Is Weisman a 25 carry per game back??

teams use the 'preseason' to work on the running game. so what we see displayed now is not necessarily how the season will play out.

fry did the same thing - he says in the video linked below: teams win games with defense and the running game - go to 6:30 on the video clip.

Hayden Fry - Bitchy Press Conference - YouTube

You DO win that way, and they complement each other. If you're running the ball effectively, you're controlling the pace of the game on your terms. And you're keeping your defense fresh. If you can run the ball down the other team's throat, there's almost no plausible way they can beat you.

Weisman looks better as the game goes on, so I'd like to see Iowa use more Bullock/Canzeri/Daniels in the first half to 3 quarters, then go with a heavy dose of Weisman in the 4th quarter. I guess they could do the same but have Weisman carry the load early and Daniels do it late. Either way I like the idea of having one of our large backs carry the load in the 4th quarter when they are fresh.

I think we average 72 plays/game from here on out. I think we average 53% run (mainly because we are playing some really good teams coming up where we will most certainly be down and have to throw to get back in it). That gives us 38 rushing attempts. I think Rudock averages 5 rushes per game, which leaves 33 for the running backs. I think Weisman should get 16-18 of those, Canzeri should get 9-10 and Daniels should get 7-8. Bullock hasn't shown me near enough to warrant carries. He has continually whiffed on blocks, he keeps trying to bounce runs to the outside, and I'm still pi$$ed about that routine screen play that could have been taken to the house against NIU.

Increase the workload for the freshamn. Keep Wiesman at 20 carries. He's our best option. Keep riding the horse as far as he'll take us and if something happens to him we'll worry about it when that day comes.

I don't think Iowa rushes less than 60% at a min. This

I hope you're right. I think we'll have a good year if that's true. We were only above 60% under KF 3 times (2001, 2002 and 2008) and those were the 3 best years for offensive scoring under KF by far.

So far, we were 54% run against UNI and 67% against Miss. St. We've been 60.6% run for the season. Probably would have beat NIU if we were above 60%.

What has you predicting this high a percentage? Wouldn't you typically run more against the "inferior" opponents. I would think as we get into the B1G schedule we'll need to throw more than we have so far.

I hope you're right. I think we'll have a good year if that's true. We were only above 60% under KF 3 times (2001, 2002 and 2008) and those were the 3 best years for offensive scoring under KF by far.

So far, we were 54% run against UNI and 67% against Miss. St. We've been 60.6% run for the season. Probably would have beat NIU if we were above 60%.

They will not be able to run 60% of the time and move the ball well against good big ten teams. Isn't that a given, or am I way off base?

Is Weisman physically capable of this kind of workload? I think he is.

Is it smart to keep him on the field so much when we are loaded with RB talent and depth? I think it isn't.

They will not be able to run 60% of the time and move the ball well against good big ten teams. Isn't that a given, or am I way off base?

Not against the Ohio States or Michigans, but I don't think it was ever realistic to think we could do anything to win those games, anyway. But running that much can certainly beat teams like Purdue, Minnesota and MSU.

Weisman will get his 15-20 but you now what fellas , his best chance to play in the nfl is as a great blocking fullback who can catch the ball out of the backfield (which we havent seen a lot of) and who can make some tough runs. Those kind of guys can last a while in the NFL but not sure if he has the explosion to make it.

I would like to see a more even mix with the number of carries per back, keep them fresh and hammer at the defense. Bullock does need to cut into the first good hole he sees to get the consistent yardage but he has the speed if he sees the edge.

I think canzeri needs to get about 9-12 carries a game to get in a rhythm and to see what he can do cuz he has the speed.

Maybe not every game but I think that should be the goal most games, especially against the lower tier teams. We even had success against MSU last year running in the 2nd half and that was probably the best run defense in the conference, so I think we could do it.

If you look at Wisconsin they have been very successful running the ball 65-70% every year. I think they have similar talent most years to what we have this year, although they run a different blocking scheme and usually have bigger OL. Wisconsin tries to run the ball in more situations and more on third down. It's not so much dependent on the defense. I remember Nebraska was trying to stack the box against Wisconsin last year and they just kept on running. If defenses do that there's a good chance for a big play if you get past the LOS.

Hayden was and always will be the man, time for him to have a statue outside Kinnick.

Also, he proves the point you don't have to stay within the family to get a good coach. He was a texan who had never been to Iowa and became a legend here. I hope the search committee remembers that when the time comes.

hiring within the family has proven to have turned out pretty well as far as the fry family is concerned.

regarding fry's hire, elliott is on record as saying if fry didn't work out he'd probably have been fired as it was his third football coach hire, the previous two being not successful.

Ultimately, I think Weisman is getting so many carries in a bit of a place-holder manner while the passing game gets up to speed and Daniels get Big Ten-ready.

I think as the season goes along, Weisman and Daniels will combine for about 30 carries/game at about a 50/50 split between them, the speed backs will carry about 5-10 times per game while splitting out as RB/WR hybrids as well, and Rudock will pass, run, or be sacked about 30-35 times per game.

I'd hope to see a shift to more pass as the year goes on. right now a BigTen team will simply line up to stuff and make Rudock beat them. And in 2013 it's not likely that he will do that very often.

No. He gets punished or doles it out on nearly every run. Even 20 carries of that kind border on excessive. I don't care how rock solid you are...physiology, physics and biology always win.
IMO, Walter Payton was a kind of Wiseman-like back that was pretty durable, but Payton knew how to avoid punishment, dole out punishment., and avoid A<I>RBHG.

I thought the entire Ferentz era was basically 60% pass, outsiders think we rush a lot because we are boring and some anonymous running back always seems to have a thousand yards at the end of the year.

I thought the entire Ferentz era was basically 60% pass, outsiders think we rush a lot because we are boring and some anonymous running back always seems to have a thousand yards at the end of the year.

I just checked Iowa's run and pass numbers for the Ferentz era, and according to SportsReference.com, Iowa has had more rush attempts than pass attempts every season that Ferentz has been the head coach. The biggest disparities were in 2001, 2002, and 2003.

Latest posts