Is this the PERFECT WINDOW to let go of Fran?

koralakers

Forget the money for the moment. Any time you axe a coach, there is a ‘cost’...current players transfer, recruits get outta there LOI, etc. Any time you change coaches, it ‘sets you back’ a year or two.

But, RIGHT NOW, the cupboard is all but bare. We have ZERO recruits with any pedigree coming in to help either.

This maybe the PERFECT window. The ‘cost’ to the program will NEVER be lower.

Thoughts?

I don't disagree (assuming last night was an omen for how this year will go), but might have to ask this guy how he feels about that:

154614390.jpg.0.jpg

I have been a Fran supporter and love his intensity. And, with where we were at when he started, I personally give he a B+/A- overall grade for the decade.
But, man, things look like they about to get real bad around here. With this brutal schedule we may only win 5-7 OOC games and lucky to win 5-6 BIG games. And mostly ‘projects’ coming in as recruits. Not much ‘hope’ on the horizon.

Before yesterday I would have said no, today I say, yes, it's a perfect time after this season concludes if Fran doesn't make the NCAA. Like stated by others, that's missing 3 of the last 4 NCAA's (if it happens)- our roster needs a complete over haul, who cares if certain pieces move on? Crazy what can change in 24 hours. I was fairly close to there anyways, I just got the push I needed yesterday.

Historically, I have been a pretty big Fran guy, but that was a few years ago. Even 3 years ago, showing what looked to be late season improvement and making the NIT in a rebuilding year, I felt OK about.

Losing 19 games the next year, piss poor defense the last 2-3 years, yet another late season meltdown last year, and especially the way this next recruiting class is shaping up, has really soured me. Last night's embarrassing loss is yet another nail in that proverbial coffin.

Sure, I'm still hurting from the XF news yesterday, but that turn of events honestly is nothing new. It just reinforces what I had already been feeling.

If this ends up being a bad season, I'd support a change. By "bad", I mean NIT or worse. It's been a decade.

Last edited:
Before yesterday I would have said no, today I say, yes, it's a perfect time after this season concludes if Fran doesn't make the NCAA. Like stated by others, that's missing 3 of the last 4 NCAA's (if it happens)- our roster needs a complete over haul, who cares if certain pieces move on? Crazy what can change in 24 hours. I was fairly close to there anyways, I just got the push I needed yesterday.

I feel exactly the same way. Fran lost twice yesterday, losing Xavier and then the performance last night. I'll give Fran credit that he's got the team to the Big Dance a few times in last few years, but I'm just tired of watching our teams year after year be less quick and athletic than every decent team we play. He tries hard, but Fran just can't recruit the great athlete to come to Iowa. Just tired of it.

Thing is, Barta still has the "we're disappointed in the basketball program this year. Things need to get better and Fran knows that" statement to use after this season is over, meaning he'll get one more year at least.

I've ALWAYS been a Fran guy. 2 seasons ago my stance was "This guys built up so much good will over the past few years, and we have one bad season and we are all just gonna turn on him like this? Nah, that's filthy...he needs to be given the opportunity" - He bounced back last year. It was respectable. He built a little equity with me again. Then DJC, then Moss, then XF. Those are all hard to swallow. But I give him the benefit of the doubt. I gotta see the product on the floor ya know? Maybe he knows what he is doing. I expect respectable basketball for Iowa. I just do. Last night was an absolute joke and I just won't watch anymore. I LOVE Iowa hoops, I have never thought "hey, i am not gonna watch anymore" ...ever. Since I was like 6 years old. I'll literally do ANYTHING else with my time then spend another minute watching that dog shit.

I don't disagree (assuming last night was an omen for how this year will go), but might have to ask this guy how he feels about that:

154614390.jpg.0.jpg

Please don't post this photo again...dude's office is across the street from one of the TOP DENTAL SCHOOLS in the NATION, and his teeth look like this. Obviously didn't befriend a dental prof like Hayden did. At least Soupy at Silo Tech in L'Ames has an excuse for bad teeth...

"But I just felt I had a better chance at success at Iowa State." XF
That should stick in the University President's craw, the Athletic Director's craw, and the Head Mens Basketball Coach's craw, just like it does in all of ours...and the kid's not wrong.

I've ALWAYS been a Fran guy. 2 seasons ago my stance was "This guys built up so much good will over the past few years, and we have one bad season and we are all just gonna turn on him like this? Nah, that's filthy...he needs to be given the opportunity" - He bounced back last year. It was respectable. He built a little equity with me again. Then DJC, then Moss, then XF. Those are all hard to swallow. But I give him the benefit of the doubt. I gotta see the product on the floor ya know? Maybe he knows what he is doing. I expect respectable basketball for Iowa. I just do. Last night was an absolute joke and I just won't watch anymore. I LOVE Iowa hoops, I have never thought "hey, i am not gonna watch anymore" ...ever. Since I was like 6 years old. I'll literally do ANYTHING else with my time then spend another minute watching that dog shit.

