Iowa's best quarterback the last 2 years

This is too stupid to even attempt a reply to........sorry about what your aunt and uncle did to you, Banjer........

You won't reply because you can't.

The fact remains that he WAS a fullback, NO ONE knew he would have that kind of success at running back, not his HS coach, not his coaches at Air Force or any coach at any school but you only focus on the fact that Ferentz had him playing fullback. You do that because it fits your argument, you and all the Ferentz haters do simple minded things like that.

Yep, my post was too stupid, RIGHT!

I don't think you can compare someone who sees him in practice every day and doesn't realize his potential with someone who wasn't even recruiting him.

The point was no one knew he would have that kind of success. He was a full back but Iowa was running out of options and he had success at running back.

People like MythOfFerentz like to twist situations to make it look like Ferentz is stupid and wasting talent. Believe what you want about Ferentz but no one could have possibly knew Weisman was going to be that successful at running back.

I don't like the arguement that since past people failed to realize something it makes it ok for kirk not to. Also maybe Weisman was a late bloomer and just recently started coming on strong. I don't think Weisman starting at fullback is proof that Kirk is bad at putting players in the right place (position or starting) but it is one more thing to show he's not great at it. Especially him not using Weisman in short yardage situations more.

I don't like the arguement that since past people failed to realize something it makes it ok for kirk not to. Also maybe Weisman was a late bloomer and just recently started coming on strong. I don't think Weisman starting at fullback is proof that Kirk is bad at putting players in the right place (position or starting) but it is one more thing to show he's not great at it. Especially him not using Weisman in short yardage situations more.

I'm glad you don't like that argument that's fine but that argument is more relevant than what MythOfFerentz or what the OP are trying to say.

No one has seen Hyde play QB, no one had seen Weisman play RB so please, please tell my why Ferentz would have thought that Hyde should play QB over Vandy who in '11 throw for 25 TDs and why Ferentz should have thought that Weisman would have been able to be the running back he is now?

Maybe Ferentz isn't great at putting players in the correct position but I guarantee some guy who starts a thread on HN who has no college football coaching or scouting experience isn't better than Ferentz or any other coach.

I'm glad you don't like that argument that's fine but that argument is more relevant than what MythOfFerentz or what the OP are trying to say.

No one has seen Hyde play QB, no one had seen Weisman play RB so please, please tell my why Ferentz would have thought that Hyde should play QB over Vandy who in '11 throw for 25 TDs and why Ferentz should have thought that Weisman would have been able to be the running back he is now?

Maybe Ferentz isn't great at putting players in the correct position but I guarantee some guy who starts a thread on HN who has no college football coaching or scouting experience isn't better than Ferentz or any other coach.

Just trying to provoke some conversation. No way was Hyde going to play QB, this year or last, because he was doing well at CB, this being among a variety of other reasons. But after a gluttonous amount of college football watching over the past couple of days, and watching all the success of athletic QBs, it occurred to me that Hyde would have been a helluva QB at Iowa, I believe. I'm more convinced this is the type of QB needed for success in college, and in an increasing rate in the NFL.

With the injured OL and no solid WR you could have had Joe Montana back there and we only would have won maybe 5 games. Im not even going to mention GD's system.

So you're saying that a qb with Joe Montana talent would only win 1 more game?

MV5BNjQxMzI5MDE3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE1NTQyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

Just trying to provoke some conversation. No way was Hyde going to play QB, this year or last, because he was doing well at CB, this being among a variety of other reasons. But after a gluttonous amount of college football watching over the past couple of days, and watching all the success of athletic QBs, it occurred to me that Hyde would have been a helluva QB at Iowa, I believe. I'm more convinced this is the type of QB needed for success in college, and in an increasing rate in the NFL.

Provoking conversation is saying "Hyde was a QB in HS, maybe he could have been a Brad Banks type QB if give the chance", not saying "Iowa's best quarterback the last 2 years was playing CB". You have no idea if he can play QB at the college level.

When you word it the way you did, it insinuates that you KNOW he would be that good and that he was the best QB and Ferentz wasted his talents on his playing CB to play a lesser talented guy at QB.

Provoking conversation is saying "Hyde was a QB in HS, maybe he could have been a Brad Banks type QB if give the chance", not saying "Iowa's best quarterback the last 2 years was playing CB". You have no idea if he can play QB at the college level.

