Is the Iowa vax rate off limits or something?

I'm surprised the scientists don't have the virus completely figured out, along with all potential variants.

It's also amazing the virus is still around with how well the country has followed guidelines throughout the pandemic.

Science really sucks. It's ridiculous that some of us get vaccinated for Polio, Smallpox, Mumps, Measles, Hepatitis. I think they might be hoaxes.

Well, we don't have the common cold figured out and it is not dissimilar. One of the vaxes is actually built off the common cold.

Polio likely died out on it's own.

I'm not anti vax, but there are plenty of reasons not to jump on board. Many on here are fat and there is no big call to stop that and that would slow down covid. I work in ag and have worked with the same companies that have vaxes or their pharma relatives and frankly they shouldn't be trusted. Take Roundup for instance. No problems right? And we should just trust. Having worked on a major research project in ag I know how it works. Bad results don't get published.

Then there is the political pay offs "bribes: whatever you want to call it. Not everyone against is dumb.

Those of us that have worked with hog farms already understood this wasn't going away fast and that variations would take place.

I would like to see a study on how many don't want to get vaxed and are healthy and of healthy weight v those who are fat and eat junk.

We shut a country down over obesity. That should be an outrage. We need some sort of fat tax. We have it on smoking.

Well, we don't have the common cold figured out and it is not dissimilar. One of the vaxes is actually built off the common cold.

Polio likely died out on it's own.

I'm not anti vax, but there are plenty of reasons not to jump on board. Many on here are fat and there is no big call to stop that and that would slow down covid. I work in ag and have worked with the same companies that have vaxes or their pharma relatives and frankly they shouldn't be trusted. Take Roundup for instance. No problems right? And we should just trust. Having worked on a major research project in ag I know how it works. Bad results don't get published.

Then there is the political pay offs "bribes: whatever you want to call it. Not everyone against is dumb.

Those of us that have worked with hog farms already understood this wasn't going away fast and that variations would take place.

I would like to see a study on how many don't want to get vaxed and are healthy and of healthy weight v those who are fat and eat junk.

We shut a country down over obesity. That should be an outrage. We need some sort of fat tax. We have it on smoking.
I guess I'm not seeing the connection between obesity and the spread of covid. Fat isn't something you can unknowingly spread to others. I'm totally on board with vaccinations being a choice and the effects obesity plays on your health, but I think your really stretching it to say that the country was shut down over obesity. IMO it's no different than blaming the state of the pandemic completely on those unwilling to vaccinate.

I guess I'm not seeing the connection between obesity and the spread of covid. Fat isn't something you can unknowingly spread to others. I'm totally on board with vaccinations being a choice and the effects obesity plays on your health, but I think your really stretching it to say that the country was shut down over obesity. IMO it's no different than blaming the state of the pandemic completely on those unwilling to vaccinate.
Statistically Covid 19 is no big deal above normal of normal viruses for those who aren't obese. Can you die if not obese? Sure. But the risk is not even close if you are a healthy weight. We shut down an economy of people being.....FAT. If you aren't fat you have a very tiny risk of dying or getting a severe case.

That said, and I'm an ag professional, I've seen Pharma's come out with new ag products against pests and to protect animals. We have created a monster with products not working as the pests/viruses become immune through mutation. We can't control water hemp very well now due to this.

We vaccinate too many and we are forcing the virus to adapt. Usually the mutations are more week, which we really don't know, but the variant going around currect vaxes is already big news.

Also, not talked about is that vaxes when they work can create a huge response in the body. Having a super charged immune system can in theory create a cytokin storm... thus in theory being vaccinated against a rapidly change virus can KILL you. It's a pandora's box. Someday they may thank those who didn't get vaxed.

For sure vax those at high risk. Don't do it for everyone for everyone's sake.

Unless things just die out like in the Spanish Flu pandemic, we will be working with this a long time. The young died from the spanish flu due to cytokine storms and that the older populations had the 1890s or so Russian Flue.

Those of us in Ag pretty much suspected this all along. Had a really indepth discussion early on with a DVM recently who also concurred. I was raised on an Iowa hog farm and work in crops today.

