Ironmen Film Bringing Legendary Hawkeye Nile Kinnick to Big Screen

I watched bits and pieces of the Oscars the other night. I would say it was the worst one ever. I find it funny that they are so pro "Me Too" movement after that Weinstein disaster, but they give an Oscar to Kobe Bryant who has a dark past with women. The Oscars isn't even about entertaining us anymore, it's about them using a podium to spew their personal opinions. They don't want to entertain us, they want to lecture Americans because they are so high and mighty. Someone on this thread said they would rather have an independent film company make a movie about Kinnick, which I couldn't agree more. Let Redford at Sundance Film make it. I would not want those Hollyweirdos touching this movie, they'd probably make stuff up about Kinnick that weren't true just to make more drama out of it. By the way, this years Oscars was the lowest viewed. Goes to show that the rest of us are sick of their BS.
It's just a big echo chamber where they pat each other on the back. People just getting by out in the real world are tired of being told how they should be and live by people who make believe for a living and are insulated from reality.

Those to me are the WORST part of what Hollywood always does with true stories. Be it sports related or otherwise. The Blind Side movie on the Michael Oher story was terrible in regards to that and Oher himself hated it. Yet he's cashing the residuals from it I'm sure. I think Kurt Warners story has a movie in the works and I'm scared of how they'll butcher that.

With Kinnicks story I can't see why any liberties/embellishing needs to take place. And if Hollywood could for one time in their lives just not cut corners and see how that'd go it'd sure be a welcome change.
Who would play Brenda Warner, Kate Gosselin?

Last edited:
If they did to Nike Kinnick’s story what they did to “Remember the Titans” ... I’d be ok with that. That’s a good movie to watch. Well acted, good soundtrack, fun to watch, good action, good humor. That’s a good film. If it turns out like “Rudy” ... then I could pass.

Truth is, VERY FEW historical stories are truly 100% accurate. Very few. The average movie goer in America today can’t handle historical accuracy, or don’t have the attention span for it.

Just make it good, compelling, and mostly accurate. Please don’t make it suck, don’t make it half assed. Bring some passion to the story. Fall in love with it.

Hawkeye fans will of course know what is "true" and what is "hollywood."

For the rest of the 99% of America, nobody will know.

It's good exposure for Iowa, our roots and our program. Bring it on.

If they did to Nike Kinnick’s story what they did to “Remember the Titans” ... I’d be ok with that. That’s a good movie to watch. Well acted, good soundtrack, fun to watch, good action, good humor. That’s a good film. If it turns out like “Rudy” ... then I could pass.

Truth is, VERY FEW historical stories are truly 100% accurate. Very few. The average movie goer in America today can’t handle historical accuracy, or don’t have the attention span for it.

Just make it good, compelling, and mostly accurate. Please don’t make it suck, don’t make it half assed. Bring some passion to the story. Fall in love with it.

Obviously if The Ironmen turned out like Remember The Titans, it would be a huge, huge win. Remember The Titans is an all-time classic sports movie produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, starring Denzel Washington, and released by Walt Disney Pictures. This Ironmen movie might as well not even exist on the same planet as Remember The Titans.

It’s true that very few historical stories are 100 percent accurate. But unlike Rudy Ruettiger or Vince Papale, Nile Kinnick is already a statewide icon. Because they’re portraying Nile Kinnick and the Ironmen, who are already beloved in Iowa and whose real stories are fondly remembered, Lidd and Heath have an added responsibility to make it as accurate as possible, not just as accurate as they can be bothered to make it.

The problem with asking them to make the movie “mostly accurate” is that they’ll take liberties with the “mostly” part. After all, how accurate is “mostly” accurate?

For example, in Lidd’s book, he writes about how Nile Kinnick met Ronald Reagan. (That never actually happened.) Lidd stretches it a little further, having Kinnick shake hands with Reagan in the Iowa locker room after a big Hawkeye win in 1939. (That definitely never happened.) Then Lidd goes further yet, having Reagan tell Kinnick that he’s going to use Nile as his muse for portraying George Gipp in Knute Rockne, All-American. (Okay, that really, definitely never happened.)

My point is…give Lidd an inch and he’ll take a mile. His book is filled with these types of inaccuracies, and a movie based on that book is only likely to stretch the truth even further. And if there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that Nile Kinnick doesn’t need his life “embellished” with things that we know are definitively untrue. Dramatized, sure…but not embellished. And I just don’t think these guys can tell the difference.

Would be surprised Hollyweird would want this type of movie since they are busy making only super hero movies, sequels, Star Wars movies and prequels these days.
There is a certain superhero movie out right now that you would think is a documentary the way some people are behaving.

It's good exposure for Iowa, our roots and our program. Bring it on.

