Is Tony Barbee Iowa's new coach?

It's not that I don't think Barbee will be a really good hire, it's just that I question how much better of a hire he will be than Forbes, who will stop at nothing to make us a proud program again.

Barbee may be at a mid major, but it is certainly a much higher mid major than the Horizon League and arguably higher than the MWC. Big difference is he has great experience as an assistant at the top of the heap. He sounds way better than the other names I've heard today.

It's not that I don't think Barbee will be a really good hire, it's just that I question how much better of a hire he will be than Forbes, who will stop at nothing to make us a proud program again.

I'm sure they looked at forbes, but if forbes is not interested someone has to take the job.

How come with candidates Barta plans to interview, we haven't seen posts where the school where that coach is from is being asked permission by Iowa to interview them? Just curious

"Iowa newspapers report the UTEP coach is now a serious candidate with the Hawkeyes and expect Iowa to name a new coach within the week."

What papers are saying this?

I haven't read this in any Iowa papers either............

I think it would be a great hire. He has experience recruiting good talent under calipari, has head coaching experience. I believe he would bring excitement to iowa basketball and make iowa competitive again.

I guess I have to get on my old school personal contact soapbox again. But if Barta is strictly relying on the search firm to screen candidates, then it is time for him to go. I have been approached by head hunters numerous times in my career; I have never sreiously talked to them unless they had the ability to make or have serious influence on the decision. They are usually calling everyone they can get a phone # for and hoping to strike gold. On the other hand, if a Company representative from a reasonable firm calls me personally; I would certainly listen to his story. Again, I guess I'm just old school, but personal connections have always what I have found to be important in my business career.

Barbee may be at a mid major, but it is certainly a much higher mid major than the Horizon League and arguably higher than the MWC.

Not true. I only went back the last six years but here are the Conference RPI rankings for the MVC, CUSA and Horizon leagues (in reverse chronological order):

MVC: 9, 8, 6, 4, 6, 7
CUSA: 11, 10, 11, 14, 15, 9
Horizon: 14, 11, 9, 10, 14, 18

The MVC is clearly far better than CUSA and Horizon. The latter two conferences have been fairly similar in RPI rankings. CUSA benefitted from Memphis' run but after that it is a terrible league.

I dont care who the damn coach is get BJ on the staff somehow either HC or assistant. If he could pull Rose, one of the best pro prospects out there as an agent then he can sure snag some high school recruits to come here.

How come with candidates Barta plans to interview, we haven't seen posts where the school where that coach is from is being asked permission by Iowa to interview them? Just curious

That's not always publicly announced. All that needs to happen is a phone call from AD to AD.

Latest posts