Is Ferentz entitled to a losing season?

Now I will say something people who say "Kurt" or "kurk" will say, he already has his 1 losing season.

I'm not one of those people that say "kurt" or "Kurk" but when your season is finished and you have more losses than wins that is a losing season.. pretty damn simple... 6-7 is a losing record.. The last time I checked.. :)

Is Ferentz entitled to a losing season? IMO that's like asking if Indiana is entitled to a National Championship. Simply because you've been winning games year in and year out doesn't mean you should get a free pass for failing. Because Indiana's been terrible for years shouldn't mean they should be entitled to a National Championship simply because they've been on the other side of the fence for so long.

I'm not one of those people that say "kurt" or "Kurk" but when your season is finished and you have more losses than wins that is a losing season.. pretty damn simple... 6-7 is a losing record.. The last time I checked.. :)

I am the person that says Kurt and Kurk, and I am one of the few not crapping my pants in rage.

Absolutely. We had a bunch of staff changes that virtually everyone on this board wanted and now no one wants to deal with the fallout. I told everyone O'Keefe was the glue on the staff, but no one believed me. Sorry guys, but if we ran O'Keefe's "simple" and "boring" offense we would probably be 7-2 or 6-3 right now.

I actually have to agree with this.

I am not ready to show KF the door just yet but I do hope he fixes the offense. IMO it is inexcusable to have a senior QB, senior WR, talented TE's, (was before injuries) one of the best offensive lines and to have this kind of performance. The play calling as been atrocious as I have ever seen it from running into 8/9 man fronts to running the same play over and over after it has failed to work. Coming into this season I was worried about the defense and thought Iowa would have to outscore the other team in order to win. I did not have high expectations for this season, 6/7 wins was where I thought Iowa would be at, but how they have gotten to this point needs to be fixed going into next season.

I agree with all you say with the exception of the expectations..
How could one look at our schedule this year and not see 8 or nine wins?
Seriously.
The Big 10 is as bad as it has EVER been & our non-conference schedule was just as weak.

NO. Losing is not an option that is ever acceptable. Funny how many of you here saying "ah it's ok" are the same ones who are so set in your minds in politics. I bet you also would not handle your employees saying, well "we hired new people" or "we have done well some years".

If you are not moving forward you are moving backwards. I dont buy the well we were worse off 30 years ago, so we have arrived bit either.
People mess up. Mistakes will be made. But you cant just accept them or they will happen again.

Yes, however I think the fact his teams never live up to expectations hurts him. His good years have come when there haven't been any expectations. If the 2010 team only went 10-2(very reasonable for that year) he wouldn't be getting near the noise he is getting.

I agree and Old Man Miller has made that same point - a lot of what is going on is about 2010 in addition add in the ten losses since 2005 to double digit underdogs and you've got some real rage built up toward Kurt and company.

Absolutely. We had a bunch of staff changes that virtually everyone on this board wanted and now no one wants to deal with the fallout. I told everyone O'Keefe was the glue on the staff, but no one believed me. Sorry guys, but if we ran O'Keefe's "simple" and "boring" offense we would probably be 7-2 or 6-3 right now.

That you did brah, that you did.

NO. Losing is not an option that is ever acceptable. Funny how many of you here saying "ah it's ok" are the same ones who are so set in your minds in politics. I bet you also would not handle your employees saying, well "we hired new people" or "we have done well some years".

If you are not moving forward you are moving backwards. I dont buy the well we were worse off 30 years ago, so we have arrived bit either.
People mess up. Mistakes will be made. But you cant just accept them or they will happen again.

No, really, it's okay. KF's job is to recruit and coach a bunch of 18-22 year old kids in a game. For me, seeing my friends and family at games is more important than going to the game itself. There are things I can change in my life, if I don't like my job, I can get a new one. If I don't like my car, I can buy a new one. If I don't like my neighbors, I can move. But there is not a single thing I can do to change the fact that my favorite football team hired a terrible offensive coordinator and that my favorite football team has some talent deficiencies, many of which are no fault of KF. Losing is an option, it happens to exactly half of the teams in college football every week. Just enjoy it while it is good.

No, really, it's okay. KF's job is to recruit and coach a bunch of 18-22 year old kids in a game. For me, seeing my friends and family at games is more important than going to the game itself. There are things I can change in my life, if I don't like my job, I can get a new one. If I don't like my car, I can buy a new one. If I don't like my neighbors, I can move. But there is not a single thing I can do to change the fact that my favorite football team hired a terrible offensive coordinator and that my favorite football team has some talent deficiencies, many of which are no fault of KF. Losing is an option, it happens to exactly half of the teams in college football every week. Just enjoy it while it is good.

And if all else fails, become a Northwestern fan

Thanks to our brillant AD... he can have several of them in a row and just be a smart #$% when asked about it. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Your newsletter. I'd like to subscribe to it.

I guess their is not a darn thing I can do about it. I can't hire or fire anybody pertaining to Iowa football, nor can I bench or start certain players. I'm not a millionaire booster who can say I'm not donating any more until things change. The only thing I can do is come here and read how people feel and see that I am not alone. So apathy has set in and I will just sit and watch how things unfold.

please explain the OL and TE comments to me.
on the OL we had a new starter with RSSO Scherff at LT who played very little at RG
Tobin and Ferentz are the only SR'S with starting experience
Blythe started at RG as a RSFR
Van Sloten played very little and is starting for the 1st time as a RSJR
as for that TE CJF a true JR played behind Herman and Derby as a SO,
Talent does = experience.
so please explain

Evidently you must have been watching how huge those holes were and the time Vandy got before Donnal and Scherf went down. I would argue the line was the best in the B1G.

I agree with all you say with the exception of the expectations..
How could one look at our schedule this year and not see 8 or nine wins?
Seriously.
The Big 10 is as bad as it has EVER been & our non-conference schedule was just as weak.

Before the season I did not think we had the experience or talent on defense to win 8 or 9, plus we all know Iowa usually loses a game they should win. But I did not think the offense would be this bad and the defense has looked better than I thought they were. Looking at the team now and how horrible the play calling has been Iowa should be at 6 wins with 3 left to play.

"entitled"? Absolutely, not. No one is entitled to anything in sports. In sports, you have to earn it.

So, if the question is, "Has Ferentz earned a losing season?", the answer is a definitive, "Absolutely!" I'd say it's been a long time coming considering how he has coached over the past 6 seasons or so, with 2012 being the culmination of his coaching skills, football philosophy and applied strategies. Not only has he earned it, he deserves it!

Scherff A RSSO never started a game before this fall, and RSFR Blythe was the starter at RG until he got hurt then Donnal was lost for the season after starting for JUST 2 games
thats makes 2 RSSO and 1 RSFR and now RSFR Walsh is starting, but I suppose coaching has asobutely no bearing on their play, before ther season began we had no idea of how they would play..
as for Van Sloten even though he is a RSJR he to was starting for the 1st time in his career. now after 9 games you proclaim this to be the best OL
and since this is the best OL the future is looking better as these kids will be here another 2-3 years and only get better

Latest posts