So many people don't trust the Govt or Big Business and yet they are trusting on these vaxes with little real research. Real research takes a long time. Myself, I might do the Novovax when it comes out as it like a few of the current vaxes use old tech, but it isn't as strong. It's the strong reactions that cause the problems. In otherwords, many vaxes work too well.

Though not a vax, think about Roundup and how much we were told it wouldn't hurt anyone. Well it does and Monsanto isn't around anymore because of it. Research is oft corrupt, especially on negative results.

I'm healthy with a really low resting heart rate, low bmi and so forth. Maybe my epitaph will read, well I shoulda been vaxed. Obestity is a huge economic drain on our economy. Put another way. Overwhelmingly currently the deaths are from those not vaxed, but the vaxed toll is growing. From the beginning and currently the overwhelming number of deaths is from obesity from those not vaxed and those vaxed.

If you need a vent, make sure the medical staff really knows what the hell they are doing. You'd be surprised. Being on a vent is linked to death from 2 ways. One you are in bad shape and two the staff isn't careful because they are afraid to work on you and three, they don't want to be around you.

I just read a few minutes ago that 70% of us have now received at least one shot. Apparently the States where the variant is raising havoc are experiencing a rush to vaccinate. Good.

Statistically Covid 19 is no big deal above normal of normal viruses for those who aren't obese. Can you die if not obese? Sure. But the risk is not even close if you are a healthy weight. We shut down an economy of people being.....FAT. If you aren't fat you have a very tiny risk of dying or getting a severe case.

That said, and I'm an ag professional, I've seen Pharma's come out with new ag products against pests and to protect animals. We have created a monster with products not working as the pests/viruses become immune through mutation. We can't control water hemp very well now due to this.

We vaccinate too many and we are forcing the virus to adapt. Usually the mutations are more week, which we really don't know, but the variant going around currect vaxes is already big news.

Also, not talked about is that vaxes when they work can create a huge response in the body. Having a super charged immune system can in theory create a cytokin storm... thus in theory being vaccinated against a rapidly change virus can KILL you. It's a pandora's box. Someday they may thank those who didn't get vaxed.

Unless things just die out like in the Spanish Flu pandemic, we will be working with this a long time. The young died from the spanish flu due to cytokine storms and that the older populations had the 1890s or so Russian Flue.

Those of us in Ag pretty much suspected this all along. Had a really indepth discussion early on with a DVM recently who also concurred. I was raised on an Iowa hog farm and work in crops today.

So many people don't trust the Govt or Big Business and yet they are trusting on these vaxes with little real research. Real research takes a long time. Myself, I might do the Novovax when it comes out as it like a few of the current vaxes use old tech, but it isn't as strong. It's the strong reactions that cause the problems. In otherwords, many vaxes work too well.

Though not a vax, think about Roundup and how much we were told it wouldn't hurt anyone. Well it does and Monsanto isn't around anymore because of it. Research is oft corrupt, especially on negative results.

I'm healthy with a really low resting heart rate, low bmi and so forth. Maybe my epitaph will read, well I shoulda been vaxed. Obestity is a huge economic drain on our economy. Put another way. Overwhelmingly currently the deaths are from those not vaxed, but the vaxed toll is growing. From the beginning and currently the overwhelming number of deaths is from obesity from those not vaxed and those vaxed.

If you need a vent, make sure the medical staff really knows what the hell they are doing. You'd be surprised. Being on a vent is linked to death from 2 ways. One you are in bad shape and two the staff isn't careful because they are afraid to work on you and three, they don't want to be around you.

However, there is the undeniable fact that those who died from Covid would probably
be Alive if they had received the Vaccine

Might still have caught the Covid but survived

Unfortunately, the Vaccine didn't get approved soon enough

Obesity is most certainly one of the major factors in catching the Virus and subsequently,
perhaps dying

However, there is the undeniable fact that those who died from Covid would probably
be Alive if they had received the Vaccine

Might still have caught the Covid but survived

Unfortunately, the Vaccine didn't get approved soon enough

Obesity is most certainly one of the major factors in catching the Virus and subsequently,
perhaps dying

You are correct. But not the healthy.That is very low.

