Iowa's Path to a NY6 Game

BVHawk95

As Rob stated in another thread, Iowa's only real shot at making an NY6 bowl comes with being ranked in the top 12, though it is not unheard of to make it within the top 16, but we'd need to have a good reputation with the committee, or at least a better reputation than our peers. Still not very likely, but it's our jobs as fans to ponder the potential outcomes and hypotheticals, so here we go.

If Iowa wants a shot at a NY6 bowl, we need a laundry list of extra help, but it's possible:

1) Win out (duh). Doing so convincingly would help our case even further.

2) We need some teams ahead of us to lose. The most likely scenarios for Iowa to move up significantly would be as follows:

#11 Florida (8-2) gets upset by FSU (6-5). Possible, and not entirely unlikely, because a) rivalry game, and b) Florida's recent downsurge, loss of starting QB, and the potential of FSU's roster.

#12 Wisconsin (8-2) loses to either of Purdue (4-6) or #11 Minnesota (9-1). Technically a Wisconsin win over Minny could help us, but I feel like Iowa has a better chance of jumping a 9-3 Wisconsin than a 10-2 Minny. Don't sleep on Purdue though, their offense is built to attack Wisconsin's secondary and their riding high after emotional wins against Nebraska and Northwestern.

#13 Michigan (8-2) loses to either of Indiana (7-3) or #2 OSU (10-0). Loss to (an admittedly tough) Indiana would hurt perceptions of the Wolverines more IMO, though I don't foresee them keeping it close with the Buckeyes either.

#14 Baylor (9-1) loses to Texas (6-4), then loses B12CCG to #9 OU (9-1). Perception of a 10-3 Baylor squad that would have limped to the finish line once hitting the meat of their schedule, losing 3 of their last 4 might favor Iowa. Texas is reeling right now, but have the talent to take down the Bears.

#15 Auburn (7-3) loses to #5 Alabama (9-1). Here's a bit tricky, as Auburn remains the only team to ever be selected for the NY6 at 8-4 in 2016, and the SEC bias is still heavy in the committee. However, I'd have to say this scenario would favor Iowa, as Auburn would have gone 3-4 after starting 5-0.

#16 Notre Dame (8-2) loses to either of Boston College (5-5), or Stanford (4-6). ND's perception struggled mightily after getting walloped by Michigan, and neither of these teams are very good. Seems the least likely scenario on this list IMO.

Not really worried about G5 teams since the highest ranked gets an auto-bid (currently #18 Memphis (9-1)), and no others get picked, and not worried about being jumped by any of the P5 teams behind us (#21 Oklahoma State (7-3), #22 Iowa State (6-4), #23 Southern Cal (7-4))

3) Continue to have a good perception as a traveling fanbase, and just generally be attractive as a bowl opponent. Really the only one we as fans can affect, though also the most limited in influence.

So, a lot needs to happen, and its a bit of a pipe dream, but one can hope, and it gives us as fans rooting interests in games that would otherwise have no bearing on us.

#11 Florida (8-2) gets upset by FSU (6-5). Possible, and not entirely unlikely, because a) rivalry game, and b) Florida's recent downsurge, loss of starting QB, and the potential of FSU's roster.
The loss of the starting QB was addition by subtraction fyi

The loss of the starting QB was addition by subtraction fyi
Pretty fair argument, though Franks was far from a slouch.
Dude, this season is like all others but the championship year.....lost with multiple conference games to play.
Well shit there goes all the enjoyment I get from watching Iowa games. I guess if we can only ever have one goal, what's the point?

Also, not even close to the point of this post.

It’s too bad ND came back and lucked out to beat VT. Had they lost that one Iowa would have somewhat of a chance. It’s pretty much a pipe dream at this point.

We are basically 6 spots back (17-12+1 group of 5 team)

I can see us passing Baylor and Auburn. Michigan would have to lose twice. I doubt we jump a three loss Wisconsin team who beat us.

Notre Dame being in front of us even though they haven’t really beat anyone and got walloped by Michigan. That’s name recognition. Wait is ND considered a G5 team?

Iowa just needs to win out. Will still get a decent bowl and can finish top 15 with a win.

As Rob stated in another thread, Iowa's only real shot at making an NY6 bowl comes with being ranked in the top 12, though it is not unheard of to make it within the top 16, but we'd need to have a good reputation with the committee, or at least a better reputation than our peers. Still not very likely, but it's our jobs as fans to ponder the potential outcomes and hypotheticals, so here we go.

If Iowa wants a shot at a NY6 bowl, we need a laundry list of extra help, but it's possible:

1) Win out (duh). Doing so convincingly would help our case even further.

Yes, winning out gives the hawks a 5-1 record over the last half of the season and the only loss being by 2 pts to a ranked Wisky team. But I think Minny and their fans will be rewarded before Iowa depending on how their fans have traveled in the past. But who from MN wouldnt want to go south to warm weather for about a week.