I may have hit a souring period a little faster than you, but that's basically where I'm at, and have been at. I thought two years ago was basically a fluke since last year looked like a bounce back to "normal", but after last night, I'm not so sure.

I've really enjoyed Hawkeye Football over the years, but hoops is my true passion.. It's what I grew up on. My household as a kid, it was must watch TV for all of us. Football was kinda optional. So it really pains me to see what this program has been basically the last 20 years, and it doesn't look promising heading forward from where I'm sitting, either.

During the Lickliter years, I was still a die hard, and I couldn't help myself. I had to tune in, knowing full well what the result was probably going to be. That's starting to change. Like you, I never thought I would hit this point. I knew there was a game last night.. I simply didn't feel like watching and I'm glad I didn't.

I've become totally apathetic to the outcome of the games, but as for the program, I still care very much, and I'm pissed. It's an accumulation of the last two decades, absolutely, not just yesterday's events. But I'm not gonna sugar coat that anymore.

Last edited:
I may have hit a souring period a little faster than you, but that's basically where I'm at, and have been at. I thought two years ago was basically a fluke since last year looked like a bounce back to "normal", but after last night, I'm not so sure.

I've really enjoyed Hawkeye Football over the years, but hoops is my true passion.. It's what I grew up on. My household as a kid, it was must watch TV for all of us. Football was kinda optional. So it really pains me to see what this program has been basically the last 20 years, and it doesn't look promising heading forward from where I'm sitting, either.

During the Lickliter years, I was still a die hard, and I couldn't help myself. I had to tune in, knowing full well what the result was probably going to be. That's starting to change. Like you, I never thought I would hit this point. I knew there was a game last night.. I simply didn't feel like watching and I'm glad I didn't.

I've become totally apathetic to the outcome of the games, but as for the program, I still care very much, and I'm pissed. Not gonna sugar coat that anymore.

Same spot. I sat thru all of Lick and I mean ALL of it. I think I've maybe missed watching probably less then 10 games of Iowa basketball total since 1997. That might be high - it's probably less then double digits and that includes all the games that weren't televised in that time and you needed to stream or pay for but I just never miss a game. I love Iowa football, but basketball is 100% without a doubt where my passion lies. It was something my brother and I did growing up. It was our bond. From 1988-1997 I was a huge fan and those were my most impressionable years - but I was a kid and I missed games all the time cause it just wasn't a priority.

I am considering not watching Friday. I have NOTHING else going on, so I likely am going to tune in....but before last night, the notion of just "not watching" had never even occurred to me. It's now pretty likely if what we see on the court continues.

He's GOT to go first. I always thought Fran and he were tied to the hip. A 17-20 loss season should do it.
Unfortunately, neither of the two would go anywhere after that kind of season. Gary would actually give him another extension for "recruiting" purposes. This is Iowa.

Same spot. I sat thru all of Lick and I mean ALL of it. I think I've maybe missed watching probably less then 10 games of Iowa basketball total since 1997. That might be high - it's probably less then double digits and that includes all the games that weren't televised in that time and you needed to stream or pay for but I just never miss a game. I love Iowa football, but basketball is 100% without a doubt where my passion lies. It was something my brother and I did growing up. It was our bond. From 1988-1997 I was a huge fan and those were my most impressionable years - but I was a kid and I missed games all the time cause it just wasn't a priority.

I am considering not watching Friday. I have NOTHING else going on, so I likely am going to tune in....but before last night, the notion of just "not watching" had never even occurred to me. It's now pretty likely if what we see on the court continues.

Yep. I vaguely remember the Raveling years, but the 1986-87 team is what really made me a Hawk fan and the first year I remember with any kind of clarity. I loved Tom Davis, BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble, Ed Horton, Jeff Moe, etc. Still do. I cried like a little girl when Iowa lost to UNLV in '87 (hey, I was only 10). The next two years were fun, too. As a kid, it was magic. Those guys were the face of Iowa hoops for me, growing up, though. Second tier are guys like Settles, Woolridge, Earl, Val Barnes, Kingsbury, etc. Pretty good stuff. Maybe they weren't always the better team but you knew they would be competitive year in and year out, and they rarely got blown out by anyone. Just maybe Duke in the NCAA tournament, that type of thing.

I can't say how many games I've missed, but from the 80's into the 2000's, I never willingly missed a game. When I started discovering females, I missed a game here and there, though. :) The non-televised games like some of those tournaments in Hawaii, we'd have our little radio going and we'd listen in. I remember listening to Iowa beat Duke out in Hawaii in '94.

But in the 2010's, missing games and just blowing them off, has become more regular. It wouldn't take that much to bring me back, though.

Fran's buyout is still way too high. Not to mention Barta was just handed an extension for his "excellent performance". Fran isn't going anywhere until Patrick is done. So saddle up fellas.