I can't get over how dumb it is for people to blame politicians instead of the overall health of Americans. It's also funny that when Trump was president, everyone blamed him. But now that Biden is president, everyone blames the people for not listening to him. It seems to me that most people are gunna do what they want to do.

But by that same logic...why stop at the obese? Those with underlying health issues such as asthma, respiratory issues, heart problems or even the elderly. Your absolutely right that it hits obese the hardest, but to blame the shutdown of the economy on "fat" people, while a contributing factor, is in my opinion a major stretch.

But by that same logic...why stop at the obese? Those with underlying health issues such as asthma, respiratory issues, heart problems or even the elderly. Your absolutely right that it hits obese the hardest, but to blame the shutdown of the economy on "fat" people, while a contributing factor, is in my opinion a major stretch.

The number of fat people is....huge. take away that number to 1980 and we don't shut down the economy. We Isolate the vulnerable until the vax was out. All people shouldn't be vaxed due to the same basic reason penicillin should be used sparingly. We are creating a Pandora Box. Same issue behind using too much anti bacterial soap.

The point is that fat is preventable. It's part addiction and part culture. Like my best friend is 400lbs+ with whichever type of diabetes you get from being huge. Anyways, he's tried to cut back the shitty food and he fails every time. He's addicted to it. But at the same time it's acceptable in society. Everyone knows he's fat and it just is what it is because we don't look at it in the same way as drug or gambling or whatever addiction.

I guarantee you if he was hurting his health to that degree by being a raging alcoholic we as friends and family would've had an intervention 15 years ago.

But I digress....

The main point is that being fat is preventable and preventing it costs literally nothing. And it's the biggest risk factor for covid death. Asthma, respiratory issues not caused by smoking, etc. genetic factors...those aren't necessarily preventable.

It's not debatable that the vast, vast majority of folks who got really sick or died of the 'rona had preventable risk factors.

It's not debatable that the vast, vast majority of folks who got really sick or died of the 'rona had preventable risk factors.

I don't think this is true. According to the Iowa dashboard, 58% of the dead in Iowa are over 80. Most people who have preventable risk factors don't live to be 80 and people who are over 80 have already beaten the average life expectancy.

I don't think this is true. According to the Iowa dashboard, 58% of the dead in Iowa are over 80. Most people who have preventable risk factors don't live to be 80 and people who are over 80 have already beaten the average life expectancy.
I should have specified under 65, but that point is moot now because north of 95% of that group has been vaxxed.

If you got real sick or croaked from the 'vid and you were under 65, chances are the cheeseburgers did you in.

Foods can be like a drug. Your body gets addicted to certain things. Heavy carbs for instance gives basically a sugar addiction. There are additives. It is preventable
Obesity is still a major factor in the elderly. It's widely published death rates have been 10x higher in countries where the majority of the population is overweight. The US overweigh pop is almost 2 of every 3 people.

Clearly if one wants to be angry about COVID deaths, that anger needs to be placed on Govt policies that don't encourage health, corporate greed in the food industry, and individual decisions on nutrition. Healthy people not wanting to be vaxed isn't applicable in this situation.

I'm not anti vax. I am pro healthy living. The COVID vax doesn't necessarily promote health if all are to be vaxed. It's to try and keep alive people who make poor choices on how they live and I will continue to make decisions to keep myself healthy by not injecting myself with substances that aren't necessarily healthy which I know has some risk. If COVID rips through healthy people, I may change my mind. I'm not getting vaxed to protect those who make poor decisions.

There are other ways to protect healthy elderly people. The whole situation is sad. We cannot make the poor choices of our society into a worse situation.

Last edited:
I'm not anti vax. I am pro healthy living. The COVID vax doesn't necessarily promote health if all are to be vaxed. It's to try and keep alive people who make poor choices on how they live.
I got the covid vaccine and I get a yearly flu shot because of another factor that I don't think some people consider.

I don't like being sick.

I'm not at all afraid of dying or getting hospitalized from covid or the flu, and I don't have any at risk family members who aren't vaccinated. I just don't like being sick. It sucks and I don't want to feel like shit. Simple as that.

Also, vaccination campaigns aren't nearly as potentially dangerous as antibiotic overuse and resistance. Two totally different things.