Yes, winning out gives the hawks a 5-1 record over the last half of the season and the only loss being by 2 pts to a ranked Wisky team. But I think Minny and their fans will be rewarded before Iowa depending on how their fans have traveled in the past. But who from MN wouldnt want to go south to warm weather for about a week.

If any Gopher fans are reading this, please stay out of the South. You would hate it. Thx.

It’s too bad ND came back and lucked out to beat VT. Had they lost that one Iowa would have somewhat of a chance. It’s pretty much a pipe dream at this point.

We are basically 6 spots back (17-12+1 group of 5 team)

I can see us passing Baylor and Auburn. Michigan would have to lose twice. I doubt we jump a three loss Wisconsin team who beat us.

Notre Dame being in front of us even though they haven’t really beat anyone and got walloped by Michigan. That’s name recognition. Wait is ND considered a G5 team?

Iowa just needs to win out. Will still get a decent bowl and can finish top 15 with a win.
Unfortunately a lot of this has to do with name recognition.

I get giving Alabama the benefit of the doubt, but now that they have one of their weakest defenses in recent memory, a garbage schedule, and are missing the guy who made their offense go, having them at #5 seems to be a slap in the face to other, more deserving teams like Oregon, Utah, or Penn State.

Agreed. Barring a total collapse by them I don't see us jumping Minny.

Agreed. Barring a total collapse by them I don't see us jumping Minny.
I don’t know how the rules all work, but I could totally see a bowl committee taking Iowa over a two loss Minny team (that doesn’t go to the B1G champ). We travel way better, own a head to head victory, and have a much tougher schedule.

The problem is PSU, UW, and Michigan would all still be out in front of us. That’s probably going to be too much to overcome.

Here’s a random thought.

Penn State narrowly beats OSU this weekend and rolls in the B1G championship. OSU then wallops Michigan. Do both those teams make the playoff? If you could get two B1G teams in the playoff it would help Iowa’s chances at a NY6 I think.

Here’s a random thought.

Penn State narrowly beats OSU this weekend and rolls in the B1G championship. OSU then wallops Michigan. Do both those teams make the playoff? If you could get two B1G teams in the playoff it would help Iowa’s chances at a NY6 I think.

No they wouldn't, and this isn't happening either.

Here’s a random thought.

I don't see how that scenario hurts us, but I'm not sure the committee would be willing to put 2 Big Ten teams in if there are still several 1 loss conference champs plus an undefeated Clemson.

The Big Ten has the record for most teams in the NY6 with 4 back in 2016:

OSU in the Fiesta (Semifinal)
Michigan in the Orange
Wisconsin in the Cotton
Penn State in the Rose

Interestingly enough, OSU was chosen despite not winning the conference.

I would say that unless whoever represents the West ends up with 3 losses, one of which being a total ass-blasting by OSU (or a second one in Wisconsin's case), both B1GCCG participants will likely be NY6 teams, with Penn State being the most likely 3rd unless they collapse as well.

Essentially, it's Iowa, Wisconsin/Minnesota, and Michigan fighting for a 4th spot that may not even exist.

I think a NY6 bowl picks Iowa over Minnesota. I don't recall Minnesota fans traveling well and full stadiums are very important to NY6 bowls.

Here’s a random thought.

I say the best bet is for OSU to win out and crush either MInny or Wisky in the Conf Champ game. It might work out better if Minny beats Wisky to give them 3 losses and they end on a loss so that a Iowa 9-3 maybe jumps over Wisky.

And if OSU were to crush MInny in the title game they have 2 losses and Iowa beat them head to head.

Wisky still has a bad loss to Illinois, I think it is a bad loss.

If Iowa loses it is moot.

I say the best bet is for OSU to win out and crush either MInny or Wisky in the Conf Champ game. It might work out better if Minny beats Wisky to give them 3 losses and they end on a loss so that a Iowa 9-3 maybe jumps over Wisky.

And if OSU were to crush MInny in the title game they have 2 losses and Iowa beat them head to head.

Wisky still has a bad loss to Illinois, I think it is a bad loss.

If Iowa loses it is moot.

But I think the Big Ten sends Minnesota to the Rose Bowl in this scenario. If we are hoping for a NY6 bowl our best path would be for Wisconsin to wind up winning the West as then Iowa could jump Minnesota.

Nobody tell Stanley we are still playing for something

This is funny. But in reality the kid, and he is just a young man, has played pretty well. he is an above avg qb, but he can throw across the hashes with speed and decent accuracy.

You never can tell what might happen with him when he practices football 24-7 and maybe has a top notch QB coach. I mean I can see when he has lazy or bad footwork and it makes him open up his left shoulder to less accurate.

Latest posts