Is there a chance someone could transfer?

Jok seems to thrive in the attention while Oglesby doesn't appear to. I'm sure both will get their minutes, but it probably would be better for Jok mentally if he was the guy from the start. Oglesby doesn't seem to aggressive, and I think he would be better off the bench.

I know Fran will play a ton of guys, but I'd really like to see more line-ups with three true perimeter players. In my opinion, a lot of Iowa's struggles this year were a result of asking White and Uthoff to play a long ways from the basket. It also didn't help having a point guard who shot a low percentage from the field (and from the FT line if he ever penetrated and was fouled).

I'd like to see a lot of this:

Dickerson
Oglesby
Jok
White
Woodbury

I like the other guys, too, just saying those five intrigue me (particularly if Dickerson proves to be a dynamic scorer). I also think that White and Uthoff become very average players in the half court, particularly with quicker players guarding them and away from the basket.

I like this thinking, as far as the perimeter players. We do need to wait and see what we have with Dickerson though, he has never played at this kind of level before. I sure hope with all my might that he can break down defenses, amazing how everyone on the court looks better when your PG can beat his man consistently.

Jok seems to thrive in the attention while Oglesby doesn't appear to. I'm sure both will get their minutes, but it probably would be better for Jok mentally if he was the guy from the start. Oglesby doesn't seem to aggressive, and I think he would be better off the bench.

I think the biggest thing from a shooting perspective just comes down to confidence, and Pete has it. We've all seen JO at times get tentative to take even wide open shots when things aren't going well. Pete has at times this year been tentative from the perspective of getting yanked (I think after some early games where he was taking bad shots and playing very few minutes because of it, he did become hesitant to shoot for a stretch), but he's always been confident in taking his shot. Trust me he will have games next year where his shot isn't falling, but he has that "short memory" you sometimes see that doesn't allow it to affect his confidence moving forward.

I would like to see some three guard lineups next season. Two points and a shooter with two bigs. While it's nice to have players that can move either way in the lineup, it can also be a problem. Especially against big, physical teams. It seems a lot of these guys are tweeners...White, Uthoff, and Uhl. White is what he is. Good in transition and a good putback guy. Uthoff is a 2 or 3 only. He needs to work on his ball handling over the summer. Not sure on Uhl.
By size alone. Meyer should get some minutes at the 4. He's bigger than McCabe and sounds like he's got a decent jumper.
Woody and Gabe share the 5 and continue to improve.
I think the team will be better next year. Each player will have a more defined role. Marble was a great player, but he was not the sole reason this team won 20 games.

Last edited:
I think you're right with josh over jok. That said, something happened in the last couple weeks for jok to out of nowhere get this much play time. If its because he got so good that Fran can't keep him off the court, he might improve enough to start next year.

Tanking probably explains that.

If Meyer plays a lot next year it will be because he can score and make an entry pass to Woodbury from the high post.

Don't count on the freshman a ton, maybe BE if he can be a consistent shooter. If Atwood does come to Iowa, I don't see Uhl playing a bunch.

Dickerson is the wild card, just how good is he really...throw out all the rankings and let it all is play out.

If Meyer plays a lot next year it will be because he can score and make an entry pass to Woodbury from the high post.

Don't count on the freshman a ton, maybe BE if he can be a consistent shooter. If Atwood does come to Iowa, I don't see Uhl playing a bunch.

Dickerson is the wild card, just how good is he really...throw out all the rankings and let it all is play out.
Let's hope he is the second coming of Andre Woolridge.. We haven't had a play maker like him since he played. If he is even close,this team could be really good if our shooters can hit their 3s. We have Woody to dish to or kick it outside with dribble penetration.

If Meyer is going to play in the Big Ten he needs to add about 10 pounds of muscle to play more than 20 minutes a game. This guy needs to look at Kaminsky from Wisconsin and try to mold his game after that. Since he apparently already has a decent outside shot he needs to get a couple of moves that allow him to get around his man when they crowd him.

As far as post defense goes, we can't have another big get pushed around like Tennessee, OSU and MSU constantly did to us. Basabe brought toughness and some quickness which Meyer does not have. This staff needs to let him know that he needs to hit the weights hard if he is going to see the court and have any sort of impact.

If Meyer is going to play in the Big Ten he needs to add about 10 pounds of muscle to play more than 20 minutes a game. This guy needs to look at Kaminsky from Wisconsin and try to mold his game after that. Since he apparently already has a decent outside shot he needs to get a couple of moves that allow him to get around his man when they crowd him.

As far as post defense goes, we can't have another big get pushed around like Tennessee, OSU and MSU constantly did to us. Basabe brought toughness and some quickness which Meyer does not have. This staff needs to let him know that he needs to hit the weights hard if he is going to see the court and have any sort of impact.

Well, I don't know about Meyer, but I am sure he won't be fully ready to compete in the Big Ten next season.

When you talk about post defense, I would like to see things called the same on both ends. If the refs didn't allow reputations dictate how games are called on either end that would clean things up a bit. When the announcers talk about how physical the play is and it is one-sided, how is the one not being as physical the one getting called for all the fouls?

I am looking forward to seeing what next year brings. I am hoping Woodbury showed enough that he will live on the low block next year. Really looking forward to seeing Jok/Uthoff on the floor a lot more and what the rotation will look like, I don't believe it will be a deep bench due to youth.

When Iowa was playing Tennessee, I told my brother that unless Iowa puts their most athletic players on the floor with Woodbury, they were going to lose the game. Clemmons/Jok/Uthoff/Marble/White and mix Olaseni, although he was awful, just enough with Woodbury, those are the only guys that should have seen the floor in the last 10 min of the game. Iowa's defense was better without Gesell/Oglesby on the floor and quite honestly, that is where Iowa lost the game again, on that end.

Oh well, I am still excited Iowa did get to the Tournament, lose or not it is another step in the process. Very excited to see the lineup next year.

I think the biggest thing from a shooting perspective just comes down to confidence, and Pete has it. We've all seen JO at times get tentative to take even wide open shots when things aren't going well. Pete has at times this year been tentative from the perspective of getting yanked (I think after some early games where he was taking bad shots and playing very few minutes because of it, he did become hesitant to shoot for a stretch), but he's always been confident in taking his shot. Trust me he will have games next year where his shot isn't falling, but he has that "short memory" you sometimes see that doesn't allow it to affect his confidence moving forward.

I think the team will be better off next year if there are people on this board calling Jok a hog ball.

As much as people dont want to addmit it, it is benecicial to have guys who dont turn out to be contributers to leave...its one of the big advantages sec football has on the rest of the rest of the country.

I think now that Dev is gone, things will be better and everyone will stay. We will be a better team next year.

I don't know why people throw Dev under the bus so quickly.

Because he is graduating.

Makes no sense, I would have said you were a liar if you would have told me he would develop into the player he has.

Also, people believe he is the reason Iowa didn't have leadership...takes more than one guy.

Latest posts