Is Fran And Iowa Basketball At A Tipping Point?

You're free to just throw out the last five seasons during which Iowa, Michigan State and Wisconsin are the only teams in the Big Ten to have an above .500 record each year. Just judge Fran after 11 games of Year 8. That seems reasonable. No other teams in the country have dips. And passive aggressive tksirius is liking all your posts, so you have that going for you, too.

Fran only has 3 seasons with a winning Big Ten record and one of them was last season which didn't even get us to the tournament.

Or, it's being a reasonable observer of the situation and actually waiting for things to unfold. I know. Crazy in this hot take society.

Waiting for things isn't how it unfolds in the real world with much much lower salaries and no golden parachute.

Waiting for things isn't how it unfolds in the real world with much much lower salaries and no golden parachute.

The program experiences a tough start to the season, fire the staff because it might be a trend. It's nice to know you guys can see the future. Perhaps you can give Kreskin a run for his money.

Fran only has 3 seasons with a winning Big Ten record and one of them was last season which didn't even get us to the tournament.

I'll leave this here for you again in case you missed it:

Iowa is one of only three teams to have posted a Big Ten record of .500 or better each of the last five seasons (Michigan State and Wisconsin).

I'm out of this convo guys. Keep those pitchforks ready.

I'll leave this here for you again in case you missed it:

Iowa is one of only three teams to have posted a Big Ten record of .500 or better each of the last five seasons (Michigan State and Wisconsin).

I'm out of this convo guys. Keep those pitchforks ready.

You said above .500 record in what I replied to and I'm not really sure why that matters because in those 5 years he turned that into two Tournament appearances and a play in game appearance.

You said above .500 record in what I replied to and I'm not really sure why that matters because in those 5 years he turned that into two Tournament appearances and a play in game appearance.
Surely, there are better stats during the McCaffery era to use in a debate...

Hate to say it, but Iowa has been unwatchable, at times, the times they have been on television. No doubt, they had a nice 2nd half last night, against.......Southern:confused:. Hey, better than losing and maybe Conner can help even some things out. But, the trust bank is low right now. They have a lot of proving to do.

Yep Very true no argument..

Last edited:
Well Rob it is year 8. Should Iowa be okay with this until year 15?

Who cares what year it is unless you think we should never have down years? We are done rebuilding so it doesn't matter what year it is anymore. From now on, we are going to have ups and downs just like every other program. It's time to start debating whether our ups are high enough and if our lows are too low. Yet for some reason, people keep saying we should be better than this by now. We were better than this by now. We were better in year 4, 5, 6, and 7.

When people say we should be better by year 8, it implies that this is the best we've been. Learn how to argue people. Say "we have reached our ceiling with Fran" like some people have been saying for the last 5 years. At least people don't sound incredibly stupid when they say that like they do when they say "it's year 8, it shouldn't take this long".

Surely, there are better stats during the McCaffery era to use in a debate...

I think conference record is the 3rd most important stat. Right behind number of tournament appearances and overall record. So having his conference record is a big deal. Especially since the conference was as good as it's been in decades during most of that 5 year span.

Oh, wow....over .500. When's the parade down Capitol street.
average-slide8b.gif

Oh, wow....over .500. When's the parade down Capitol street.

The point is, 11 teams can't say that. Every team but 2 have had worse down years than us over the last 5 years. That's pretty good considering Fran has only been here 7 full seasons. He was one game away from making the tourney 5 years ago (got hosed bad by refs in the Big 10 tourney) and he was one game away from making it last year (got hosed bad against Minnesota). He was that close to making it 5 straight years. To me, that says his lows are plenty good enough. His highs need to be better tho.

I wonder if the people who are making fun of that stat would be happy if we made the tourney the last 5 years, but had a worse conference record. My guess is those people would just complain about the conference record because they are never happy about anything.

The point is, 11 teams can't say that. Every team but 2 have had worse down years than us over the last 5 years. That's pretty good considering Fran has only been here 7 full seasons. He was one game away from making the tourney 5 years ago (got hosed bad by refs in the Big 10 tourney) and he was one game away from making it last year (got hosed bad against Minnesota). He was that close to making it 5 straight years. To me, that says his lows are plenty good enough. His highs need to be better tho.
tumblr_ljb7roYMJu1qh5pnuo1_500.gif

Isn't there one year where we cant just put it all together?:) But, I get what you are saying PC. Fran will get more time. We shall see.

"close"...the favorite word of failures everywhere

Latest posts