Is the Iowa vax rate off limits or something?

O'Keefe! Nice. Now we at least got a legit thread going on the minor league page here. Lestikow reported that vaccinated players at Iowa are not subject to testing.

O'Keefe! Nice. Now we at least got a legit thread going on the minor league page here. Lestikow reported that vaccinated players at Iowa are not subject to testing.

Yeah, and as of now they aren't. Once someone gets the sniffles the second week of October when it gets cold that will be off the table. To quote Darth Vader: "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further."

I'm surprised the scientists don't have the virus completely figured out, along with all potential variants.

It's also amazing the virus is still around with how well the country has followed guidelines throughout the pandemic.

Science really sucks. It's ridiculous that some of us get vaccinated for Polio, Smallpox, Mumps, Measles, Hepatitis. I think they might be hoaxes.

It'd be nice to get more details from others on this by moving a timely Iowa football eligibility/competitive advantage discussion to the Iowa football board, which is currently being dominated by fun subjects like the Big 12's finances and the 214,563rd thread over the past 17 years asking about Iowa's next coach.
Need me to send a few links from last spring and summer to threads on those subjects so you can see how well they went? If you're so stuck on discussing covid on an Iowa football board I'd suggest you go to one of the other sites that you said are vigorously talking about it.

I went to HawkeyeReport's board...40 threads on the first page and nothing discussing covid or vaccination.

Hawkeyelounge.com's forum...40 threads on the first page with no covid or vaccination threads.

Goiowaawesome...25 threads on the first page,...no 'rona or vaccines.

Maybe you went to a super secret website that isn't easily found on Google, I don't know.

And by the way, no one's quashing your freedom. I moved the thread where it's designated, no more--no less. If there was so much interest you'd have tons of people in here talking with you. If it will help your heartburn, as an olive branch I will go create a thread in the football forum linking to this one telling everyone on the football board that you want to discuss the matter.

You've quite literally been given a dedicated space to discuss controversial topics with zero censorship yet you still bitch about it.

I'm surprised the scientists don't have the virus completely figured out, along with all potential variants.

It's also amazing the virus is still around with how well the country has followed guidelines throughout the pandemic.

Science really sucks. It's ridiculous that some of us get vaccinated for Polio, Smallpox, Mumps, Measles, Hepatitis. I think they might be hoaxes.
Rob, what is your response to folks who aren't getting vaccinated because they don't feel like it's safe as opposed to it being a hoax?

I'm not indicating a position either way and I gladly got vaccinated as soon as I was able, but in my neck of the woods that's the vaccine hesitancy that I run into. Have several very good lifelong friends who feel that way. I know they exist obviously, but I just haven't run into the hoaxxers myself.

Need me to send a few links from last spring and summer to threads on those subjects so you can see how well they went? If you're so stuck on discussing covid on an Iowa football board I'd suggest you go to one of the other sites that you said are vigorously talking about it.

I went to HawkeyeReport's board...40 threads on the first page and nothing discussing covid or vaccination.

Hawkeyelounge.com's forum...40 threads on the first page with no covid or vaccination threads.

Maybe you went to a super secret website that isn't easily found on Google, I don't know.

And by the way, no one's quashing your freedom. I moved the thread where it's designated, no more--no less. If there was so much interest you'd have tons of people in here talking with you. If it will help your heartburn, as an olive branch I will go create a thread in the football forum linking to this one telling everyone on the football board that you want to discuss the matter.

You've quite literally been given a dedicated space to discuss controversial topics with zero censorship yet you still bitch about it.

I'm only bitching a little bit - but don't we all? I only checked Hawkeye report earlier and they have a thread with 7 pages about it. But no O'keefe for prez there. What can I say. I wish I could quit him.

My point is I don't see how this isn't an Iowa football issue. If the Hawks get a bunch of folks knocked out before the Indiana game, will we be allowed to talk about that and strategies for overcoming the loss of players? I'm not bitching when I say that. I'm posing hypotheticals and enjoying engaging with others about the ins and outs. Kind of why one comes to these boards.

Rob, what is your response to folks who aren't getting vaccinated because they don't feel like it's safe as opposed to it being a hoax?

I'm not indicating a position either way and I gladly got vaccinated as soon as I was able, but in my neck of the woods that's the vaccine hesitancy that I run into. Have several very good lifelong friends who feel that way. I know they exist obviously, but I just haven't run into the hoaxxers myself.
I've run into that too. My question is what sources are they relying on to make them feel that the vaccine isn't safe? (Sorry, I'll let Rob talk).

I'm not sure what portion of the unvaccinated are folks that don't feel it's safe. It would be interesting to find out the percentage compared to the hoax folks.

We might find out of the FDA approves it or at least get a better idea.

I'm only bitching a little bit - but don't we all? I only checked Hawkeye report earlier and they have a thread with 7 pages about it. But no O'keefe for prez there. What can I say. I wish I could quit him.

My point is I don't see how this isn't an Iowa football issue. If the Hawks get a bunch of folks knocked out before the Indiana game, will we be allowed to talk about that and strategies for overcoming the loss of players? I'm not bitching when I say that. I'm posing hypotheticals and enjoying engaging with others about the ins and outs. Kind of why one comes to these boards.
Welp, for the last time from me, read the sticky. Football-related or not it doesn’t go there. Take it or leave it.

Yeah, it's just hard for simpletons like me to keep track of which science is settled versus which science is evolving. I just hope that the various actors within the information sharing apparatus that exists in this country can do a better job of silencing anyone who disagrees with or challenges settled science in any way because the worst thing imaginable is anyone who challenges science that is already settled.

