Iowa's "Lack of Talent"

This is BS.

I keep reading from different journalists, posters, etc... that Iowa doesn't have the talent to compete. What horsecrap.

I heard the same damn thing this fall when people were talking about the Iowa football team. It's an ok team, but there aren't any great athletes on that team, blah blah blah.

This Iowa BB team DOES have talent.

Cully Payne is a very talented PG (makes frosh mistakes, but has the talent).
Eric May is one of the most athletic players in the Big Ten.
Matt Gatens would start on any other Big Ten team.
A healthy Fuller has proven what he can do in the Big Ten.
Cole, when given a chance, is effective as well on the boards and down low.
Even Cougill has shown flashes at the Big Ten level.

Call me out for standing up for the guys on this team, but some people think we are working with DIII talent here, and it's not the case.

The issue is the depth. Iowa has talented ball players. They just need a little more help. That Top 30 class is going to help out.

We've got talent on this team, it's too bad people can't see that sometimes.

Very cogent point, spank. And to expound further, Lick's guys do not have the recruiting stars or reputations that other teams enjoy. I called Eric May a "headscratcher" when we signed him and he might be the most talented player on the team. Yet how many offers did he have? A few, but from the majors?

I think Lick can spot talent. When he is a few more years down the road I doubt freshmen will see many minutes in his system. He wants guys he can mold and develop, not guys who can play right away. He is looking for a different kind of player than many coaches. I am starting to see this.

Fast forward 2 years. These guys are going to be really good. And their backups will come from a group who are where they are now. I am looking forward to that.

Do some of these young men have talent, yes.....but here is the problem.....they have the same talents.

We are missing some talents that make a team successful...we need someone with the talent to create shots off the dribble and finish at the rim, we are missing someone with the talent to break someone down off the dribble so we don't have to hoist 30 ft three pointers at the end of the shot clock (for the last 4 min of the game).We are missing the talents of someone who has low post moves with his back to the basket.

A team has to have talented players, but they must have the mix of the right talents. Iowa is lacking in three critical areas and won't be worth a crap until those types of players are in the system.

I like people's optimism, but what has this team really done.....didley squat.

Maybe Larson is the back to basket guy, maybe Marble is the slashing finisher, and maybe Brust is the breakdown off the dribble guy but historically evidence suggests against it.

I think we have a new coach in 2011-12. Just wish we didnt have to wait that long.

This is BS.

I keep reading from different journalists, posters, etc... that Iowa doesn't have the talent to compete. What horsecrap.

I heard the same damn thing this fall when people were talking about the Iowa football team. It's an ok team, but there aren't any great athletes on that team, blah blah blah.

Call me out for standing up for the guys on this team, but some people think we are working with DIII talent here, and it's not the case.

The issue is the depth. Iowa has talented ball players. They just need a little more help. That Top 30 class is going to help out.

I agree 100%. This is it! Go Hawks!

Re: Iowa's "Lack of Talent"

This is BS.

Stormin',

There's SOME talent on this team, just not enough. I like watching this team now and that's a complete 180 from December. I HATED watching this team. People keep talking about us needing a PG. Well yes, we probably would benefit from a PG with more experience (i.e. Peterson) so that Cully wouldn't be forced to play so many minutes. But ability-wise he's doing a pretty good job. Makes freshman mistakes but guess what? He's a freshman. I can live with them.

What Iowa is missing right now is someone who can get to the rim. Point blank. We don't have one guy, right now, that can use that ball screen and get to the basket and score. At least do it enough for it to be effective.

I like what I'm seeing right now.
________
ZOLOFT PROBLEMS

Last edited:
Stormin',

There's SOME talent on this team, just not enough. I like watching this team now and that's a complete 180 from December. I HATED watching this team. People keep talking about us needing a PG. Well yes, we probably would benefit from a PG with more experience (i.e. Peterson) so that Cully wouldn't be forced to play so many minutes. But ability-wise he's doing a pretty good job. Makes freshman mistakes but guess what? He's a freshman. I can live with them.

What Iowa is missing right now is someone who can get to the rim. Point blank. We don't have one guy, right now, that can use that ball screen and get to the basket and score. At least do it enough for it to be effective.

I like what I'm seeing right now.

Coach talked about this very thing in his postgame. (Being able to finish at the rim) So good point, mess.

This is BS.

Amen! I really like the core of this team, with some more depth we have some potential. The nice thing is the core is very young

I disagree with Stormin here. Iowa has some talent but not enough talent to win in the Big Ten. As an earlier poster stated, Iowa needs a No. 1 option, somebody you get the ball to with 8 seconds left on the shot clock and can create their own shot or create a good opportunity for a teammate.

