Is Kinnick to small, and wish for more night games?

I believe I read somewhere (maybe this board) that the infrastructure at Kinnick wouldn't hold a 2nd deck. Probably the only way it could be expanded would be in the endzones, which I think would make it look a little odd.

I have always thought they should fill in the corners, though. If that would add 4 to 5k I think it would be perfect.

Fill in the corners. We could easily sustain 4-5,000 more seats. Lets not forget we lost seats with the renovation. I would love 74,000 to 75,000 seats. You can add 5,000 seats, lower the ticket price $5 and increase demand as well as revenue.

Hard to say exactly what the exact "expansion capacity" might be.

How many people just stay away now because they can't find tickets, etc.

All I know is #1--I can get tickets pretty much whenever I need them, and #2--Kinnick is always full...

...sounds like we're at about the right size.

Last edited:
So if YOU can get tickets whenever you need them and because it is always full, Kinnick is the right size...Gotcha. Sounds logical enough...

They could add another deck around the south endzone, a vertical deck.

BUT...its fine where it is. This year's season ticket sales numbers are the absolute peak in history...you dont budget on that. You cannot expect that. Until you get your season ticket base to a 10k waiting list, you don't even consider expanding.

Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio are in the top 8 or so rank in state population in America. Wisconsin has over 5 millon people and there is no Wisky State.

Iowa is just at 3 million people, and there is an Iowa State.

So, going back to Jon's point for a second...following your logic, are you suggesting we "contract" Iowa State (a la MLB a few years back) so that we can add an upper deck to Kinnick?!?

Sign me up! ;)

Edit: OK, hold on a minute. Following MY logic, this new upperdeck would then be filled out by...former Clone fans??? Wow. I'm back at square one - let's just keep everything the way it is.

Last edited:
So if YOU can get tickets whenever you need them and because it is always full, Kinnick is the right size...Gotcha. Sounds logical enough...

Don't be an @$$. Has nothing to do with me personally. It's a matter of capitalism market place dynamics. Think it through:

Four logic scenarios:

#1—Stadium full, no tickets available anywhere, no consumers seeking tickets.
(Logic = Kinnick has reached full-market dynamics, no market place elasticity. Supply = demand)

#2—Stadium full, consumers seeking tickets.
(Logic = Kinnick could sustain more ticket sales (higher volume) until scenario #1 is realized)(Supply could increase to meet demand (demand > supply))(Current Kinnick dynamic)

#3—Stadium not full, tickets available.
(Logic = Program sucks. Iowa BB and/or ISU football dynamics)(Supply > demand)

#4—Stadium not full, no tickets available
(Logic = hoarding and tickets kept off market for whatever reason)

Last edited:
So if you're a business and you sell out of everything, the next logical step is to sell more (expand) or raise the price.

I would also say we have reached scenario #1. I tried to get season tickets and wasn't able to.

So if you're a business and you sell out of everything, the next logical step is to sell more (expand) or raise the price.

The point that Jon made was that you can't base that decision on the highest demand in your company's history. At this point, the high demand is nothing more than a statistical anomaly. It will inevitably return to the norm, which is not a high enough demand to expand. When there is sustained high demand, THEN you can create more supply. Otherwise, you're risking sitting on unsold product.

I would also say we have reached scenario #1. I tried to get season tickets and wasn't able to.
The fact you were seeking tickets eliminates your circumstances as being under model #1.

#2 is where we're at.

The trick the UI needs to figure out is to know how close to #1 they're at while in #2.

Scenario #1 says that the stadium is full, and no one is looking to get tickets. We definitely are not at that point.

Read the scenarios wrong. I understand its not easy to say yes we need more capacity or no we don't. If tickets are highly elastic than lowering the prices $5 there will be more than enough demand to fill the added capacity (in my suggestion 4,000-5,000 seats). Just how elastic they are is above my pay grade.

Read the scenarios wrong. I understand its not easy to say yes we need more capacity or no we don't. If tickets are highly elastic than lowering the prices $5 there will be more than enough demand to fill the added capacity (in my suggestion 4,000-5,000 seats). Just how elastic they are is above my pay grade.

I hated economics in college...

Like I said earlier, this is not the year to try and decide this. It would be like saying that Mark McGwire was the greatest homerun hitter because he hit 70 in one season.

Even in late in the 2008 season, there were large empty areas around the stadium. And I can't imagine that the sight was better late in '06 and all of '07. 2009 had higher expectations, and in 2010 the expectations are as high or higher than even 1985. Therefore, people want to be there to say they saw the Hawks beat Ohio State to go 11-0 and all but lock up a spot in the NCG. But when the expectations drop below those once a generation levels, is expansion still worth it?

As far as night games go, I'm OK with one or two a year. It means it's a big game and we're primetime on ESPN probably.

Now that I live in IC, I don't have to waste an entire day driving home on a Sunday anymore, so getting up early on a Sunday after partying late Saturday doesn't come into play.

Trying to get out of a tailgate spot after a night game suxx.

What I didn't like when I was driving 4-5 hours to IC for games was the 11am start. 1 pm was perfect.

Also, you have your base. Use the last 5 years, use the last 10. I do know we have sold out everygame for 3 of the last 6 years. I also know that they have sold out 31 out of the last 34 games.
2006 70,585 SOLD OUT
2007 70,585 SOLD OUT
2008 70,169 6 Games Sold Out
2009 70,214 5 Games Sold Out
2010 70,585 SOLD OUT

As far as night games go, I'm OK with one or two a year. It means it's a big game and we're primetime on ESPN probably.

Now that I live in IC, I don't have to waste an entire day driving home on a Sunday anymore, so getting up early on a Sunday after partying late Saturday doesn't come into play.

Trying to get out of a tailgate spot after a night game suxx.

What I didn't like when I was driving 4-5 hours to IC for games was the 11am start. 1 pm was perfect.

I personally love night games but I understand why the university would consider them such a pain. Excessive drunkenness, parts of the city shut down for large parts of the day, massive traffic concerns after the game, bringing in lighting for the stadium. It's like I said, we should consider ourselves lucky we usually get one a year.

They could add another deck around the south endzone, a vertical deck.

BUT...its fine where it is. This year's season ticket sales numbers are the absolute peak in history...you dont budget on that. You cannot expect that. Until you get your season ticket base to a 10k waiting list, you don't even consider expanding.

Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio are in the top 8 or so rank in state population in America. Wisconsin has over 5 millon people and there is no Wisky State.

Iowa is just at 3 million people, and there is an Iowa State.

There's a what? When did this happen???

Architecturally speaking, I can see why Kinnick is viewed sometimes as a glorified high school stadium. For me, there's too much attention drawn to the fairly "bleh" East West stands. But 70K is no joke. That said, Oregon's Autzen stadium has a capacity of 54,000 and passes the eyeball test and is loud as hell. And architecturally it looks like a small pro stadium.

I wouldn't trade Kinnick for anything--I love our brickwork most--but I can understand why some folks view it as a less dazzling, blander venue when compared to places like Camp Randall or Nebraska's Memorial Stadium.

Latest posts