Iowa withheld some athletes from competition

Even before AI became what it is, books had sophisticated programs to detect unusual betting patterns and results. That is how they detect these things. The betters get greedy and overbet the situation. There is such a high volume of bets that patterns emerge. If a game is expected to have 350k in total bets and it garners 2 million and an unexpected result in favor of a few gamblers emerges, the computer flags that.

And here, the alleged perps are college kids, so judgment and discretion may not be there highest traits.

Yeah, bookies really hate losing. They really, really hate it. And now that they have been legitimized they can use the feds to

Total speculation and probably unfair, but Keagan Johnson's injury always seemed a bit fishy and we all thought so at the time. He was always making progress and was almost ready to return...for 3-4 months. I've never heard his name mentioned with any of this so it's probably just one dumb guy's random thoughts at 3 in the morning.
Had the same thought. That said, I think there were other things going on with him. Either way, it may be that that room was a lot shittier than we thought. And we thought it sucked pretty bad.

If the gambit was to bet the second half under for Iowa, its clever at least. Even without his "help" its probably a good bet. :) He could try as hard as he wants in the first half and seem to be a good player. Then have a couple drops or trips in the second half and no one would notice in the grand scheme of Iowa's terrible offense. BF's stank largely would cover that up. If the bets were low stakes enough and not traceable back to him, this is probably something he could get away with. But, clearly one of these assumptions is not true IF he is being investigated by the feds.

I wonder if all this has anything to do with Bruce transferring? Maybe he thought he'd get out of town in front of the posse.

Also, for all we know, he could have been betting on Iowa for the second half. Still very illegal and would get him in just as much trouble.

If the gambit was to bet the second half under for Iowa, its clever at least. Even without his "help" its probably a good bet. :) He could try as hard as he wants in the first half and seem to be a good player. Then have a couple drops or trips in the second half and no one would notice in the grand scheme of Iowa's terrible offense. BF's stank largely would cover that up. If the bets were low stakes enough and not traceable back to him, this is probably something he could get away with. But, clearly one of these assumptions is not true IF he is being investigated by the feds.

At the end of the day if any player on this offense was gambling adverse to Iowa then I think Brian Ferentz is owed many things. First, an apology from the fans. Second, an evergreen contract to remain OC as long as his dad is coach. Third, a binding commitment to make Brian the next head coach. Brian could potentially be a victim here and as a potential victim he should be given recompense.

There's a reason gambling was pretty much illegal for decades and the ability to buy off players was the number one rationale. Even at the pro level if you have a backup guard making near league minimum starting for a team like Kansas City due to an injury there is a massive opportunity for that guy to contribute to point shaving. I think the pro leagues got comfortable begging Congress to allow gambling because they saw it as a way to renew interest in their leagues and they operate under the assumption that their players are highly enough compensated to mitigate cheating risk.

Allowing gambling on college sports at all is a terrible idea with or without NIL money. The ability to buy off the long snapper or sixth man can absolutely sway the outcome of a game or if the spread is hit and it is hard to police. With the ability of shady guys to communicate with these guys via social media it makes a potentially infinite hole that you can never plug for enforcement. I can see them allowing gambling around the tournament because I don't think many guys would take the bait on such a big stage, but some game like Furman v. Wofford or Drake v. UNI should categorically not have a line established.

As a society we have absolutely no collective memory. No one is willing to admit that gambling on college sports created a lot of problems in the past. I am glad that the state I live in does not allow sports gambling and I hope there is some pushback against this crap. It is dangerous for the sanctity of the game and with the constant line of communication between the bookie (i.e., the app) and the user there is far too much propensity of creating huge problems in our society, particularly among young men. This ain't the gambling of yesteryear. This shit now uses algorithms developed in conjunction with psychologists specifically targeted to create dopamine releases targeted to create addiction and the entire interaction is designed to keep the user coming back. So if a guy gets hammered on a line and it is clear by halftime that he ain't gonna cover it the bookie will send all sorts of promos to get the user to keep making bets on the game. It's an absolutely abhorrent practice.

Your state will cave at some point when they really need or see the $$$$, they all do. We can't live frugally as a society anymore. Everybody has to have everything. It's the mindset of our people now including the dirty politicians.

