Is 5 the preferred seed for conference tourney?

If MSU goes to Des Moines, there is little chance Iowa goes there any way you slice it. I think they avoid placing teams that have faced more than twice in the regular season. Michigan would be ok tho - unless we see them in the B1G Tournament.

Well there are 2 sides to the Des Moines site. Each site will host 8 teams. Just depends on which 8.

I think Iowa's best bet is to have Michigan State and Michigan win a bunch and jump other higher ranked teams and end up in Columbus. Then Iowa somehow pulls off a 4 seed and ends up in Des Moines. I still don't really see it though.

MI beat NW by 2 on their home court...same for MN. What are they in the NCAA...6 seed? They are 2-2 against the top 6 with 2 against both MSU and MD left on their schedule...may not win another game I guess.
Michigan definitely has the toughest remaining schedule. They only have two losses on the season which were both road games vs teams currently ranked.

From what I’ve gathered we should actually be pulling for Michigan as we could still go to Des Moines if they go there, assuming we don’t see them in the BTT.

Put off Purdue as long as possible. That is the one.

Agree. Purdue is a "system" team and you have to beat Matt Painter, who I think may arguably be one of the best X's & O's coaches in the league. His players run a "true" motion offense and precise set plays. They will run their true motion offense then hit you with a planned curl cut off that offense as well as other plays off the offense. They play team ball.

Tournament is for money, meaningless for team success, other than if you make a run and are in the NCAA you are exhausted.

Very good point. The ONLY benefit for a team who already has an automatic bid to the NCAA is if they can play their way into a #1 seed by winning the conference tourney. But, for most it's a run of games that can take some out of a team.

Very good point. The ONLY benefit for a team who already has an automatic bid to the NCAA is if they can play their way into a #1 seed by winning the conference tourney. But, for most it's a run of games that can take some out of a team.
Remember the theory that the Big struggled in the ncaa because the big didnt have a tourney?

Remember the theory that the Big struggled in the ncaa because the big didnt have a tourney?
I remember it. Bobby Knight was against it and helped fight it off for a long time. He said it would cheapen the regular season and make kids miss more class time. We started the conference tournament in 1998. Between 2000 and 2009 the B1G was represented in the national championship game five times and frequently had multiple teams in the final four.

The other popular theory for years was that big ten refs swallowed their whistles too much and that conference teams were hurt in tournament games by tight officiating.

I know it’s just interesting to see some of the commentary compared to what it could have been if we would have lost to NW. Thankfully we didn’t.

Each individual game is unique and Iowa should have a very good chance in every remaining one save at Wisconsin.

The realist in me says the BTT 4 seed has a likelihood of about 15% and Des Moines probably 10%.

In my mind, winning and losing that game doesn't affect the odds of going undefeated over the last 7 one bit. The only thing it changes is current resume.

I will say that I think winning a really close game the way we won it increases our odds of going undefeated more than had they blown Northwestern out. I'm a big believer in the thought that you're going to only have so many good games and you're going to have some bad games. We won a game without "wasting" a good game, which means we have one extra good game left than we would have if it was used on Northwestern. Kinda a superstitious thing more than anything.

In my mind, winning and losing that game doesn't affect the odds of going undefeated over the last 7 one bit. The only thing it changes is current resume.

I will say that I think winning a really close game the way we won it increases our odds of going undefeated more than had they blown Northwestern out. I'm a big believer in the thought that you're going to only have so many good games and you're going to have some bad games. We won a game without "wasting" a good game, which means we have one extra good game left than we would have if it was used on Northwestern. Kinda a superstitious thing more than anything.
Playing poorly and winning makes for a great teaching opportunity for the coaches as well.

I could see Fran being a little ornery in practice this week.

Honestly I think we need to give up the Des Moines dream. Lunardi, Palm and USA today all seem to agree that both Michigan teams will play in Des Moines barring a collapse
I’m not giving up yet. Odds aren’t great but there’s a chance.

Bracketologists are not doing their job.
They have #3 Houston playing in Florida against a possible 2nd round matchup against #6 FSU. Not going to happen.

Michigan and MSU are closer to Columbus than Des Moines. Hartford isn’t as far a stretch from Des Moines plus get one of those programs in Media HQ. And since Michigan has alumni everywhere they could be sent to a place like Hartford and fill it up.

Doesn’t matter. Fun to talk about.

Maybe we should put up a thread prior to selection Sunday guessing the top 16 seeds and locations

MI beat NW by 2 on their home court...same for MN. What are they in the NCAA...6 seed? They are 2-2 against the top 6 with 2 against both MSU and MD left on their schedule...may not win another game I guess.
They are currently in a barnburner early with Penn State.

Couple notes. There is no reseeding after the first day so we don’t necessarily play the lowest seed remaining.

We will see how tonight’s games go with Maryland and Wisconsin with big home games. I don’t think our chances at the 4 seed are that realistic at this point considering we play at Wisconsin on Happ’s senior night. Assuming we lose that one that puts us 2+ games behind them, meaning we would need to win out and they would need to drop 3 other games. Unlikely.

With that in mind both the 5 or 6 seed would work for me. Play an “easier” game Thursday hopefully get some momentum. Personally I’d love to play Purdue again. I don’t think they are that good of a team.
I hope our players and staff were watching. Maryland exposed Purdue's biggest weakness tonight. Purdue is vulnerable to a big, physical team.

Looking at the remaining schedule, Indiana is our best friend. If they won every game except the game against Iowa, it would be fine by me. As long as we beat Rutgers that is.

I thought all 3 BT games tonight were toss ups. I can’t get a feel for how good MI is.

Turns out it's important they lose so they dont end up in Des Moines. They have a brutal schedule left. If they lose tonight, they may end up with 6 or more losses.

Well there are 2 sides to the Des Moines site. Each site will host 8 teams. Just depends on which 8.

I think Iowa's best bet is to have Michigan State and Michigan win a bunch and jump other higher ranked teams and end up in Columbus. Then Iowa somehow pulls off a 4 seed and ends up in Des Moines. I still don't really see it though.
MSU is doing their part to move out of DSM. Their win combined with Kentucky’s home loss put MSU ahead of KY on Kenpom.

Turns out it's important they lose so they dont end up in Des Moines. They have a brutal schedule left. If they lose tonight, they may end up with 6 or more losses.
Things are still very fluid. The MSU win sets up additional scenarios favorable to Iowa.