Think will see anything different as it relates to restrictions in Kinnick this fall? No mandate, but a suggestion to wear masks? Or nothing at all? Think it could vary by stadium within the Big Ten?

I got the covid vaccine and I get a yearly flu shot because of another factor that I don't think some people consider.

I don't like being sick.

I'm not at all afraid of dying or getting hospitalized from covid or the flu, and I don't have any at risk family members who aren't vaccinated. I just don't like being sick. It sucks and I don't want to feel like shit. Simple as that.

Also, vaccination campaigns aren't nearly as potentially dangerous as antibiotic overuse and resistance. Two totally different things.
Seriously, you should visit a hog facility.

Think will see anything different as it relates to restrictions in Kinnick this fall? No mandate, but a suggestion to wear masks? Or nothing at all? Think it could vary by stadium within the Big Ten?
You're always going to see the suggestion from here forward. It's a permanent thing as long as covid is around in some form. Which is obviously forever.

I'd bet at some point unless cases fall off in the next couple months, we'll see a mask mandate in Kinnick. If I have to wear one I will but it will be a neck gaiter (which, for the gaiter-shaming crowd are listed as acceptable by the CDC). I don't think you'll see stadiums close to fans again this year, though, because case counts won't be anywhere near what they were last winter and the other conferences had fans. Big Ten isn't losing out on that money again.

I'm vaccinated, and I think vaccination is a good thing, but I'm done with covid. Don't even give it a passing thought anymore unless I end up somewhere I have to wear a mask. I know my own chances of getting sick or dying from it now are exponentially less than dying in a car accident or having a stroke or heart attack, and my son's chances are even smaller yet. The chances of me spreading it are also vastly reduced. No I don't know what the long-term effects of covid are, and yes I know there are more serious variants popping up. Whether anyone will admit it, life is nothing more than a series of choices (conscious or otherwise) that each have a varying level of risk.

The risk of covid compared to daily status quo risk is so infinitesimally small (to me as a vaccinated person) that covid is background noise. I can't control other people becoming vaccinated and I can't control other variants. What I do know is that I've done on a personal level the biggest thing to prevent me from getting sick, and I'm going to continue my life. I shake hands with people, hug family members, and *GASP* eat chips and salsa from the same bowl as strangers (no double dipping, goddammit). I'll be high fiving the F out of people at football games this fall. If you don't want a high five, that's cool.

Should I be doing more socially proactive things like wearing a mask everywhere just out of precaution, or emailing all of my friends about vaccine promotion and activism, and cutting myself off from longtime friends and alienating myself in general because there's a 0.000045% chance of me getting Johnny's son sick at a band concert? Or somewhere in between? Hmmm........

I don't know the answer to that, but I'm over it. Obesity, sugar, tobacco, lack of exercise, and alcohol are all way, waaaaaaay bigger killers in our society, but we don't castigate people nor attempt to legislate anyone into not doing those things...why should I make covid a bigger focus? Because it's politicized by the right and left. F 'em both.

Should I be shamed for not wearing a mask or vocally preaching for vaccines when I'm not allowed to call 'ol Bertha a fat ass because she eats 4 McDoubles a day and smokes, and then takes public funds to pay for her scooter and oxygen?
You have a brain. You use it to make decisions based off the available info. You are able to block out the noise on both the left and the right.

Many more, and this whole experience has proven its a pretty significant amount of our populace, fall for the fear factor, enjoy being told what to do or how to act, believe useless information, a gullible to the gills, and will obey anyone who says boo.

Like I said, the worst part is how these sheeple enjoy it, even embrace it. It's precisely the mindset that prevented us from getting out of the Great Depression sooner and it's the same mindset that will prolong this pan....I mean, the fear of this pandemic. Any many of our elected leaders will continue to prey on this mindset because that is how they push their agendas.

I just got back from eight days in the tropics, and I hugged more strangers than I ever have in my life, let alone the friends in my group.

I just read a few minutes ago that 70% of us have now received at least one shot. Apparently the States where the variant is raising havoc are experiencing a rush to vaccinate. Good.
We're on the doorstep of requiring proof of vaccination.. in fact it's happening in NYC.

How well they can enforce it, prevent fake vaccination certificates etc., is another story.

Latest posts