Ironmen Film Bringing Legendary Hawkeye Nile Kinnick to Big Screen

I don't agree that any movie about the Ironmen would be good exposure for Iowa. If the movie turns out to be as poorly-directed, poorly-acted, and generally forgettable as the other film projects Joe Heath has produced, I don't think that's good exposure for our roots and our program. Of course, some folks subscribe to the theory that all exposure is good exposure...I'm just not one of them.
I agree with this.

If it turns out like "Remember the Titans".....great.
It if turns out like "Rudy"....I'll pass.

There's going to have to be some serious Kinnick CGI going on.
They should film it in black & white since it took place way back when. How many of you would show up as an extra for crowd scenes if they filmed it in Iowa? I doubt they do, probably in Michigan or Georgia since films get great tax breaks in those states.

I hate to say it, but this movie is almost certainly going to be a complete embarrassment to Hawkeye fans, the University of Iowa, and the legacy of Nile Kinnick. Look, we all love Nile Kinnick and he has a great story, no doubt. But that doesn’t mean this movie is going to be any good, and the people involved with it would certainly indicate it won’t be.

Sadly, I totally agree with this. I haven't read the book, but what I know of Nile leads me to believe that there could be an absolutely fantastic movie about him. But I'm not sure that it would be commercially successful and I think it would take a lot more than $15 million to make because the scene of his untimely death alone would cost several million dollars to do properly and not with some crappy CGI that looks like garbage. I think Hollywood has lost Middle America and a movie like this could be successful in the Midwest and South, but it would need to have some really good actors and a great director, but that ain't gonna happen for $15 million.

Oh, go ahead and say it. In addition to giving the movie Nile a cape and rocket boosters, Hollywood ups its ante and would make the character a heterodox, non-cisgender human, who not only kills Nazis on the side, but manages to make everyone else on earth woke. A blissful non-existence existence. And the 2020 Academy Award for Best Picture goes to . . .

Transrassic Park. The harrowing tale of 4 trans women of color who are as smart and strong as they are beautiful set up a sting operation and catch the nazi President of the United States sexually harassing them leading to his impeachment and replacement by the most qualified candidate in herstory. Though a flop at the box office, it signals a new wave in the never ending fight for trans rights and intersectional feminism.

They should film it in black & white since it took place way back when. How many of you would show up as an extra for crowd scenes if they filmed it in Iowa? I doubt they do, probably in Michigan or Georgia since films get great tax breaks in those states.
Probably right.
But We tried the tax credit thing in Iowa for movies Taxpayers got taken by a bunch of crooks.

Would be surprised Hollyweird would want this type of movie since they are busy making only super hero movies, sequels, Star Wars movies and prequels these days.
And a bunch of crap movies that Hollyweird gives trophies for itself that the public doesn’t pay to see.

That’s why they make so many comic book movies and Star Wars movies — people pay for those.

And then with that money they make the crap movies that nobody watches but them.

“Like me! Like me! You really like me!”

Transrassic Park. The harrowing tale of 4 trans women of color who are as smart and strong as they are beautiful set up a sting operation and catch the nazi President of the United States sexually harassing them leading to his impeachment and replacement by the most qualified candidate in herstory. Though a flop at the box office, it signals a new wave in the never ending fight for trans rights and intersectional feminism.

Wow, this sounds like real life.

The four women are traumatized while growing up in Urbandale....trans-cend into decadence while then living in Illinois, Chicago in particular.

In my opinion, nobody in Hollywood can. Solid post though. I’m nitpicking, I agree with your sentiment. I’m saying though, his story might be bland enough that Hollywood might think it’s not dramatic enough. We, as Iowans, usually like bland when done the right way. Hello, Kirk Ferentz offense for the last 20 years?!?!

You touch on an interesting point, which is that the Nile Kinnick/Ironmen story is probably harder to translate to film than you might think.

While the Ironmen are beloved in Iowa lore, it’s hard to make them underdogs on the level of Hoosiers or Miracle. The challenge is that although the Ironmen pulled a couple of improbable, unthinkable upsets over Notre Dame and Minnesota, to be blunt, they didn’t actually win anything. They didn’t win the national title or even a Big Ten title, thanks to the season-ending stumble against Northwestern. The NW game was a mess: it cost Iowa a share of the conference title, Kinnick had his consecutive minutes streak snapped with a separated shoulder, and the game ended in a tie. At least losses are dramatic...ties are just stupid. (By the way, this is only one of so many reasons to hate Northwestern.)

