Is Kinnick to small, and wish for more night games?

This might look tacky, but the east side could be expanded on top of Hawkins. Could pull a Wrigley and put bleacher seats on top of the hospital. I have a feeling it wouldn't quite be the same knowing a guy is having a hernea removed 2 levels below you.

Also, you have your base. Use the last 5 years, use the last 10. I do know we have sold out everygame for 3 of the last 6 years. I also know that they have sold out 31 out of the last 34 games.
2006 70,585 SOLD OUT
2007 70,585 SOLD OUT
2008 70,169 6 Games Sold Out
2009 70,214 5 Games Sold Out
2010 70,585 SOLD OUT

So how many unfilled requests did they turn down each season?

So how many unfilled requests did they turn down each season?

And how many fans didn't actually use their tickets, just purchased them? That doesn't change anything financially, but it does impact whether or not expansion is necessary.

In 2002 (arguably Iowa's best season ever). We had a meager 54,000 show up for the opener against Akron. We only sold out 2 games that year (ISU, Wisconsin). So even in a terrific season we had a hard time selling tickets. There is little reason to expand beyond 70,000 at this point. Sure you would sell out ISU, Wisconsin, Ohio St. But the lesser games would leave thousands of very noticeable empty seats. Expansion could be considered IMO at some point in the near future, but at this time I don't think its necessary.

Can somebody with some serious skills do some calculations on the feasiblility of expanding Kinnick? I'm not saying we could absolutely support it (5 sellouts per year every year) but i would be interested to see the numbers for or against. I'm not worried about not selling out Montana, Akron, Ark. St, etc. of the world. Use 74,000-75,000 as your expansion capacity. Use current ticket prices, as well as tickets prices discounted $5. For your data go back 10 years 2001-2010. If anyone is up to the challenge, let me know and I will get you attendance numbers from 2001-2010, and I will try to big up ticket prices.

Kinnick is awfully damn impressive, IMO ... concrete is ugly

The difference with almost all of the really big stadiums is that the have surrounding space to support an upper deck. If we were ever going to have an upper deck, they should have done it on the west stands when they redid the press box (they kinda did with those outside suite seats) ... as someone mentioned, the only options left are filling in the corners or a Wrigley-style extension over the sidewalks. The only place they could add a deck is the South EZ, and to do that they'd have to rework the scoreboard, and I don't think they are in any hurry to do that

70k is small?

You listed 3 of the largest sports facilities not just college football, but the world. Kinnick is still in the Top 100 largest stadiums by capacity in the world.

I personally like it how it is now, the thing that makes Kinnick so great is that the fans are virtually on top of the field. Making it any bigger may take away some of that illusion.

You listed 3 of the largest sports facilities not just college football, but the world. Kinnick is still in the Top 100 largest stadiums by capacity in the world.

Kinnick is 78th in the world (LINK)

plenty big for now

Kinnick is 78th in the world (LINK)

plenty big for now

I agree. I think it's also one of the top 25 university stadiums (in terms of capacity). I don't think it's "small."

It's just that we're comparing it to three enormous stadiums in UM, PSU, and OSU.

I think 70k is fine, and agree with others that it can be more about acoustics/design than the number of people in the stadium when it comes to the amount of noise.

Take Carver Hawkeye.. Without looking it up, I'll wager that it holds more than the old Field House, yet I've read several comments that they thought the field house was far noiser.

Regarding night games - I love 'em, but don't over do it. Keep it special. Maybe 2 per year would be nice. The ISU game maybe, and against one of our better conference opponents (OSU, Michigan or Wisconsin maybe). Or 2 conference games possibly in the years where we don't have ISU in Kinnick.

One reason I like night games is because it gives me something to look forward to all day on Saturdays, and the whole day builds up to it. On the other hand, sometimes it's nice to be able to get out of bed, shower, and finish breakfast just as the game is coming on. Unfortunately, if the Hawks lose, it can kind of set a bad tone for the rest of the day if they play early. But it can work the opposite - a win means a good mood all day.

Last edited:
It doesnt matter if someone didnt use their tickets. No way anyone can control that.

We "sold out" Kinnick all the time, even when we were bad. But the stand were remarkably empty for sell outs. Our fans seems especially fickle. I'd rather have a packed house and have there be people who wanted tickets and couldn't get them than have a bigger house that doesn't get filled when the team isn't good (even if all the tickets were sold).

I dont like night games for any football game to be honest. I like it best at 11 am on a Saturday morning.

if the Iowa -Isucks game was at 7:05 our student section would be half full cause half the students would be passed out by that time, let alone it would be an extremely dangerous ride home.

I love going to night games at kinnick because of the atmosphere and it nationally publicizes our program but I dont think the iowa isucks game should ever be at night. If that were to happen barta would probably supply every person taking tickets at kinnick with a breathalyzer, and nobody wants to get tuned down from watching the hawks because they drank too much kool-aid. :)