I don't agree that any movie about the Ironmen would be good exposure for Iowa. If the movie turns out to be as poorly-directed, poorly-acted, and generally forgettable as the other film projects Joe Heath has produced, I don't think that's good exposure for our roots and our program. Of course, some folks subscribe to the theory that all exposure is good exposure...I'm just not one of them.

Obviously if The Ironmen turned out like Remember The Titans, it would be a huge, huge win. Remember The Titans is an all-time classic sports movie produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, starring Denzel Washington, and released by Walt Disney Pictures. This Ironmen movie might as well not even exist on the same planet as Remember The Titans.

It’s true that very few historical stories are 100 percent accurate. But unlike Rudy Ruettiger or Vince Papale, Nile Kinnick is already a statewide icon. Because they’re portraying Nile Kinnick and the Ironmen, who are already beloved in Iowa and whose real stories are fondly remembered, Lidd and Heath have an added responsibility to make it as accurate as possible, not just as accurate as they can be bothered to make it.

The problem with asking them to make the movie “mostly accurate” is that they’ll take liberties with the “mostly” part. After all, how accurate is “mostly” accurate?

For example, in Lidd’s book, he writes about how Nile Kinnick met Ronald Reagan. (That never actually happened.) Lidd stretches it a little further, having Kinnick shake hands with Reagan in the Iowa locker room after a big Hawkeye win in 1939. (That definitely never happened.) Then Lidd goes further yet, having Reagan tell Kinnick that he’s going to use Nile as his muse for portraying George Gipp in Knute Rockne, All-American. (Okay, that really, definitely never happened.)

My point is…give Lidd an inch and he’ll take a mile. His book is filled with these types of inaccuracies, and a movie based on that book is only likely to stretch the truth even further. And if there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that Nile Kinnick doesn’t need his life “embellished” with things that we know are definitively untrue. Dramatized, sure…but not embellished. And I just don’t think these guys can tell the difference.

Almost sounds more like Forrest Gump.

I don't agree that any movie about the Ironmen would be good exposure for Iowa. If the movie turns out to be as poorly-directed, poorly-acted, and generally forgettable as the other film projects Joe Heath has produced, I don't think that's good exposure for our roots and our program. Of course, some folks subscribe to the theory that all exposure is good exposure...I'm just not one of them.
I'm with ya. Anything short of doing it right is just a waste of time. Sure they make money but that's their end all be all goals anyway. And on a low budget affair like this would be it'd be tough to not make $

Hollywood isn't in to glorifying white guys right now so will this thing continue? It's not a political post, just noticing the trends. See Wonder Woman and Black Panther.

Hollywood isn't in to glorifying white guys right now so will this thing continue? It's not a political post, just noticing the trends. See Wonder Woman and Black Panther.
Oh, go ahead and say it. In addition to giving the movie Nile a cape and rocket boosters, Hollywood ups its ante and would make the character a heterodox, non-cisgender human, who not only kills Nazis on the side, but manages to make everyone else on earth woke. A blissful non-existence existence. And the 2020 Academy Award for Best Picture goes to . . .

In my opinion, nobody in Hollywood can. Solid post though. I’m nitpicking, I agree with your sentiment. I’m saying though, his story might be bland enough that Hollywood might think it’s not dramatic enough. We, as Iowans, usually like bland when done the right way. Hello, Kirk Ferentz offense for the last 20 years?!?!

I'm getting ready for the release of the story of another popular, if not quite legendary Iowa City athlete. My wife's mother is good friends with the mother of the late Caroline Found's coach. Helen Hunt plays the coach in the movie. My daughter, who just finished her senior year of volleyball, bought the book as soon as she could.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready for the release of the story of another popular, if not quite legendary Iowa City athlete. My wife's mother is good friends with the mother of the late Caroline Found's coach. Helen Hunt plays the coach in the movie.

I am as well. That movie looks like it could be very good!

I went to a garage sale a couple years ago and picked up an old ironing board with feed sacks on it as a cover. I took the socks off found old newspapers Des Moines register's. Slowly on folded one and the headlines were Iowa plays Minnesota and there was a picture of the entire 1939 Iowa Hawkeyes the Iron Man with Nile kinnick. Was in pretty good shape so had it framed.

It's not a trend. "Trend" implies a temporary thing. What you are talking about is now pretty much just the thing.

I went to a garage sale a couple years ago and picked up an old ironing board with feed sacks on it as a cover. I took the socks off found old newspapers Des Moines register's. Slowly on folded one and the headlines were Iowa plays Minnesota and there was a picture of the entire 1939 Iowa Hawkeyes the Iron Man with Nile kinnick. Was in pretty good shape so had it framed.
What a great find.

Picture? What a great find indeed!

Latest posts