Ironmen Film Bringing Legendary Hawkeye Nile Kinnick to Big Screen

I'm surprised they will film in Iowa, taxes for filming here is pretty high. Heard that's why they filmed the movie The Miracle Season based on the true story of Iowa City West volleyball player Caroline Found and her teammates that took place back in 2010 / 2011, it was either in Michigan or Canada.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they will film in Iowa, taxes for filming here is pretty high. Heard that's why they filmed the movie The Miracle Season based on the true story of Iowa City West volleyball player Caroline Found and her teammates that took place back in 2010 / 2011, it was either in Michigan or Canada.

Man, I took my daughters to that movie and told them I would be talking during the movie pointing things out, thinking it would be filmed on location.

I was sorely disappointed. The big thing that go me was the trip to Cedar Rapids through the corn fields. Come on.

The movie itself was okay. but it lost a few points because of where they shot it.

Man, I took my daughters to that movie and told them I would be talking during the movie pointing things out, thinking it would be filmed on location.

I was sorely disappointed. The big thing that go me was the trip to Cedar Rapids through the corn fields. Come on.

The movie itself was okay. but it lost a few points because of where they shot it.

Read the book The Miracle Season (if you haven't) The real IC West coach Kathy Brehnahan is the author. It s so much better than the movie and gets more into detail with everything that happened. I couldn't put the book down, read it in two days.

Also, on Youtube, the HBO Real Sports 15 minute documentary about Caroline and the 2010/2011 West volleyball seasons is posted. Frank Deford did the story, it's great. On the Youtube subject line, type in Caroline Found, HBO Real Sports

Read the book The Miracle Season (if you haven't) The real IC West coach Kathy Brehnahan is the author. It s so much better than the movie and gets more into detail with everything that happened. I couldn't put the book down, read it in two days.

Also, on Youtube, the HBO Real Sports 15 minute documentary about Caroline and the 2010/2011 West volleyball seasons is posted. Frank Deford did the story, it's great. On the Youtube subject line, type in Caroline Found, HBO Real Sports

Saw the Real Sports story. That was fantastic. I didnt know there was a book out. Will definitely look into that. Thanks.

The book is on it's way. Thanks EstronHawkKing.​

Saw the Real Sports story. That was fantastic. I didnt know there was a book out. Will definitely look into that. Thanks.
I met Caroline Found just one time, it was after one of their playoff volleyball games in 2010. She was very nice and polite young woman. When I heard of her moped accident and passing 9 months later, I was shocked to say the least.

Obviously if The Ironmen turned out like Remember The Titans, it would be a huge, huge win. Remember The Titans is an all-time classic sports movie produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, starring Denzel Washington, and released by Walt Disney Pictures. This Ironmen movie might as well not even exist on the same planet as Remember The Titans.

It’s true that very few historical stories are 100 percent accurate. But unlike Rudy Ruettiger or Vince Papale, Nile Kinnick is already a statewide icon. Because they’re portraying Nile Kinnick and the Ironmen, who are already beloved in Iowa and whose real stories are fondly remembered, Lidd and Heath have an added responsibility to make it as accurate as possible, not just as accurate as they can be bothered to make it.

The problem with asking them to make the movie “mostly accurate” is that they’ll take liberties with the “mostly” part. After all, how accurate is “mostly” accurate?

For example, in Lidd’s book, he writes about how Nile Kinnick met Ronald Reagan. (That never actually happened.) Lidd stretches it a little further, having Kinnick shake hands with Reagan in the Iowa locker room after a big Hawkeye win in 1939. (That definitely never happened.) Then Lidd goes further yet, having Reagan tell Kinnick that he’s going to use Nile as his muse for portraying George Gipp in Knute Rockne, All-American. (Okay, that really, definitely never happened.)

My point is…give Lidd an inch and he’ll take a mile. His book is filled with these types of inaccuracies, and a movie based on that book is only likely to stretch the truth even further. And if there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that Nile Kinnick doesn’t need his life “embellished” with things that we know are definitively untrue. Dramatized, sure…but not embellished. And I just don’t think these guys can tell the difference.

Hollywood also made Secretariat look like an underdog. The movie was still good. And honestly - who cares about the two second interaction with Ronald Reagan?

Show the kid growing into men on the field, Kinnick single-handadly winning a game, and coming together as a team. Cut to him rejecting the pros to sign up for the military, and play his Heisman speech while the plane engine fails and starts to fall from the sky and fade in on a moving eulogy at his funeral while his teammates look on. Ending credits show construction on Kinnick while coach smiles, fade to stadium now, crane shot up over the endzone during the wave. Dissolve to Black. Credits. Play wave on wave.

You touch on an interesting point, which is that the Nile Kinnick/Ironmen story is probably harder to translate to film than you might think.