An Ironmen movie would pretty much have to downplay or gloss over that whole game. At any rate, it doesn’t have the satisfying ending that many underdog movies have. (A movie about Warren Holloway would have a better ending, as far as that goes.)

Clearly, Nile Kinnick is the key here - Heisman winner, All-American boy, giving his life for his country. The drawback with Kinnick is that he’s almost too clean-cut...there’s no real drama there.

I think back to a Jim Thorpe movie from decades ago with Burt Lancaster in the lead. Like Kinnick, Thorpe was a legendary athlete. Thorpe was also a drunk, got a divorce, and was a bad father for a while there. He’s nowhere near as admirable as Kinnick, but he also might be seen as more interesting.

The trick is telling the Kinnick story honestly and still making him three-dimensional, not just a prototypical Jesus-like figure. Nile was such a straight arrow that he doesn’t bring a lot of drama to the table, which is a good thing from a personal standpoint but a hurdle for a movie.

(With respect to the Black Panther jokes, the trend really is toward portraying black athletes in a time of segregation. Whether it’s Jackie Robinson (42), Ernie Davis (The Express), or Jesse Owens (Race), black athletes from that time period bring a certain amount of drama to the table by default. Throw in leukemia with Davis or Nazis with Owens, and the conflict is easy to script.)

Don’t get me wrong...a Kinnick and the Ironmen movie isn’t impossible. It just takes a little more craft and experience than some other stories. And at the risk of beating a dead horse, I’ve seen nothing to suggest these guys have what it takes.

You touch on an interesting point, which is that the Nile Kinnick/Ironmen story is probably harder to translate to film than you might think.

While the Ironmen are beloved in Iowa lore, it’s hard to make them underdogs on the level of Hoosiers or Miracle. The challenge is that although the Ironmen pulled a couple of improbable, unthinkable upsets over Notre Dame and Minnesota, to be blunt, they didn’t actually win anything. They didn’t win the national title or even a Big Ten title, thanks to the season-ending stumble against Northwestern. The NW game was a mess: it cost Iowa a share of the conference title, Kinnick had his consecutive minutes streak snapped with a separated shoulder, and the game ended in a tie. At least losses are dramatic...ties are just stupid. (By the way, this is only one of so many reasons to hate Northwestern.)

An Ironmen movie would pretty much have to downplay or gloss over that whole game. At any rate, it doesn’t have the satisfying ending that many underdog movies have. (A movie about Warren Holloway would have a better ending, as far as that goes.)

Clearly, Nile Kinnick is the key here - Heisman winner, All-American boy, giving his life for his country. The drawback with Kinnick is that he’s almost too clean-cut...there’s no real drama there.

I think back to a Jim Thorpe movie from decades ago with Burt Lancaster in the lead. Like Kinnick, Thorpe was a legendary athlete. Thorpe was also a drunk, got a divorce, and was a bad father for a while there. He’s nowhere near as admirable as Kinnick, but he also might be seen as more interesting.

The trick is telling the Kinnick story honestly and still making him three-dimensional, not just a prototypical Jesus-like figure. Nile was such a straight arrow that he doesn’t bring a lot of drama to the table, which is a good thing from a personal standpoint but a hurdle for a movie.

(With respect to the Black Panther jokes, the trend really is toward portraying black athletes in a time of segregation. Whether it’s Jackie Robinson (42), Ernie Davis (The Express), or Jesse Owens (Race), black athletes from that time period bring a certain amount of drama to the table by default. Throw in leukemia with Davis or Nazis with Owens, and the conflict is easy to script.)

Don’t get me wrong...a Kinnick and the Ironmen movie isn’t impossible. It just takes a little more craft and experience than some other stories. And at the risk of beating a dead horse, I’ve seen nothing to suggest these guys have what it takes.

Just use artistic liberty like they did with Rudy.

BTW, John Belein was on Golic and Wingo and said his mom's cousin was the guy they based Saving Private Ryan on. They did go and get him out of France after D-Day but he said it was way easier to do so than the movie portrayed. They embellished big time so they could make Iowa beat NW instead of tie.

