Is Fran the answer?

Summary of Iowa message boards...

Iowa starts 2-0 ... We're going to finish 2nd in the B1G!
Iowa goes to 2-1 ... FIRE EVERYBODY!!!

Lot's of bandwagon jumpers as expected. Question for all of you calling for Fran's head... Name me 2 teams in the B1G who are consistent every night out? You can't expect to win many games when the opponent goes 8-8 in a half from 3. Fran took responsibility for part of that, but there isn't much you can do about it.

If Iowa can win 2 of the next 5, they will be in good shape to make the tournament.

I was picking Iowa at 9-9 before last night's game, and that hasn't changed.

Next year we lose White and Olaseni. Clearly our two best players.

How can anyone like the direction this program is headed?

This is how the season is going to go. Some nights will be tough to watch while others will be lights out wondering how we don't play that way all the time. With the B1G the way it is, ever game should be a battle as well. Iowa gets back to the tourney this year and I think we start hitting on some bigger name recruits.

Not sure if we've really been "lights out"? Feels like every game is a grind. We really haven't shot "lights out" (like MSU did last night) in any game I can remember. We usually have to rely on our frontline getting to the foul line and playing good defense. Which, if that is what it takes to win is fine...I just wouldn't call any games I've seen "lights out". One would think we're overdue for a 10-18 night from 3pt range though in a big game. But I've been saying that for 4 years now.

Not going to lie, the lack of quality guard play is problematic, there are guys out there who can give you what you need at the D-1 level. Something isn't right, recruiting/development........Something is off........I dunno, maybe an asst. or two needs to be switched out.

I was picking Iowa at 9-9 before last night's game, and that hasn't changed.

8 to 10 wins and no NCAA tournament is what I felt after the non con season. Unfortunately I think I'm right. The team has way too many issues to be much above .500 in conference play, even though the conference is down.

Uthoff is a better player than White, but White is the leader of this team.

I think next year, it will be interesting to see how the 2015 recruiting class looks. And then see how good of a class Fran can get lined up for 2016.

The program is headed in the right direction, but has had some setbacks out of the coaches control.

If we win 9 more games Fran will have 3 straight years of 20 win seasons. This firing talk is nonsense. Does the team have some issues? Yes. Does the team have some ability? Yes.

Yes, and this year we lost Marble. Clearly our best player last year. Sheesh, I guess we should have just forfeited this year. I suppose you predicted Olaseni would be our second best player this year, huh?

I'm right there with you. Said after the 2-0 start that I thought we would finish 10-8. Still stand by that.

Yep, my initial pick was 8-10 in conference, being 1-2 at this point. I didn't expect the win @OSU, so being one game ahead of my prediction (2-1), I upgraded my prediction to 9-9. I had last night's game as a loss, so that loss didn't change anything for me.

I just don't see how you fire a coach when he's pretty much tied for the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. Of course he's tied with about 8 other teams but still...

I come in peace...

I have a theory. Every basketball fan in Iowa has seen Fran blow up on the sideline. It has become his signature. Do you think he does this to only refs or might he do it to his players? I think these players are afraid to make a mistake because they don't want to feel the wrath of Fran. Kids don't respond to that type of coaching these days. They are playing tight.

Just a theory.

I come in peace...

I have a theory. Every basketball fan in Iowa has seen Fran blow up on the sideline. It has become his signature. Do you think he does this to only refs or might he do it to his players? I think these players are afraid to make a mistake because they don't want to feel the wrath of Fran. Kids don't respond to that type of coaching these days. They are playing tight.

Just a theory.

It's way beyond that, at some point you just tune that out and go play your game. The problem is that no one really has any game on this team. The guards are terrible, White is a one-dimensional player who's one dimension is free throw shooting. Woodbury is Woodbury, mentally weak and slow. Uthoff, so soft, just mushy soft. Jok is the only player on the team that looks and plays like what I think of when someone says "basketball player" on this team.

I come in peace...

Just a theory.
Ding, ding, ding I think we have a winner here. I have heard rumors of an open practice with coaches from a clinic and Fran was a mad man...poor language, belittling players...if that is the case that might explain the lack of emotion and the hanging of the heads constantly.

I think Wolfgang hit it on the head during his and Jon's podcast. If this years team doesn't make the NCAA tourney, we are in big, big trouble. That would be 1 appearance in 5 years, and year 6 is gonna be a struggle anyway. We are going to have to rely on Gesell, Woody and Clemmons next year........YIKES.

Iowa is in much better shape now then it has been in the last decade. Iowa is the only team with two road wins over top 25 teams in the country. We knew this team would have issues shooting the ball on some nights. Losing to MSU sucks but there's a lot of B1G season left. I think Fran has a good group coming in and the future looks bright personally.

This.

Agree.

People on this board were talking about going 0-6 to start conference play. ZERO and SIX. We are 2-1. We could probably go 3-3 or even 4-2 (ok, that's doubtful) in the toughest third of the conference season. Given that, I think it's going to be OK.

No one was talking about contending for the conference this year, and rightfully so. But I don't see how this team has done anything but exceed expectations so far. Now, I realize that continued low expectations may lead one to believe that a change is in order ... but I'm good with letting this season play out. If we collapse, there's an obvious issue. If not, and a few things go right, maybe Fran has a bright future here.

I think there's a very good chance we will be 3-1. Minnesota (0-3) has a game at Michigan tomorrow. That's 2 extra days of prep and rest for the Hawks. I realize it's a road game but this team doesn't seem to care all that much. It seems like they play at about the same level home, neutral or away. And White rarely struggles in consecutive games.

So how many years of failure will it take for you to stop banging that quickly dwindling in size drum? It's over, this team is done now and next year is going to be a huge step down. Just like in football this would have been a great year to make hay with a down conference, looks like they'll be making poop sandwiches again instead.

Fran had a disadvantage when he came to Iowa with recruiting. His First couple of classes he was just starting to develop relationships with the players. Two years ago Iowa only had one scholarship, and last year Iowa had three. Uhl, Ellingson, and Dickerson all look like they can bring a lot to a team. The guys coming in next year all look like solid players. They should be fun to watch.

Latest posts