I'm still reeling from a terrible interaction at a restaurant a few weeks ago. This gentleman (and I use the term loosely here) walked from the door to his table, which was at least 12 feet away from the door, without a mask on. I was literally shaking. Thankfully there were some plexiglass dividers that extended up 3 feet behind the booth I was sitting in so I at least felt a little bit safer, but without those dividers, I can't fathom how dangerous that place would have been due to that man's utter disregard for rules.

Yeah, it's just hard for simpletons like me to keep track of which science is settled versus which science is evolving. I just hope that the various actors within the information sharing apparatus that exists in this country can do a better job of silencing anyone who disagrees with or challenges settled science in any way because the worst thing imaginable is anyone who challenges science that is already settled.

I'm still reeling from a terrible interaction at a restaurant a few weeks ago. This gentleman (and I use the term loosely here) walked from the door to his table, which was at least 12 feet away from the door, without a mask on. I was literally shaking. Thankfully there were some plexiglass dividers that extended up 3 feet behind the booth I was sitting in so I at least felt a little bit safer, but without those dividers, I can't fathom how dangerous that place would have been due to that man's utter disregard for rules.
You'll be fine. You're a tough guy.

Definitely an Iowa football issue. I guess I'm with Fryowa though on this one. We all know it's going to end up here eventually so it might as well start here.

I guess in my opinion I'm not surprised at all that we're around 70% when only I'm seeing that only 49.8% of Iowan's state wide are fully vaccinated and 53.31% have have at least one dose. Honestly, with state political affiliation aside, I'm more shocked were just slightly below 50% statewide than I am that only 70% of the team is vaccinated.

I'm vaccinated, and I think vaccination is a good thing, but I'm done with covid. Don't even give it a passing thought anymore unless I end up somewhere I have to wear a mask. I know my own chances of getting sick or dying from it now are exponentially less than dying in a car accident or having a stroke or heart attack, and my son's chances are even smaller yet. The chances of me spreading it are also vastly reduced. No I don't know what the long-term effects of covid are, and yes I know there are more serious variants popping up. Whether anyone will admit it, life is nothing more than a series of choices (conscious or otherwise) that each have a varying level of risk.

The risk of covid compared to daily status quo risk is so infinitesimally small (to me as a vaccinated person) that covid is background noise. I can't control other people becoming vaccinated and I can't control other variants. What I do know is that I've done on a personal level the biggest thing to prevent me from getting sick, and I'm going to continue my life. I shake hands with people, hug family members, and *GASP* eat chips and salsa from the same bowl as strangers (no double dipping, goddammit). I'll be high fiving the F out of people at football games this fall. If you don't want a high five, that's cool.

Should I be doing more socially proactive things like wearing a mask everywhere just out of precaution, or emailing all of my friends about vaccine promotion and activism, and cutting myself off from longtime friends and alienating myself in general because there's a 0.000045% chance of me getting Johnny's son sick at a band concert? Or somewhere in between? Hmmm........

I don't know the answer to that, but I'm over it. Obesity, sugar, tobacco, lack of exercise, and alcohol are all way, waaaaaaay bigger killers in our society, but we don't castigate people nor attempt to legislate anyone into not doing those things...why should I make covid a bigger focus? Because it's politicized by the right and left. F 'em both.

Should I be shamed for not wearing a mask or vocally preaching for vaccines when I'm not allowed to call 'ol Bertha a fat ass because she eats 4 McDoubles a day and smokes, and then takes public funds to pay for her scooter and oxygen?

I think we all have a ton of Covid fatigue. My angle was only that vax rates could be a competitive issue for Iowa given policies around eligibility. Maybe Iowa is simply middle of the pack in the Big Ten on this. Or maybe other programs are lying about their vax rates. From what we know communicated at media days, Iowa was near the bottom of the six or seven teams that commented on it. And Kirk seemed less adamant (at least publicly) about pushing to get to 100%. (Not saying he doesn't want that, but he was a bit gentler in his comments than a couple other coaches).

When you look at Tracy's comments, you could see this being a major rift for the team to deal with in coming days. Hopefully they can come to terms with it soon.

We live in a heavily rural state which is heavily Republican, and Republicans make up almost all anti C19 vaxxers. That's not me trying to steer a narrative, that's fact.

Because we live in a heavily rural and Republican state with a large population who are against taking the vaccine, we naturally have several players coming from said demographic. One look at social media and you can tell one side from the other, especially in guys like Ike Boettger, CJ Beathard, Peter Pekar, Drake Kulick, etc.

Kirk is not going to want to piss off any one contingent of his players who don't want to get it. The last thing he wants to do, especially after last year, is start telling players what to do.

Disclaimer: I have no idea about Tyler Linderbaum's political leanings nor his vaxx status; I'm using him below as an example because he's our best player....

Example...say Tyler Linderbaum is very against taking the vaccine for whatever reason. Are you going to bench him and remove him from team activities because of it (which is illegal anyways)? No way Kirk's going to sit his best player because of something like that.
Iowa did vote republican this cycle, but it's not like it's a heavily red state. Also Pennsylvania went blue too. There is no doubt that more Republicans are vaccine hesitant right now, but I think the difference is pretty exaggerated. Especially since most minorities are democrat.

Country? I'm pretty sure covid is world wide.

World wide? I thought it was some kind of grand conspiracy! /s
Ha no joke. There are a lot of things I see people say that make me question if they can comprehend that this is a worldwide issue. What the US does or doesn't do might slightly help or hurt total deaths here, but our choices aren't going to decide whether or not COVID ever gets eradicated. The people who don't understand that are always going to be pointing fingers at everyone else saying they're to blame that the pandemic is still going.

Latest posts