It feels over...

SpiderRico

I don't care how many years are left on the contract, the Kirk Ferentz Era feels like it's theoretically over...whether or not it's officiallly over.

The lack of preparation, the comedy of errors, the complete lack of fundamentals, the complete lack of a cohesive gameplan on either side of the ball....it all came home to roost in one game. KF getting run over and knocked off his feet seems a perfect metaphor for the era being over.

This has the exact same feeling for me as 1997 did. A season with promise coming to a rude conclusion in a bowl game domination...a coach trying to hang on when it was obvious to all outside observers that the game had passed him by. KF may not necessarily be at the point HF was by calling plays that no longer existed or calling for players on the bench who'd been graduated for over a decade....but you could tell in both instances that the end had arrived.

And like with HF, I really wished it had ended differently...but as someone famous once said....all things end badly, otherwise they wouldn't end. I just wish KF had the sense to get out now before it gets so bad that he completely tarnishes every bit of goodwill he built up by winning 2 B1G titles, 4 top 10 finishes, a BCS bowl win and several memorable victories....but like most coaches, he's too stubborn....so all we're left with are memories of past successes and the unenviable task of watching the train wreck as it unfolds over the next couple of years. Both he AND the fanbase deserve better....unfortunately, we've all seen this movie before and know exactly how it ends.

Badly.

There were two big boosters who told Gary Barta at the end of last season if he's ready to fire Ferentz, that they would cover the buyout. All Barta has to do is make the call.

It could be over but would Barta really do it?

It is over. It will take making it to consecutive B1G title games and winning at least 1 for kfootball to win back the fans. It is over. kfootball just might negotiate a smaller buyout, at this point. He needs to know he's becoming persona non grata.

Well, this does look like a guy you want coaching your football team......

....but looks can be deceiving.

usa-today-8308014.0.jpg

After the Nebraska game I thought if Kirk announced his retirement and they put everything they had into this bowl game, everything would have been forgiven legacy-wise and he would remain a Hawkeye hero forever.

Now, it feels like some of that tarnish is permanent. 1) He's carried himself like a snarky d-bag to fans and the media all season, and 2) he just looked totally incompetent in his coaching duties.

With the negativity surrounding this program I just don't see any possible pathway to Kirk getting his mojo back and leading another great team. That means, best case scenario for this to play out is middling performances that wouldn't leave the program in dire straights for the next regime.

Worst case is that the bottom drops out and we take decades to recover.

You couldn't be more right Spider. I have been over Kirk since 2010, but it seems like the rest of the fanbase is now over him as well. It feels a lot like the end of Mr. Davis's Era too.
I don't know what it is with Iowa programs but we hold onto to the coaches for so long due to past results that they end up becoming villains at the end of their tenure and basically get forced out.
I'm not sure KF has the gonads to go thru another season like this. Let's face it, Barta is not gonna fire him and KF is not gonna make it to 2020 either. He is gonna retire, the real question is when. He should do it now, but he will try and hang on for a couple more years but I think he will retire after another disappointing season next year. And with the recent lackluster recruiting, the cupboard will be left pretty bare for whoever the next coach is.
It's obvious to me Kf knows his tenure is coming to an end.

There were two big boosters who told Gary Barta at the end of last season if he's ready to fire Ferentz, that they would cover the buyout. All Barta has to do is make the call.

Do you think GB is the right guy to hire the next Iowa coach? I don't.

Kirk didn't sound like it in the post-game interview with Dolphin. He was talking about getting ready for next season and said he only really felt bad for the seniors. To me he didn't sound like a coach who had any idea that the walls were closing in on him.

Now I am more concerned on "how" Iowa does the coaching change, not if or when, but How they do it. A succession plan with a "coach in waiting " is the best way, but I don't feel confident we have the AD to make it happen, nor does it appear KF runs his program slowly giving someone else control.

Davis must go, (after games like today and Minny: i question Phil as well, but overall i still believe he did ok overall given the LB situation), recruiting needs a boost, and yes, KF needs to transition out, because I don't believe in the administration to make a good hire (s) on short notice.

