Is Kirk Ferentz a Hall of Fame Coach?

So I question if Kirk had coached at 3 different schools in the past 20 years with a similar total record if anyone would view him as any more than mediocre. I'm not a stats guy to the degree I know where to find things but I'd wager that there are 2-3 coaches with similar W/L records over 20 years that NO ONE would consider HOF coaches.

I guess I don't want to give too much credit to longevity. Look at the guys around Ferentz on this list. Are THEY HOF coaches?

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

For some reason, Tommy Tupperville was the first guy to pop into my head with your description. Is Tommy Tupperville a HOF coach

Coaching career (HC)
1995–1998
Ole Miss
1999–2008 Auburn
2010–2012 Texas Tech
2013–2016 Cincinnati
Head coaching record
Overall
159–99 (college)
Bowls 7–6
Accomplishments and honors
Championships

1 SEC (2004)
1 The American (2014)
5 SEC Western Division (2000–2002, 2004–2005)
Awards
AFCA Coach of the Year (2004)
Paul "Bear" Bryant Award (2004)
Sporting News College Football COY (2004)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2004)
2x SEC Coach of the Year (1997, 2004)

Well, he has a .616 record so at least he's eligible. KF is not eligible. Sort of like asking if Arnie would make a good president at this point.

Interesting. You are right.

Here are the elligibility requirements for college football hall of fame:

Coaches must have at least 10 years of head coaching experience, coached 100 games, and had at least a .600 winning percentage.

Kirk Ferentz overall is 155-118. Thats a .567 winning percentage.

Kirk Ferentz is not elligible.

/end thread

EVERYTHING BELOW IS IRRELEVANT AS IT ONLY COUNTS KF'S IOWA RECORD. SEE POST BELOW

But seriously Kirk is 143 and 97 = .596.

If he goes 9-4 this year (8-4 regular season and wins the bowl) he'll be 152 and 101 = .600

8-5 = .615
7-6 = .538

So more 7 win seasons do him no good. He needs to win 8 games or more. Here's the math for how many 8 win season he needs to get above .600

The FIRST year he wins 9+ that will put him over 600 assuming he wins at least 8 before that. E.g. 8-5 in '18 and then 9-4 in '19 puts him over.

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 12.22.56 PM.png

Last edited:
/end thread
But seriously Kirk is 143 and 97 = .596.

If he goes 9-4 this year (8-4 regular season and wins the bowl) he'll be 152 and 101 = .600

8-5 = .615
7-6 = .538

So more 7 win seasons do him no good. He needs to win 8 games or more. Here's the math for how many 8 win season he needs to get above .600

The FIRST year he wins 9+ that will put him over 600 assuming he wins at least 8 before that. E.g. 8-5 in '18 and then 9-4 in '19 puts him over.

View attachment 3551
You're forgetting about his time at Maine.

Maine 12-21
Iowa 143-97

Total: 155-118 (56.7%)

Damn the website I used did me wrong. Update pending.

So he literally can't get there going 8-5

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 12.39.15 PM.png

He needs multiple 10 win seasons to get there. Heck, he needs multiple 20015 seasons to get there.

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 12.42.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 12.42.47 PM.png

Last edited:
You're forgetting about his time at Maine.

If you take out Maine and his first Iowa years and two of his worst regressions later its pretty impresssive. All coaches have bad years sure but in his case I think it keeps him out without a real run and making the playoff once.

If you take out Maine and his first Iowa years and two of his worst regressions later its pretty impresssive. All coaches have bad years sure but in his case I think it keeps him out without a real run and making the playoff once.
source.gif

Its funny though that Jon has been harping about KF being a hall of famer since at least this article (https://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/is-kirk-ferentz-a-hall-of-famer) if not earlier. Then all the sudden out of the blue on the podcast Deace starts talking about how he's not eligible. Like really recently. I'm not sure I heard it come up prior to this most recent round of podcasts where Deace does his statistical analysis and ranked the coaches. Ferentz got zero points out of 3 for being a future hall of famer because he's not eligible. Wonder when Jon realized he wasn't eligible. Was it at that moment?

Wait a minute. How is Hayden Fry in the HOF? He does not have a .600 winning percentage. I think the .600 rule only applies to active coaches. Anybody over 70 years old or has been retired for 3 years is elligible.

1. A coach becomes eligible three years after retirement or immediately following retirement provided he is at least 70 years of age. Active coaches become eligible at 75 years of age. He must have been a head coach for a minimum of 10 years and coached at least 100 games with a .600 winning percentage*.
https://www.cfbhall.com/about/selection-process/

Last edited:
Wait a minute. How is Hayden Fry in the HOF? He does not have a .600 winning percentage. I think the .600 rule only applies to active coaches. Anybody over 70 years old or has been retired for 3 years is elligible.

1. A coach becomes eligible three years after retirement or immediately following retirement provided he is at least 70 years of age. Active coaches become eligible at 75 years of age. He must have been a head coach for a minimum of 10 years and coached at least 100 games with a .600 winning percentage*.
Oh great! Thread reopened. SOB!

The criteria have changed over time per the wikipedia article.

Also that wording is far from clear. It does not clearly say that the .600 rule only applies to active coaches. Each of these statements are separate sentences. It could just as easily be interpreted as:

Coach must be retired for 3 years, or be 70 at retirement or be 75 if active....
AND be HC for 10 years...
AND have coached 100+ games with a .600 record.

Last edited:

https://www.cfbhall.com/about/selection-process/
Will we ever see a female coach in the HOF?

I go back to the premise that Ferentz is more of a survivor than a legend and his raw numbers are more due to longevity. Saying he has more B1G wins than Jim Tressel and Lloyd Carr is not a good argument IMO because he's coached in the B1G WAY longer. That's why you use percentages and his doesn't hold up.

Carr was at Michigan for 13 years. Ferentz just completed 19 at Iowa. Carr had 9.4 wins per year at Michigan. Over 19 years that would be 179 wins vs. Ferentz 143. Tressel had 10.6 wins per year at OSU. If he had been there for 19 years that would be 201 wins vs. Ferentz 143.

This is nonsense. Its like saying I'm a world class bowler if you add my two 150 games together.

Last edited:
Some coaches of interest that are in the Hall of Fame

Former Iowa head coaches
Howard Jones, Eddie Anderson, Forest Evashevski, Hayden Fry

Former ISU and UNI head coaches
Earl Bruce, Darrell Mudra

Interestingly enough Johny Majors is not on the list.

Also of note, Bill Synder is already in the Hall of Fame.

I go back to the premise that Ferentz is more of a survivor than a legend and his raw numbers are more due to longevity. Saying he has more B1G wins than Jim Tressel and Lloyd Carr is not a good argument IMO because he's coached in the B1G WAY longer. That's why you use percentages and his doesn't hold up.

Carr was at Michigan for 13 years. Ferentz just completed 19 at Iowa. Carr had 9.4 wins per year at Michigan. Over 19 years that would be 179 wins vs. Ferentz 143. Tressel had 10.6 wins per year at OSU. If he had been there for 19 years that would be 201 wins vs. Ferentz 143.

This is nonsense. Its like saying I'm a world class bowler if you add my two 150 games together.
Or if you add up 4 of my 75 games together...

I went down this road before about Tressel. No non-Iowa fan would ever claim that Ferentz was on the same level as Tressel. Actually, no rational Iowa fan would claim that either.

Latest posts