes, but the 2?? LOL!! The biggest change is someone (or more) needs to step up and start hitting shots.

Well we already know Mike ain't hitting those shots nor is JO so you want to keep feeding them minutes? A missed shot is not much better than a turnover right now and we need someone to knock that shot down. Why not allow TD the opportunity to run the show a couple games and see what happens? I would say take Mike and Josh's missed shots which amount to about 9 missed shots a game and those essentially become turnovers (cause they can't hit an open jumper much less one with someone on em). Trey's 4 turnovers a game still make up for those guys missed efforts. Why not try and develop these young guys for next year now cause we aren't going anywhere meaningful in the tournament not being able to knock down an occasional 3.

Well we already know Mike ain't hitting those shots nor is JO so you want to keep feeding them minutes? A missed shot is not much better than a turnover right now and we need someone to knock that shot down. Why not allow TD the opportunity to run the show a couple games and see what happens? I would say take Mike and Josh's missed shots which amount to about 9 missed shots a game and those essentially become turnovers (cause they can't hit an open jumper much less one with someone on em). Trey's 4 turnovers a game still make up for those guys missed efforts. Why not try and develop these young guys for next year now cause we aren't going anywhere meaningful in the tournament not being able to knock down an occasional 3.

That is an interesting analysis there. A missed 3 is worse than a turnover?... huh, guess I learn something new every day.

Guess you're in the camp of "Hey we lost to Iowa State, we should tank this year and get ready for next year!"

I saw Paige against Iowa. I don't think Paige would be the answer, either, for Iowa. Iowa needs a 'real point guard' and not a 2 converted into a point who shoots the ball over everyone else... IOW, another RDM.

Well, Paige has over 1000 points by himself so far. Clemmons and Gesell combined have 930. UNC hasn't been that great last 3-4 years, Paige really the only player who gets attention. Crazy if you think he wouldn't help us a ton.

Latest posts