It's teetering, no question.

Do you think GB is the right guy to hire the next Iowa coach? I don't.
Nope which is why I am glad Ferentz hasn't been fired yet. I don't want him bought out until Barta is gone because.....

1. I don't think Barta would ever fire Ferentz

AND

2. I don't trust Barta to make the right hire. I fear he'd turn Iowa into Illinois real quick if he did.

Kirk didn't sound like it in the post-game interview with Dolphin. He was talking about getting ready for next season and said he only really felt bad for the seniors. To me he didn't sound like a coach who had any idea that the walls were closing in on him.

That's true but his comments in the full media presser made it seem like he knew there is some heat. But it was also very snarky "Like go ahead and fire me, look at my buyout." Especially when commenting about Pellini's firing.

I really, honestly, feel that no matter what happen next season, next season will be kirks last. I believe he will retire. It just feels like the end is here for him, and that theres nothing he can really do to same the program.

Now, call me crazy, but I also feel like 2015 will be Bob Stoops final year at Oklahoma, either he is fired, quits, or....takes the Iowa job. It could happen like that folks. The only thing im worried about is will Gary Barta go after Bob, or will he hire an unknown/someone he believes is the right fit, such as another licklighter.

Another realistic option, is Bret Bielema, and I will continue to call for him until the day that shows he wont come.

Dont say that none if this can happen, because in my opinion, the scenario of getting stoops or Bielema is very realistic, and could happen.....its just will Barta be smart enough to go after them?

Last edited:
Been over for quite awhile. It has just taken a long time for 'acceptance'.

Lot of times we point to 2009 as the turning point. Reality is 2009 was an aberration. So many fortunate things in that season inflated the record from what it probably should have been - 9-4.

It was 'over' beginning in 2005 having squandered the recruiting opportunity coming out of the 2002-2004 seasons KF glory years.

I really, honestly, feel that no matter what happen next season, next season will be kirks last. I believe he will retire. It just feels like the end is here for him, and that theres nothing he can really do to same the program.

Now, call me crazy, but I also feel like 2015 will be Bobs Stoops final year at Oklahoma, either he is fired, quits, or....takes the Iowa job. It could happen like that folks. The only things im worried about is will Gary Barta go after Bob, or will he hire an unknown/someone he believes is the right fit, such as another licklighter.

Another realistic option, is Bret Bielema, and I will continue to call for him until the day that shows he wont come.

Dont say that none if this can happen, because in my opinion, the theory of getting stoops or Bielema is very realistic, and could happen.....its just will Barta be smart enough to go after them?
I feel like Bob Stoops time has passed to coach at Iowa. He's 54 years old and I think if you make a change next season you have to hire a younger coach. I think he's still got at least 5 or 6 years left in him but unless you have a successor in place for him I'd rather go for something who might be here longer due to age.

I'm all for Bielema, Mike Stoops, or possibly Bobby Diaco if he improves as a coach. I want nothing to do with MAC coaches or any other "mid major" school guys. Younger guys with experience at high level schools should be considered first and foremost. If that's a coordinator then so be it but I'd say Bielema, Mike Stoops, and possibly Bobby Diaco have to be the top names on your list after next season in Kirk is indeed done then.

Being in the medical field for a long time, the closest thing I can relate to this scenario is seeing a loved one sliding into Alzheimer's.

If I were Barta, I would pursue a soft landing for Coach Ferentz similar to what Michigan accomplished with Lloyd Carr. They found an important position for him and he continues to be a big part of the Michigan community (he spoke at a recent graduation commencement I attended)

No.

Ferentz will tell him "Don't do it Gary."

This. When people post they try and create realities that don't exist to support their hopes and/or assertions. Kirk has no intention of retiring. Nor does he think he has done a poor job. Why? Because he is being honest when he constantly says winning at Iowa is a minor miracle. And he sees himself as a miracle worker getting Iowa to ANY bowl game. For those who keep posting with the assumption Kirk knows his time is done and will do the honorable thing . . . sorry, but those fantasies of classiness are just that . . . fantasies.

Latest posts