While the Ironmen are beloved in Iowa lore, it’s hard to make them underdogs on the level of Hoosiers or Miracle. The challenge is that although the Ironmen pulled a couple of improbable, unthinkable upsets over Notre Dame and Minnesota, to be blunt, they didn’t actually win anything. They didn’t win the national title or even a Big Ten title, thanks to the season-ending stumble against Northwestern. The NW game was a mess: it cost Iowa a share of the conference title, Kinnick had his consecutive minutes streak snapped with a separated shoulder, and the game ended in a tie. At least losses are dramatic...ties are just stupid. (By the way, this is only one of so many reasons to hate Northwestern.)

An Ironmen movie would pretty much have to downplay or gloss over that whole game. At any rate, it doesn’t have the satisfying ending that many underdog movies have. (A movie about Warren Holloway would have a better ending, as far as that goes.)

Clearly, Nile Kinnick is the key here - Heisman winner, All-American boy, giving his life for his country. The drawback with Kinnick is that he’s almost too clean-cut...there’s no real drama there.

I think back to a Jim Thorpe movie from decades ago with Burt Lancaster in the lead. Like Kinnick, Thorpe was a legendary athlete. Thorpe was also a drunk, got a divorce, and was a bad father for a while there. He’s nowhere near as admirable as Kinnick, but he also might be seen as more interesting.

The trick is telling the Kinnick story honestly and still making him three-dimensional, not just a prototypical Jesus-like figure. Nile was such a straight arrow that he doesn’t bring a lot of drama to the table, which is a good thing from a personal standpoint but a hurdle for a movie.

(With respect to the Black Panther jokes, the trend really is toward portraying black athletes in a time of segregation. Whether it’s Jackie Robinson (42), Ernie Davis (The Express), or Jesse Owens (Race), black athletes from that time period bring a certain amount of drama to the table by default. Throw in leukemia with Davis or Nazis with Owens, and the conflict is easy to script.)

Don’t get me wrong...a Kinnick and the Ironmen movie isn’t impossible. It just takes a little more craft and experience than some other stories. And at the risk of beating a dead horse, I’ve seen nothing to suggest these guys have what it takes.

I'm guessing the football part of the movie will end with the amazing victory over Notre Dame. that was the pinnacle of Kinnick's career, and the "big victory."

It is an underdog story in the sense that Iowa was PUTRID in 37 and 38 and then achieved an amazing turnaround in 39 with a new coach, Eddie Anderson.

Knowing Hollyweird they will add things that are not true to the movie, probably some bogus love affair they will make up about Kinnick and some female Iowa student that didn't exist. Maybe have Emma Watson as a English transfer student attending Iowa.

In the movie Remember the Titans, they made a bunch of stuff up that didn't happen in reality with that football team. The star LB Garry Buttier did have a car accident that left him paralized, but it didn't happen until after the football season ended, he actually played in the game in real life. Also, in the championship game in the movie, the Titans had to win on the last play of the game, this was not true at all. The Titans blew that opponent out by like 4-5 touchdowns. The Miracle Season had a bunch of made up stuff as well. In the movie it had West High losing to City High in a bogus pre-season volleyball game and forfetting another game to City. This was not at all true, in reality West played City 3 times that year and won all 3 games. The male transfer student who get's involved with Caroline's best friend was also made up, that student never existed in real life. In the movie West had to win like their last 15 games in a row to make the Iowa state volleyball playoff's, this was also not true. The part that made me laugh was when they would travel by bus from Iowa City to Cedar Rapids (20 miles) they had them in a charter bus, yeah right! And when the drove to CR the day of the state championship game, the players had the bus driver pull over on I-380 so they could jump out along the interstate to make snow angles. No bus driver or head coach would ever allow this to happen. Also, that 4A championship day in November in 2011, there was no snow on the ground, it was actually a nice warm sunny day.

Last edited:

This Heisman speech was delivered by Shane Graham during a special script reading event at Film Scene in Iowa City.

Shane Graham (The Son, The Ride, Boyhood) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1782571
Oscar nominated writer Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Time After Time) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0583292
Director Shane Dax Taylor (Bloodworth, Isolation) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1360971
Writer/Producer Joe Heath (Spiral, Reverie Lane) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2812164
Producer Matthew R. Zboyovski (Elbow Grease, Miles Ahead) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0953978/ Executive Producer Lauren Moews (Cabin Fever, Amy’s O, Briar Patch) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0595547/
Producer/Line Producer: Kenneth Burke (Soul Surfer, When The Game Stands Tall, Into the Grizzly Maze) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0121758/

http://facebook.com/TheIronmenMovie
http://twitter.com/TheIronmenMovie

Dr. Eddie Anderson arrives at The University of Iowa in 1939 to a program in shambles having won a single game each of the two previous seasons. Despite low expectations Anderson knew his team could compete with the best if key players never left the field. Determined to have the fittest squad in the nation and implement his high speed no huddle offense he weeded his team from 85 players at the beginning of spring practice to 37 when the season started. Led by Iowa's only Heisman Trophy winner Nile Kinnick, 16 player would play ever minute of at least one game that historic season. They will forever be remembered as The Ironmen!

Script reading shot and cut by Jimmy Morrison (The Bubble, Rocksteppy) https://LetUsDisagree.com

Latest posts