Is Ferentz entitled to a losing season?

I never said anything on how well I thought they would be before the season and I do not see what class they are in makes a difference. There have been many comments made on how well the OL was and if you watched the games you would see it for yourself. Before the injuries they were opening up HUGE holes and I do not think Vandy was sacked since the Northern Illinois game.

Originally posted by okeefe4prez
Absolutely. We had a bunch of staff changes that virtually everyone on this board wanted and now no one wants to deal with the fallout. I told everyone O'Keefe was the glue on the staff, but no one believed me. Sorry guys, but if we ran O'Keefe's "simple" and "boring" offense we would probably be 7-2 or 6-3 right now.
This.

Originally posted by GhostofBTT
That ironing is delicious to me. The fact that he got a new staff like the fans wanted then changed schemes like the fans wanted only to fail miserably gives me a troll boner. I hate that they're losing, but I love the way everyone is torching Kirk for doing what they've been demanding he do for years.

If anything, he should get another raise for being a figurehead to these mouthbreathers. It can't be easy work, and I'm glad I don't have to do it.
And this.

I've got the same mixed feelings. "Do it our way coach, and it better work or we're holding you responsible." Geniuses. The same people begged, pleaded and whined for Ferentz to stay when he was rumored for NFL jobs and are now crying because he makes too much money. Give me a break. How do you expect to keep a coach in Iowa City? The grass isn't always greener folks.

Originally posted by okeefe4prez
No, really, it's okay. KF's job is to recruit and coach a bunch of 18-22 year old kids in a game. For me, seeing my friends and family at games is more important than going to the game itself. There are things I can change in my life, if I don't like my job, I can get a new one. If I don't like my car, I can buy a new one. If I don't like my neighbors, I can move. But there is not a single thing I can do to change the fact that my favorite football team hired a terrible offensive coordinator and that my favorite football team has some talent deficiencies, many of which are no fault of KF. Losing is an option, it happens to exactly half of the teams in college football every week. Just enjoy it while it is good.
I wish more people had this perspective. And, no, people of this opinion aren't saying "we're little ol' Iowa" or that we should lower our expectations. Simply put, football goes in cycles for the majority of teams. Rarely do things go exactly as planned, and the game is tough enough to be successful at. You have to take a bit of good with the bad, and realize it isn't the end of the world. This year happened to be the perfect storm with changes and lack of personnel.

The fact that he got a new staff like the fans wanted then changed schemes like the fans wanted only to fail miserably gives me a troll boner. I hate that they're losing, but I love the way everyone is torching Kurt for doing what they've been demanding he do for years.

I disagree. The fans wanted less conservative on offense, not more.

If your wife rags on you for drinking too much Busch Light, switching to whiskey probably isn't the change she was clamoring for.

At least after this season we may not be hearing about how "we always lose to a team that we shouldn't", because right now the way were playing we're performing at a level capable of beating anyone.

At least after this season we may not be hearing about how "we always lose to a team that we shouldn't", because right now the way were playing we're performing at a level capable of beating anyone.

We are the team others shouldn't lose to.

I disagree. The fans wanted less conservative on offense, not more.

If your wife rags on you for drinking too much Busch Light, switching to whiskey probably isn't the change she was clamoring for.

If you ran this offense, would you try and take more risks? What do you see that makes you want to open things up more? Is it the inaccurate QB? The slow WRs? The TE's who drop half the passes? The 4th string RB starting games?

Absolutely ... at $3.7 million a year I say Kirk is entitled to a four-win season every now and then. Absolutely! Losing to a MAC team ranked #116 by USA Today (Central Michigan) ... Of course! Giving a Big 10 team its first back-to back Big 10 wins in how many years? Without a doubt! Losing to ISU ... Yes, I say! Senior-laden team, soph-laden team ... we have seen it from both fronts ... Clayborn, Ballard, Angerer ... Loaded team ... very average performance ... We keep heading south ... I say Kirk should be given at least five more years of mediocre football ... He has earned it!

Absolutely ... at $3.7 million a year I say Kirk is entitled to a four-win season every now and then. Absolutely! Losing to a MAC team ranked #116 by USA Today (Central Michigan) ... Of course! Giving a Big 10 team its first back-to back Big 10 wins in how many years? Without a doubt! Losing to ISU ... Yes, I say! Senior-laden team, soph-laden team ... we have seen it from both fronts ... Clayborn, Ballard, Angerer ... Loaded team ... very average performance ... We keep heading south ... I say Kirk should be given at least five more years of mediocre football ... He has earned it!

Nice rant, except when Angerer was a senior the Hawks went 11-2 and won the Orange Bowl. If you are gonna flame, at least get the facts right.

It seems a significant portion of us interwebz fanbase is ready to get rid of him but hasn't Ferentz earned the right (so to speak) after all the success he has had to have a losing season? I say yes - after all in 1989 ten years into his career at Iowa Fry went 5-6.

Of course many weren't around and don't appreciate anything but recent history, but if you'd lived through the days from EVY to Fry, you would understand how good things have been under Ferentz. You don't realize what bad is.

Dumbest thread possibly in the history of hawkeyenation.

No coach has ever EARNED the right to have a losing season.. that is just stupid thinking...

If you ran this offense, would you try and take more risks? What do you see that makes you want to open things up more? Is it the inaccurate QB? The slow WRs? The TE's who drop half the passes? The 4th string RB starting games?

If we have such untalented players, you shouldn't run plays that require them to make a play in order to get more than 2 yards.

Also, the fact that we have such terrible players is an indictment of the coach, is it not?

Also, the fact that we have such terrible players is an indictment of the coach, is it not?

Which coach? Or coaches? And are they now gone? I'd like those questions answered, and I think they're going to be answered in the next two seasons.

If we have such untalented players, you shouldn't run plays that require them to make a play in order to get more than 2 yards.

Obviously yes, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. I'm 10 times more disturbed that the players are unable to execute than I am the plays are boring and/or predictable.

Absolutely. We had a bunch of staff changes that virtually everyone on this board wanted and now no one wants to deal with the fallout. I told everyone O'Keefe was the glue on the staff, but no one believed me. Sorry guys, but if we ran O'Keefe's "simple" and "boring" offense we would probably be 7-2 or 6-3 right now.

To say KOK was the glue is such an absurd piece of psychobable it's beyond comment. We've underperformed the last 3 years of KOK's tenure...so what's your point about staff TO. Fact is last year's team was a disappointment they were lucky to be 7-5. The year prior to that people had them as a sleeper for National Championship with their schedule and we found them in the INSIGHT BOWL. Are you freaking kidding me O4P?! Pull your head out.

Of course many weren't around and don't appreciate anything but recent history, but if you'd lived through the days from EVY to Fry, you would understand how good things have been under Ferentz. You don't realize what bad is.

Old guy gonna old.

To say KOK was the glue is such an absurd piece of psychobable it's beyond comment. We've underperformed the last 3 years of KOK's tenure...so what's your point about staff TO. Fact is last year's team was a disappointment they were lucky to be 7-5. The year prior to that people had them as a sleeper for National Championship with their schedule and we found them in the INSIGHT BOWL. Are you freaking kidding me O4P?! Pull your head out.

The last 3 years of KOK's tenure were 2009, 2010 and 2011. We did lose to Northwestern in 2009, but I thought the 11-2 record was not underperformance. In 2010 and 2011, the defense got pretty bad. The offense in 2010 wasn't bad, but the defense that could close out games was gone. 2011 wasn't great, but there certainly hasn't been player turnover to warrant the approximately 20 TD drop in passing TDs year over year - that is all on Davis, dude.

Latest posts