Is Ferentz entitled to a losing season?

PJHawk

It seems a significant portion of us interwebz fanbase is ready to get rid of him but hasn't Ferentz earned the right (so to speak) after all the success he has had to have a losing season? I say yes - after all in 1989 ten years into his career at Iowa Fry went 5-6.

Yes, however I think the fact his teams never live up to expectations hurts him. His good years have come when there haven't been any expectations. If the 2010 team only went 10-2(very reasonable for that year) he wouldn't be getting near the noise he is getting.

Now I will say something people who say "Kurt" or "kurk" will say, he already has his 1 losing season.

It seems a significant portion of us interwebz fanbase is ready to get rid of him but hasn't Ferentz earned the right (so to speak) after all the success he has had to have a losing season? I say yes - after all in 1989 ten years into his career at Iowa Fry went 5-6.

Absolutely. We had a bunch of staff changes that virtually everyone on this board wanted and now no one wants to deal with the fallout. I told everyone O'Keefe was the glue on the staff, but no one believed me. Sorry guys, but if we ran O'Keefe's "simple" and "boring" offense we would probably be 7-2 or 6-3 right now.

Absolutely. We had a bunch of staff changes that virtually everyone on this board wanted and now no one wants to deal with the fallout. I told everyone O'Keefe was the glue on the staff, but no one believed me. Sorry guys, but if we ran O'Keefe's "simple" and "boring" offense we would probably be 7-2 or 6-3 right now.

That ironing is delicious to me. The fact that he got a new staff like the fans wanted then changed schemes like the fans wanted only to fail miserably gives me a troll boner. I hate that they're losing, but I love the way everyone is torching Kurt for doing what they've been demanding he do for years.

If anything, he should get another raise for being a figurehead to these mouthbreathers. It can't be easy work, and I'm glad I don't have to do it.

BINGO!

I am not ready to show KF the door just yet but I do hope he fixes the offense. IMO it is inexcusable to have a senior QB, senior WR, talented TE's, (was before injuries) one of the best offensive lines and to have this kind of performance. The play calling as been atrocious as I have ever seen it from running into 8/9 man fronts to running the same play over and over after it has failed to work. Coming into this season I was worried about the defense and thought Iowa would have to outscore the other team in order to win. I did not have high expectations for this season, 6/7 wins was where I thought Iowa would be at, but how they have gotten to this point needs to be fixed going into next season.

That ironing is delicious to me. .

Mmmmmm. ironing.
iron2.jpg

Last edited:
A losing season with a tough schedule yes, a losing season with losses to Central Michigan and Indiana and a turd fest loss at home to ISU is not acceptable.

Of course he is. Losing to ISU is expected at this point. I am happy we can win 33% of the time against them. And directional Michigan. Of course they should be expected to beat us. Some people have unrealistic expectations. We could bring back that deranged over the hill Texan. He is available.

Of course he is. Losing to ISU is expected at this point. I am happy we can win 33% of the time against them. And directional Michigan. Of course they should be expected to beat us. Some people have unrealistic expectations. We could bring back that deranged over the hill Texan. He is available.

Jamby, nobody buys your schtick.

Yes, KF is entitled to a losing season. But there have been far too many disappointing seasons before this one.. 2005, 2006, and 2010 in particular. 2007 was a 6-6 season, and last year was 7-6. A losing season would be more acceptable if previous years had been more consistently good. That hasn't been the case.

And forget about 2002-04 - those were great years and KF gets full credit, but that was nearly a decade ago. He shouldn't get a free pass indefinitely for something that happened that long ago IMO.

I am not ready to show KF the door just yet but I do hope he fixes the offense. IMO it is inexcusable to have a senior QB, senior WR, talented TE's, (was before injuries) one of the best offensive lines and to have this kind of performance. The play calling as been atrocious as I have ever seen it from running into 8/9 man fronts to running the same play over and over after it has failed to work. Coming into this season I was worried about the defense and thought Iowa would have to outscore the other team in order to win. I did not have high expectations for this season, 6/7 wins was where I thought Iowa would be at, but how they have gotten to this point needs to be fixed going into next season.

The play calling is only half the problem. It hasn't been ideal, but in defense of Davis, he has made some good calls that we just didn't execute on. But more importantly, it looks like half the time the QB and the WR are just on completely different pages because Davis has added so many reads and really overcomplicated the offense. I refuse to believe JVB is as bad as he has looked this season because I watched him have a decent season last year with my own two eyes. Sure, McNutt stretched the field somewhat and commanded additional attention, but we're looking at a nearly 20 TD dropoff year over year (if current offensive trends continue) and there is something more than just the absence of McNutt causing that. Heck, O'Keefe would come in against teams soft in the trenches like Northwestern and Indiana and will the running game to work and then start setting up those PA seams to the TE and some rollouts and stuff like that. We got one drive like that out of Davis and then back into the shell we went. The guy is freaking terrible.

please explain the OL and TE comments to me.
on the OL we had a new starter with RSSO Scherff at LT who played very little at RG
Tobin and Ferentz are the only SR'S with starting experience
Blythe started at RG as a RSFR
Van Sloten played very little and is starting for the 1st time as a RSJR
as for that TE CJF a true JR played behind Herman and Derby as a SO,
Talent does = experience.
so please explain

Fans are relatively happy with an 8 win season. Yes, they would even have been okay with 2010, that is if it wasn't followed by 2011, 2012, and what will be 2013.

Once again, this is KF's pattern.

People will be running around with pitch-forks in the off-season. However, next year the Hawks will get bowl eligible by winning early with a fairly mature team, albeit not that great. They will only win one conference game, but that will be enough to get them in a weak bowl against a weak opponent. They will win that game, which will keep the wolves at bay one more summer.

Then in 2014, with a senior laden OL. A mature and strong DL, and really strong defensive backs, Iowa will roll through their schedule and end up in a title rematch against OSU.

People fail to realize that this season schedule matters.

If this team were playing a schedule like 2009, they would have at most 2 wins right now.

With this schedule, 6-6 should have happened just by showing up. They are now staring down the barrel of 4-8 with 6 straight losses.

11-2, 8-5, 7-6, 4-5........the trendline is what has most fans upset and concerned I would suspect, not this year's season on it's own. Pretty easy for some to say we'll be better next year when you use this year as the benchmark. And yes, it is absolutley how we have looked as well the outcome of the games.

As far as our team being young and inexperienced......tell that to Indiana who had significantly more underclassmen in the starting lineup than Iowa. They had 13 freshmen or sophomores in their starting lineup, 7 on offense and 6 on defense.......3 seniors total.