Kinnick was a great hero for sure but almost sounds like he'd be too vanilla for Hollywood to make a successful movie about.

The challenge is that although the Ironmen pulled a couple of improbable, unthinkable upsets over Notre Dame and Minnesota, to be blunt, they didn’t actually win anything.
The history of Iowa sports in a nutshell right there, for the most part.

The history of Iowa sports in a nutshell right there, for the most part.

Well, no. Iowa has won 11 Big Ten titles, plus a conference title in 1896 and a division title in 2015. And other sports have had success, including Gable’s incredible run in wrestling.

But of all the Big Ten champs Iowa football has had, the Ironmen aren’t one of them. A win in the finale against NW would have given them a share of the title. But late in a tie game, Coach Anderson - mistakenly believing a tie was good enough to get Iowa a share of the conference crown - had the Ironmen sit on the ball and accept the draw and second place in the league standings.

Can you imagine the reaction to an oversight like that today? Anderson would be crucified...it’d make the fan reaction of KF’s decision to play for OT at OSU in 2009 look like a tea party. But back then, fans were jokingly talking about Anderson running for governor, even after that blunder. A different time, for sure.

The people who made the movie "Remember the Titans" changed the actual facts of the film to make it more dramatic. In the film the All American defensive end for them gets paralyzed in a car accident and misses the state title game. This was false, he played in the game and wasn't injured until after their football season ended. In the film the game was played at night and the Titans won on the last play of the game. This was also false, they played the state title game back then during the day time and the Titans blew out the team they faced in the title game.

Yep, yet another movie among the many that take "license".

I think in the case of a Kinnick/Ironmen movie, "dramatic license" wouldn't be something most that are close to/familiar with the story are happy to see...

They're deep in the process of killing all those, too. Star Wars is already dead to me.
Back in the late 70's through 90's horror movies were king. Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Alien ect....But, they burnt out and now super hero and star wars are the hot product, they will burn out eventually. By the way, in case you haven't heard, they just wrapped up filming a new "Halloween" movie. It's coming out late October this year. John Carpenter who wrote and directed the original Halloween is Executive Producer and scoring the music. Jamie Lee Curtis is back as Laurie Strode and Nick Castle who was the original Micheal Myers is back playing The Shape once again (they won't be brother & sister either, that is being removed.) The movie is ignoring all Halloween movies (even Halloween II.) So it sounds like it will pick up right where the original ended and then take place 40 years later (rumour is that Myers get's caught by the police after he get's up and walks away when Halloween ended, then is locked up in a mental institution) I can't wait to see it. My only concern is that Danny McBride is involved, but he said he is really taking it serious and they want to recreate what the original Halloween was.

Last edited:
Nicholas Meyer will write the screenplay for THE IRONMEN, the amazing story of the 1939 University of Iowa’s football team’s stunning comeback from near oblivion and bankruptcy under the inspired coaching of Dr. Eddie Anderson who worked his squad so hard, only 37 of the 87 players to begin Spring practice remained when the season opened. Led by Iowa’s only Heisman Trophy winner, Nile Kinnick, they will forever be remembered as THE IRONMEN! The screenplay is based on the novel NILE by Tom Lidd of Cedar Rapids, IA.

Nicholas Meyer is a graduate of the University of Iowa and an Academy-Award nominated screenwriter, director and novelist. His first turn as Writer/Director was the time-travel sci-fi romp Time After Time (1979). Other notable films as Writer/Director include Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (1982), Volunteers (1985) starring Tom Hanks and John Candy, and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991). He also is the series co-creator of the television show Medici: Masters of Florence (2016-18). Meyer was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for the film The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (1976) based on Meyer’s own bestselling Sherlock Holmes novel. Meyer is no stranger to adaptations having written the screenplays for Elegy and The Human Stain, based on works by author Phillip Roth.

THE IRONMEN is being Produced by Joseph Grandy Heath and Matt Zboyovski for Stone Buffalo Entertainment and The Ironmen Movie L.L.C. The Producers are actively seeking additional financing partners for the film project and plan to film in and around Iowa City in late 2019.

The Producers can be contacted via email: theironmenmovie@gmail.com

Nicholas Meyer is represented by Alan Gasmer.

Have heard that a film is going to be made about the Apllington Parkersburg football coach (Ed Thomas) who was gunned down by a former player of his. Not sure if this is true or not?

Latest posts