Not much doubt, is there? The guy had over 200 carries that season with only a single fumble. Then fumbles four times in the first half on a dry day in Pasadena. Throw in a wide open dropped touchdown pass, from a guy who ultimately was considered one of the best receiving running backs in NFL history.

We already know he was being paid his senior year, and it's been established those agents had ties to one of the five families in New York.

I'm sure he was in a tight spot. I'm guessing he did it out of fear for his family's safety rather than a big pay day.

Still hurts though. Iowa wins that one and they finish 11-1, #2 in the country, Rose Bowl champions. Still trying to check a couple of those boxes...

Yea, on a couple of those plays, the ball miraculously just seem to fly out of his hands for no reason, no hit or anything. Rather odd.

Hear me out...

Maybe Brain and Kurt are behind this whole thing...

Brian sucks so bad that they can't keep the donors at bay anymore, so Kurt offers Bruce a Rubbermaid tote full of cash and some nudies as collateral in order to be a fall guy and make it look like players were shaving points instead of his kid being the worst OC in the history of organized football.

Makes a whole lot more sense now.

At the end of the day if any player on this offense was gambling adverse to Iowa then I think Brian Ferentz is owed many things. First, an apology from the fans. Second, an evergreen contract to remain OC as long as his dad is coach. Third, a binding commitment to make Brian the next head coach. Brian could potentially be a victim here and as a potential victim he should be given recompense.

There's a reason gambling was pretty much illegal for decades and the ability to buy off players was the number one rationale. Even at the pro level if you have a backup guard making near league minimum starting for a team like Kansas City due to an injury there is a massive opportunity for that guy to contribute to point shaving. I think the pro leagues got comfortable begging Congress to allow gambling because they saw it as a way to renew interest in their leagues and they operate under the assumption that their players are highly enough compensated to mitigate cheating risk.
For the statue, do we go with a simple yet elegant version of him looking across the field, play card to his lips, the three dimensional chess player at work?

Or do we try to capture the passion? Perhaps it is a re-creation of the press box scene against Minnesota in 2017, the statue capturing Brian in mid-stride on his way to the replay official's booth, his lips pursed with an expletive as he rightfully seeks justice for the Hawkeyes?

Hear me out...

Brian sucks so bad that they can't keep the donors at bay anymore, so Kurt offers Bruce a Rubbermaid tote full of cash and some nudies as collateral in order to be a fall guy and make it look like players were shaving points instead of his kid being the worst OC in the history of organized football.

The only difference between a conspiracy theory and the truth is about 6 months. You may be onto something.

For the statue, do we go with a simple yet elegant version of him looking across the field, play card to his lips, the three dimensional chess player at work?

Or do we try to capture the passion? Perhaps it is a re-creation of the press box scene against Minnesota in 2017, the statue capturing Brian in mid-stride on his way to the replay official's booth, his lips pursed with an expletive as he rightfully seeks justice for the Hawkeyes?

I was thinking a statue of him sitting at a desk with his head slouched over a form that has "Section 8 Housing Application" etched into it.

I find it hard to believe that this will be anything other that guys betting reasonable amounts on games to make a buck. I would be real surprised if this were Hedake Smith level fixing of games and stuff.

I'd of guessed the bets were coming in on our football team and the athlete's taking the under. I mean come on...our offense almost makes it too easy at times.

I'd of guessed the bets were coming in on our football team and the athlete's taking the under. I mean come on...our offense almost makes it too easy at times.
I don't understand gambling in general. Honestly.

If I put down $100 on a team I'd be so scared shitless of losing my hard-earned money that it wouldn't be enjoyable to me. When it first got legalized in Iowa I put $50 in a DK account and it lasted me like 3 months. Placed some small bets of like $20 and some obvious parlays because I was too scared to make anything bigger. I have friends in my same age group who have a few grand in their accounts and they are constantly up or down throughout the year. I don't know how they do it...I'd be petrified.

My gambling history consists of $60 at a Meskwaki blackjack table in probably 2002 or 2003, $20 in a slot machine at Wild Rose during Ragbrai in 2012 ish, and the Draft Kings stuff a couple years ago that I mentioned earlier.

I 100% understand that people do it for the adrenaline rush, but my brain doesn't work that way. I don't get a rush, I get a feeling of remorse and stupidity and that's just with placing a total of $130 in my entire life.

Hear me out...

I assume you carefully researched this information? Oh.Wait. Never mind…