Is Luka Getting Too Cocky?

It looked like there was some additional jawing going on in this game above and beyond what we typically see.

I noticed a couple times during the game where guys (e.g., Joe T and CJ Fredrick) made some gestures or said some things when they typically don't do that.

In the player interviews posted on the home page, a reporter asked Joe T about it and he said that a coach on the sideline said something negative to him while he was shooting the 3, which is why he waved to him after he sank it (but noted that he did not say anything negative in return).

This was an intense physical game and I think the players were just into it. I'd rather see a little jawing and showboating to shut the other team up instead of wilting and backing down.

Luka is being hammered inside

Often has at least 2 players guarding him sometime 3 and he still excels

He has every right to and seriously deserves to Celebrate his dominance

It's All Good

He has always had an exuberant attitude

Which is well deserved

It is not exactly an abuse of power case

:cool:

My personal theatrics list:

Perfectly fine and acceptable:
  • Screaming into the air
  • Fist pump/raising an arm or 2 (but never 3)
  • Things that are fun and goofy and not dismissive of your opponent (e.g. "3 goggles")
  • A dismissive glance at an opponent you just dominated in an especially egregious manner, but said glance is not to last longer than 1.2 seconds

Things I could do without, but oh well, let the kids of fun:
  • Things that shout, "Look at how great I am!" For example, JBo's "ice in the veins", the entire team and their endless muscle flexing, etc.. If that is part of their fun, I can live with it, but it wouldn't be my choice, and I would try to talk my kid out of acting that way.

Things that you should never do. These are basically things that should cause the game to instantly go into "hockey mode", in other words, you damn well better be willing to back these actions up by dropping the gloves:
  • Intentionally and needlessly stepping over someone who is on the ground as a means of taunting
  • Screaming in someone's face after dunking on them/blocking their shot/getting an and-1
  • Getting on all 4's and performing the "peeing dog" celebration on an opposing team's midcourt logo during an away game

He did it more last night because Rutgers were talking shit the entire game, especially their bench. Now that I know it bothers y'all, I hope he steps it up even more. Get em, Luka!

giphy.gif

I suppose it's hard to control your emotions out there at all times. We can only imagine some of the trash talk going on. I'm pretty sure Harper Jr. said something to Connor while at the line when the the score was 82 to 80. Connor sunk them both to put a nail in it. That's all he needed to do and I don't think he said anything back to him at the time. I think if it gets too much Fran and staff will take care of it.

Don't get me wrong. I like the intensity if it's genuine. It's just different than how he previously carried himself. Jo Bo is one to work the opposing fans or get under their skin a bit, but Garza has always been the steady Eddy that just worked hard and let his play do the talking.

Kisses and Muscles

In the past few games, we now see Garza throwing kisses to the opposing fans and muscle flexing to fans and the opposing bench. Is this good or does he need to try to tone it down just a bit? Is he straddling that fine line from showing emotion and passion vs thug behavior? My only concern is that now and going forward he's going to have many eyes on him nationally which will increase as the season goes. He's being mentioned during blue blood games being telecast about him as a Player of The Year candidate. People will tune in to watch him to see what he is all about. I'd hate for them to think of him as a thug player, like a Mich St. player, since we all know he is not that way, but compassionate and hard working.

I like his intensity, but just wondering if he's getting to the point of crossing the line a bit? Can he play well as the villain similar to Jo Bo or could it be detrimental to his game?
You must be one of "those people"

02b971659c671b2eb3f04dfb58f7a5c3--steve-mc-havana-cuba.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I like the intensity if it's genuine. It's just different than how he previously carried himself. Jo Bo is one to work the opposing fans or get under their skin a bit, but Garza has always been the steady Eddy that just worked hard and let his play do the talking.

Kisses and Muscles

In the past few games, we now see Garza throwing kisses to the opposing fans and muscle flexing to fans and the opposing bench. Is this good or does he need to try to tone it down just a bit? Is he straddling that fine line from showing emotion and passion vs thug behavior? My only concern is that now and going forward he's going to have many eyes on him nationally which will increase as the season goes. He's being mentioned during blue blood games being telecast about him as a Player of The Year candidate. People will tune in to watch him to see what he is all about. I'd hate for them to think of him as a thug player, like a Mich St. player, since we all know he is not that way, but compassionate and hard working.

I like his intensity, but just wondering if he's getting to the point of crossing the line a bit? Can he play well as the villain similar to Jo Bo or could it be detrimental to his game?
No.

Let the kids have fun. If they weren't showing emotion we'd be complaining about the team not having any life. It's an emotional game. I enjoy trash talk. Basketball is a trash talk sport. More of that, less of what happened with KS vs KST.

I have zero problem with either one. He usually only flexes if he gets an "and 1" or makes a basket where he was clearly fouled and it doesn't get called. I'm guessing the kisses are only coming out if opposing fans are talking a lot of smack but that's just a guess.

Correct on the kisses. I didn't really have a problem the first time he did it as it was directed to opposing teams football players talking smack from the stands. Kind of funny.

Christian Laettner was an example of a "thug" player. Always playing dirty, stomping on players who tried to take a charge, throwing elbows....basically any dirty trick that would get under a player's skin.

Luka is just a big kid. He's excitable and demonstrative, but not dirty.

But I do agree with others that I'd like him to take the "no big deal, I've done this before" sort of mentality....but at the end of the day, he's a college kid, so let him have his fun as long as it doesn't become dirty or overtly taunting actions.

Solid.

My personal theatrics list:

Perfectly fine and acceptable:
  • Screaming into the air
  • Fist pump/raising an arm or 2 (but never 3)
  • Things that are fun and goofy and not dismissive of your opponent (e.g. "3 goggles")
  • A dismissive glance at an opponent you just dominated in an especially egregious manner, but said glance is not to last longer than 1.2 seconds

Things I could do without, but oh well, let the kids of fun:
  • Things that shout, "Look at how great I am!" For example, JBo's "ice in the veins", the entire team and their endless muscle flexing, etc.. If that is part of their fun, I can live with it, but it wouldn't be my choice, and I would try to talk my kid out of acting that way.

Things that you should never do. These are basically things that should cause the game to instantly go into "hockey mode", in other words, you damn well better be willing to back these actions up by dropping the gloves:
  • Intentionally and needlessly stepping over someone who is on the ground as a means of taunting
  • Screaming in someone's face after dunking on them/blocking their shot/getting an and-1
  • Getting on all 4's and performing the "peeing dog" celebration on an opposing team's midcourt logo during an away game

4) The throat slash.

Pump him up and deflate the opponent.

Rutgers big man was frustrated last night that Luka was scoring on him even with some M2M decent defense Pickel had to calm him down.
The Rutgers big guy was demoralized by his inability to stop Garza, not by Garza hamming it up for the crowd and the opposing bench. I would prefer letting the quality of his play do the talking. It sure does have a lot to say.

Latest posts