Is Kirk Ferentz a Hall of Fame Coach?

Thanks for digging all that up. To me I think this makes him good enough to be in the hall of pretty good. Not HOF so much. To me if every coach that hangs around awhile in the middle of the pack of everything is a HOFer than that just waters it down to me...
Reminds me of a quote I've always remembered, from Warren Sapp.

In the late '90's, Tampa Bay was good but not great, w/ a great defense but limited offense (Shaun King at qb).

Sapp was asked if he thought they could get to the Super Bowl w/out a great qb. He said "Well, the Steelers got there with Neil O'Donnell, and I don't think people would even say he was good."

KF will be in. As I said, it's not as selective as you might think / hope.

Here's the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...List_of_College_Football_Hall_of_Fame_coaches

I get the argument that Halls should be for elite players and coaches and KF isn't an elite coach. But HOFs seem to have been lowering their standards as of late so that would look better for Kirk.

3,000 hits has meant an automatic inclusion into baseball's HOF. What would the equivalent-to-hits win total for college coaches that would seem to mean an automatic inclusion? Kirk has 155, if you include Maine. So would it be 150 or 200 maybe?

I don't know if you should include the millions in $ he's donated to the children's hospital or not, since that's off the field but it can't hurt his argument. Five top ten finishes, no recruiting violations that we're aware of, fewer scandals than many other coaches have had.

Craig Biggio had 3K hits and will probably be inducted into baseball's HOF some day even though he was only a lifetime .281 hitter. Kirk might just be college football's equivalent to Craig Biggio.

Better get the plaque ready ... Biggio went into the HOF in 2015. :)

884523_072615-ktrk-biggio-fans3.jpg

Reminds me of a quote I've always remembered, from Warren Sapp.

In the late '90's, Tampa Bay was good but not great, w/ a great defense but limited offense (Shaun King at qb).

Sapp was asked if he thought they could get to the Super Bowl w/out a great qb. He said "Well, the Steelers got there with Neil O'Donnell, and I don't think people would even say he was good."

KF will be in. As I said, it's not as selective as you might think / hope.

Here's the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...List_of_College_Football_Hall_of_Fame_coaches

I did not realize that Bob Reade was in the HoF. He certainly deserved it. He went 146-23-1 at Augustana in Rock Island and won 60 in a row at one point. He also had a dynasty at Geneseo High School going 146-21-4.

I think Ferentz gets in. Not only will they point to his success on the field, but they will point to his success in sending players to the NFL and all these silly intangibles like the money he donates to the school/hospital and they will (incorrectly) credit him with the wave.

I think Ferentz gets in. Not only will they point to his success on the field, but they will point to his success in sending players to the NFL and all these silly intangibles like the money he donates to the school/hospital and they will (incorrectly) credit him with the wave.
I sure hope not... Heck he and the team were the last to join the party when it came to participating in it. The opponents had been for a few wks before he felt pressured into it...

I did not realize that Bob Reade was in the HoF. He certainly deserved it. He went 146-23-1 at Augustana in Rock Island and won 60 in a row at one point. He also had a dynasty at Geneseo High School going 146-21-4.

Reade had some good teams at Geneseo, for sure., but it was basically (at the time) 3A ball, which was mid-class. Joliet Central Catholic (Gordon Gillespie) was the "icon" of IHSA while Reade was coaching high school ball.

I sure hope not... Heck he and the team were the last to join the party when it came to participating in it. The opponents had been for a few wks before he felt pressured into it...

I agree, but thats how things usually work. national voters won't remember how the wave started, they'll just remember it was awesome and that KF was the coach at the time. Kind of like how presidents get credit/blame for gas prices or the stock market.

I agree, but thats how things usually work. national voters won't remember how the wave started, they'll just remember it was awesome and that KF was the coach at the time. Kind of like how presidents get credit/blame for gas prices or the stock market.
Bet your right. as time goes on that's exactly how it'll go. Even for the folks that were here for it as it went down will forget unless reminded..

Why is donating to a fantastic cause silly? Care to rephrase hoss, because you made a dumb @$$ of a comment there

Why is donating to a fantastic cause silly? Care to rephrase hoss, because you made a dumb @$$ of a comment there

I think the context was not that donating to a charity is silly but rather the fact off-field activity would come into play when HOF voters consider whether a nominee is worthy of selection. Would voters also take into account the much-publicized disputes Kirk and Mary have had with their neighbors? That would be silly, too, seems to me.

I also think the whole donating to causes thing is a bit overblown. Don’t misunderstand: it’s great that Kirk and Mary give to the children’s hospital. Wonderful, and no doubt their support helps.

But at a certain income level all coaches, players and other wealthy individuals are looking at ways to defray their considerable taxes. Charitable causes certainly help.

I also think the whole donating to causes thing is a bit overblown. Don’t misunderstand: it’s great that Kirk and Mary give to the children’s hospital. Wonderful, and no doubt their support helps.

But at a certain income level all coaches, players and other wealthy individuals are looking at ways to defray their considerable taxes. Charitable causes certainly help.

Yes, but KF still loses money when he gives to charity. It's just that his income is so high he can be reimbursed for 39% of his donation in the form of a tax deduction.

So let's say KF donates $1M to charity. That means he gets a $390k deduction on his taxes. But in terms of net loss he still gave away $610k to charity. That's still a good chunk of change.

Dont be so dense. Because it has nothing to do with being a head football coach. It makes you a great person and deserving of praise, but it shouldn't impact your coaching hall of fame credentials.

Dont be so dense. Because it has nothing to do with being a head football coach. It makes you a great person and deserving of praise, but it shouldn't impact your coaching hall of fame credentials.

Much the same way that it would be sad to omit a guy like Woody Hayes because of an unfortunate punch, one that ended his coaching career.

But I think, on a deeper level, character should "count". To me, a Pete Carroll belongs nowhere near a "college" HOF. Then again, it would be hard for me to keep him out if Paterno is in. And frankly, I'd have a hard time keeping Paterno out. It would be one thing if we knew he was actively and continually covering up, but there is no concrete evidence to support that.

So I question if Kirk had coached at 3 different schools in the past 20 years with a similar total record if anyone would view him as any more than mediocre. I'm not a stats guy to the degree I know where to find things but I'd wager that there are 2-3 coaches with similar W/L records over 20 years that NO ONE would consider HOF coaches.

I guess I don't want to give too much credit to longevity. Look at the guys around Ferentz on this list. Are THEY HOF coaches?

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

Remember this for all the complaining about Kirk. He is at or above many of Hayden's numbers. Yes there have been some valley's but it could have been like Nebraska, Purdue or other teams that have moved on after good coaches. We whine and complain about the things that Iowa State dreams they had.

KF is a lock, watershed change in the game because of his style of coaching...paradigm shifter.

Returned to prominence the almost exclusive use of wide receivers as decoys.

Returned to prominence the utmost importance of a strong punting game.

Returned to prominence the idea that 6-6 is a "pretty good year"

Returned to prominence the idea that your son is the "best qualified" before applications and interviews begin.

Answers any poignant question with "gosh, some fans are always unhappy, makes this job tough, thought we had a pretty good year." (Sardonic, annoyed, offended, agitated smile included)

Latest posts