Right now Gatens is that guy for Iowa and he is not that type of player. Gatens would be a great 3rd option on a quality B10 team. He's a glue guy...doesn't do anything great but does a lot of things well. Gatens is not at this level but think Shane Battier for those Duke teams.

Iowa also doesn't have a post presence that demands attention from an opposing defense. Cole is a good garbage man but he is not a great finisher and does not have the necessary post moves to be effective as a low post scorer.

May is athletic but he is not an athletic scorer like Haluska was. However, he is obviously a freshman so I think he could get there. I liked his move last night where he got the high screen and took it to the hole and drew the foul. Him and maybe Gatens are the only guys on Iowa's roster capable of doing that.

I'm all for giving Lickliter another year. By the end of next year we should be able to see whether the team is headed in the right direction. Actually, I just got a little excited thinking about Gatens senior year...if this 2010 class lives up to the hype and Lick can acquire a couple other pieces, the team should definitely be a tournament team.

May is athletic but he is not an athletic scorer like Haluska was. However, he is obviously a freshman so I think he could get there. I liked his move last night where he got the high screen and took it to the hole and drew the foul. Him and maybe Gatens are the only guys on Iowa's roster capable of doing that.

Haluska scored 9.2 PPG as a freshman and was named to the All Big12 Freshman team.

Eric May is averaging 9.3 PPG as a freshman.

Is anyone saying Iowa is completely devoid of Division I or Big Ten qaulity talent? I don't think so. We have some players who are above average and some with the potential to be more than above average Big Ten players.

Still, relative to our Big Ten competition, our talent is inferior to that of most of the league, even if measured only by the starting five. There might only be one or two teams in the league whose talent I wouldn't trade for right now, and those are the two teams we've beaten. If we project to next season, though, I would still take IU's overall talent over ours.

Do we have the talent to make the dance in a couple of years? Maybe..

Do we recruit the talent to be a top 10 program? No

We need Raveling's recruiting classes to be on a national level again.

Spank, it seems like you're saying our starters have decent talent. Beyond that, it would seem like we have a depth problem. It could be argued that "depth problem" equates to "not having enough talent sitting on the bench. Semantics.

I look forward to the progression of this team in the next two years. Guys will be getting more experience. We will be adding more talented players to this core group (depth). I'm excited. It's nice to see some competition. It's hard to watch a team that can't compete. This has been fun.

No it's not. They are too completely different things.

Lack of Depth.
Lack of Talent.

Not remotely the same.

This team has a Lack of Depth. It does not have a Lack of Talent. The players that ARE on the team are talented... and some people have a hard time seeing or admitting that.

I think we can all agree--we are lacking depthly talent.

I can't name one Iowa player that would start for Texas, Kansas, Duke, North carolina, Kentucky.

The Goal is a national championship, correct? With the incomming talent, do you think a NC is a reasonable goal.

if we don't get the athletes, schedule Iowa for the NIT or maybe a dance appearance here and there.

Did Haluska play 30+ minutes a night as a freshman?

Nope....... Adam started all 31 games for ISU his freshman season averageing 28.6 minutes a game.

Eric May is averaging 29.6 minutes per game as a freshman.

You.......

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...nw=123&prev=/images?q=beaver+fail&gbv=2&hl=en
failbeaver.jpg

PS I'm not doing any more research for you.

Is anyone saying Iowa is completely devoid of Division I or Big Ten qaulity talent? I don't think so. We have some players who are above average and some with the potential to be more than above average Big Ten players.

Still, relative to our Big Ten competition, our talent is inferior to that of most of the league, even if measured only by the starting five. There might only be one or two teams in the league whose talent I wouldn't trade for right now, and those are the two teams we've beaten. If we project to next season, though, I would still take IU's overall talent over ours.

I would agree with this. But then getting back to Spank's original point, as Duffman already stated we are talking more about potential than talent. This team (assuming no defections) has a lot of potential for 2010-11.

Nope....... Adam started all 31 games for ISU his freshman season averageing 28.6 minutes a game.

Eric May is averaging 29.6 minutes per game as a freshman.

You.......

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...nw=123&prev=/images?q=beaver+fail&gbv=2&hl=en
failbeaver.jpg

PS I'm not doing any more research for you.

Why do research if you can get someone else to do it for you?

There's no point in arguing as I believe we feel the same way. May has the potential to be good. With continued work he could develop into the scorer Haluska became. However, I think it could be argued May appears more athletic due to the team he plays on. Kind of like taking the hot girl from Drake and putting her on Arizona State's campus...she doesn't look as good anymore.

Latest posts