Is Fran the answer?

Fran got out-coached in the 2nd half.
When Izzo didn't call that TO in the 1st half, when almost 99% of coaches would, Izzo knew that his team was going to win the game.

In what way did Fran get outcoached? One team shot 70% from 3 while the other shot 17%. So tell us what secret shooting strategy Izzo threw at Fran that just completely blindsided him.

Or was it that Iowa got outplayed?

Just a question....it seems that it's been forever that are goal has been simply to "make" the tournament. How many years/decades has it been that since our goal was to go "deep" in the tournament? I think that kind of answers the question of where we are at right now with Fran.

In what way did Fran get outcoached? One team shot 70% from 3 while the other shot 17%. So tell us what secret shooting strategy Izzo threw at Fran that just completely blindsided him.

Or was it that Iowa got outplayed?

It is Fran's responsibility to recruit players. Until he can seal the deal on a D1 point guard we will continue to ride the roller coaster

It is Fran's responsibility to recruit players. Until he can seal the deal on a D1 point guard we will continue to ride the roller coaster

Spending the time he did on Ullis only to have KU come in a swoop him up doesn't help matters. Fran can recruit and will eventually land that big name guy.

I wonder about his teams intelligence and mental toughness... however I'm not sure I can blame him.

I want to vomit after hearing about how much White and whoever study the game so much.

I've never seen a team that lacks so much common sense on a basketball court.

If Trice makes a step back off the dribble 3 you can kind of expect that... but how many wide open looks he got after he started getting hot... was just a flat out failure of any ounce of having a effing clue on a basketball court by the hawkeyes.

I hope like hellz this team makes the NCAA, but if Fran doesn't make the NCAA tournament this year, I think he should be gone. 5 years is 2 years longer than you should need in college BB to build a winner.

It is about results, and we should be getting them right now in year 5. Any deficiency this team has, it is squarely on Fran's shoulders. This is the roster he built, these are the player he recruited. Plus if they don't make the NCAA's this year, how will they make it in year 6 without White, and Olesani??

Just a question....it seems that it's been forever that are goal has been simply to "make" the tournament. How many years/decades has it been that since our goal was to go "deep" in the tournament? I think that kind of answers the question of where we are at right now with Fran.

Actually that would have been Tom Davis's first season with George Ravelings recruits. I was just talking to a close friend about the last time Iowa went to a final four. I believe it would have been around 1980 or so with Ronnie Lester and gang. That was thirty-five years ago........... YIKES!!!!! "35" :(

No. If we're having this discussion in Year 5, then the answer can't be in the affirmative. Not enough talent. Questionable coaching. And just WTF does Fran do to these guys at halftime that they come out so flat in the second half? It boggles the mind.

Just once -- ONCE -- it would be nice to see a Fran McCaffrey-coached Iowa team come busting out of the gate in the second half and put a team like MSU away early.

Iowa is in much better shape now then it has been in the last decade. Iowa is the only team with two road wins over top 25 teams in the country. We knew this team would have issues shooting the ball on some nights. Losing to MSU sucks but there's a lot of B1G season left. I think Fran has a good group coming in and the future looks bright personally.

Totally agree.

Fran is an above avg coach in the top ranks of college ball. he has the resume.

But he cant friggin shoot the ball for these guys.

Who is the one recruiting and playing these players.....once again that falls on Fran, he is NOT an above average coach in the top ranks of college BBall that is for sure....he is barely average and his adjustments are a total joke, he needs to GO!

Spending the time he did on Ullis only to have KU come in a swoop him up doesn't help matters. Fran can recruit and will eventually land that big name guy.

No he can't he is TERRIBLE at recruiting the results are right in front of us and next years class was once again bottom of the BIG...

I give Fran the benefit of the doubt. He has shown he's not afraid to go after the big boys on the recruiting front (kirk doesn't even try). I just look back 5 years ago and think about that team that Lick was sending onto the floor and you can see the product has certainly gotten drastically better. Now I want to be a lock each and every year for the tourney just like the next guy. I think nights like last night are going to happen to any team. Didn't they start off going 8-8 from 3? That's sick and a bit lucky. Iowa State did the same thing to us. Most teams live and die by the three and we are on the dying side of it more often than not. The law of averages will catch up and we will be fine. R-E-L-A-X is all ...

I see most of you expected to go 18-0 in conference this year. Guys, we just lost to MSU when they got absolutely HOT in the last 10 minutes. Trice wouldn't hit 8 of 9 in an empty gym. It's not like we just got run by Northwestern, folks. We're 2-1 so far with some big wins over OSU and Nebraska. I would imagine that most, if not all, of you while looking at the beginning of the conference schedule would have taken 2-1 after the first three games.

Last edited:
We're 2-1 so far with some big wins over OSU and Nebraska. I would imagine that most, in not all, of you while looking at the beginning of the conference schedule would have taken 2-1 after the first three games.

Agree.

People on this board were talking about going 0-6 to start conference play. ZERO and SIX. We are 2-1. We could probably go 3-3 or even 4-2 (ok, that's doubtful) in the toughest third of the conference season. Given that, I think it's going to be OK.

No one was talking about contending for the conference this year, and rightfully so. But I don't see how this team has done anything but exceed expectations so far. Now, I realize that continued low expectations may lead one to believe that a change is in order ... but I'm good with letting this season play out. If we collapse, there's an obvious issue. If not, and a few things go right, maybe Fran has a bright future here.

Iowa is in much better shape now then it has been in the last decade. Iowa is the only team with two road wins over top 25 teams in the country. We knew this team would have issues shooting the ball on some nights. Losing to MSU sucks but there's a lot of B1G season left. I think Fran has a good group coming in and the future looks bright personally.

Let me throw this out there.. Our backcourt is weak, and our strength is our front court. Well, we lose White & Olaseni after this year, so we'll have to lean on Woodbury a lot next year. Who else will be able to bang in the paint? Who plays in the paint when Woody needs a rest, gets in foul trouble, or gets injured?

The group coming in next year may turn out to be solid, but looking at the class again, it's three small forwards and one shooting guard. There is literally no one coming in at point guard, and no bigs.

My concern is that next year, the back court is going to be just as shaky (unless someone steps up, which I know we can't write off) but we are losing a lot of our front court. So where will Iowa be strong in 2015-16?

What about 2016-17 when Woody, Gesell and Clemmons are gone? It's hard to look too far ahead since we don't know what recruiting will bring, but I'm less optimistic than you are about next year and beyond. I like Fran and he's done a good job of making us competitive again, but have we hit the ceiling, and about to drop back a bit again? That's my fear.

I'm not TRYING to be negative, but if I look at it objectively, this is the way I see things right now. I'm not talking about this year, just the future.

Last edited:
Summary of Iowa message boards...

Iowa starts 2-0 ... We're going to finish 2nd in the B1G!
Iowa goes to 2-1 ... FIRE EVERYBODY!!!

Lot's of bandwagon jumpers as expected. Question for all of you calling for Fran's head... Name me 2 teams in the B1G who are consistent every night out? You can't expect to win many games when the opponent goes 8-8 in a half from 3. Fran took responsibility for part of that, but there isn't much you can do about it.

If Iowa can win 2 of the next 5, they will be in good shape to make the tournament.

Latest posts