Is Iowa State the best team in the state?

Being the best college basketball team in Iowa is about as impressive as being the best downhill skier in Kansas.

That was a good one

I think ISU has quality guards, with depth, that will be able to keep them in some games that they may have no business in. DG looks like he belongs in this system rather than in McDermott's system.

They will run into some teams that will abuse them down low and will probably struggle on the road because they will rely heavily on knocking down the three. I think they will be pretty tough at home though and bring back a true home court advantage.

Either way, its refreshing for both schools to see a different brand of basketball. I'd rather get beat running and gunning rather than holding the ball for 32 seconds and jacking up a desperation three.

I watched the game last night and came away impressed. Their offense is incredibly smooth and their spacing is beautiful. It's early, but I will be shocked if they come in last in the Big 12 like everyone in the pre-season predicted. They are a seasoned big man short of making a run at a top half finish in conference...probably finish somewhere around 8th or 9th. Like I said in an earlier post, they will be salty next year when all the transfers become eligible.

Drake has been underwhelming since Keno left. They had some magic there thanks to Mr. Davis, but they won't get back to that level again. Just not good enough.

Drake has been underwhelming since Keno left. They had some magic there thanks to Mr. Davis, but they won't get back to that level again. Just not good enough.

So has Iowa. I'm thinking the Davis' knew how to work their magic. Iowa hasn't had a season like Davis ever had since he left. Not sure we can get back to that level. Big Ten is a different pedigree 12 years later. No more balance in recruiting, Iowa just doesn't have the dogs to compete for titles because they all want to go elsewhere. The 2012 class will be really tell if Iowa will be able to survive. If Fran doesn't work out, I'm not sure Iowa ever recovers (The "New Northwestern").

So has Iowa. I'm thinking the Davis' knew how to work their magic. Iowa hasn't had a season like Davis ever had since he left. Not sure we can get back to that level. Big Ten is a different pedigree 12 years later. No more balance in recruiting, Iowa just doesn't have the dogs to compete for titles because they all want to go elsewhere. The 2012 class will be really tell if Iowa will be able to survive. If Fran doesn't work out, I'm not sure Iowa ever recovers (The "New Northwestern").

Iowa won two Big Ten (tournament) titles since Davis left. So it hasn't all been bad.

Drake had to work hard to allow Christopherson to go off like that! To say that ISU has quality guards is a bit premature at best. Neither proved much of anything against any level of competition a year ago. It remains to be seen how well either performs over the course of this season.

SA had a couple good years at Iowa. The team that got the 3 seed in the tourney was at the top of what Mr. Davis did. Postseason sucked, but the regular season matched or did better than some of Mr. Davis's best year. (I'm not advocating SA was great, just saying it hasn't been 12 years since Iowa was there).

There was balance in recruiting 12 years ago? Could have fooled me.

Iowa will not become the New Northwestern, no matter how much you Chicken Little.

Latest posts