When you word it the way you did, it insinuates that you KNOW he would be that good and that he was the best QB and Ferentz wasted his talents on his playing CB to play a lesser talented guy at QB.
Dude, give it up...none of us is beng paid $4,000,000 per year to KNOW! It's painfully obvious from his record, that the one man who is getting paid $4,000,000 per year to KNOW, does not!

Dude, give it up...none of us is beng paid $4,000,000 per year to KNOW! It's painfully obvious from his record, that the one man who is getting paid $4,000,000 per year to KNOW, does not!

You of all people want me to give it up?

You are so obssessed with Ferentz bashing that you lose sight of all logic.

But this OP was worded so that it appeared as if Homes knew or thought Hyde was in fact the best QB, which he didn't. I am sure Homes truly wanted to provoke conversation, not an argument but you on the other hand enjoy anything that makes Ferentz look stupid, even if it lacks real logic or common sense.

He would have been (I believe he would have been, is there a difference?) Iowa's best QB of the players on the roster, if given the chance to develop, but his talent wasn't wasted. In fact, Ferentz probably did him a favor, because he's going to get drafted. In the end, it's just an opinion.

He would have been (I believe he would have been, is there a difference?) Iowa's best QB of the players on the roster, if given the chance to develop, but his talent wasn't wasted. In fact, Ferentz probably did him a favor, because he's going to get drafted. In the end, it's just an opinion.

I understand it is was just your opinion but I just think a lot of people didn't know what you were saying and people like MythOfFerentz use it to further their argument that Ferentz is a crappy coach.

Sure, given the chance maybe he could have been but odds are stacked pretty high against that possibility, that is my opinion.

If he really wanted to be a QB he would have gone to a school that wanted him as a QB.

I understand it is was just your opinion but I just think a lot of people didn't know what you were saying and people like MythOfFerentz use it to further their argument that Ferentz is a crappy coach.

Sure, given the chance maybe he could have been but odds are stacked pretty high against that possibility, that is my opinion.

If he really wanted to be a QB he would have gone to a school that wanted him as a QB.

He is stimulating conversation as said.

KF does have a history for turning qb's into something else.

Clearly Vandenberg was the best QB on the roster. He was so good that Iowa was the only team in the nation which didn't play their second string QB at any point in the season. He was THAT good. I know, I know, it never showed on game day but he really was wicked awesome.

Am I right!?

With the injured OL and no solid WR you could have had Joe Montana back there and we only would have won maybe 5 games. Im not even going to mention GD's system.

Thank you. Finally someone who says something smart on this forum. Most of you can't figure this out. Good **** calculator!

He is stimulating conversation as said.

KF does have a history for turning qb's into something else.

KF does have a history of turning qb's into something else but it is because of they are athletic. Most HS QB's are the most athletic player on their team. Most of them can't play QB at the college level, let alone Division 1 football.

So you're saying that a qb with Joe Montana talent would only win 1 more game?

MV5BNjQxMzI5MDE3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE1NTQyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

I had the same observation. Not sure about Montana but I think with Rick Stanzi at QB we would have won 7-8 games and played in a bowl. Central Michigan and Indiana for sure. Possibly ISU, Purdue, Northwestern and even Nebraska.

Iowa typically has a lot of former qbs on their team. It is because of our recruiting area. In our area you typically have your best player at qb. So we recruit the best player. But if they ran option in hs they know they aren't a college qb so we change their position. Typically hs qb's are some of your smartest players also making their transition easier.

Someone please look up how many players on our roster have been former qbs in hs. Because I believe that it may be higher than people realize for our skill positions and some defenders.

Someone please look up how many players on our roster have been former qbs in hs. Because I believe that it may be higher than people realize for our skill positions and some defenders.

Not sure of the number, but I remember a year or two ago it was said that we had like 20 or 25 players on our roster that played qb in hs.

As said previously, often times, the most athletic player on a team in hs is the qb.

Also, I would bet, while athletic, many of these former hs qb's probably can't throw an accurate deep ball, possibly/probably including Hyde. I am comfortable with our current qb rotation (3 deep)...i'd just would have liked the opportunity to have seen them rotate at least once.

Latest posts